PDA

View Full Version : DJV Imaging 0.8.2 Beta

3rdrail
08-01-2009, 06:37 PM
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to let you know that a new beta version of DJV Imaging has been released; highlights include:

* 64-bit versions available for Linux and Windows
* Support for OS X on Intel hardware
* Support for the IFF image file format
* Lots and lots of bug fixes

Web site: http://djv.sourceforge.net
Downloads: http://djv.sourceforge.net/download.html

More general information about the project:

DJV Imaging provides professional movie playback software for film production, VFX, and computer animation.

Features:

* Versions available for Linux, Mac OS, Solaris, and Windows
* Works with both image sequences and movie files
* Supports high dynamic range images
* Uses OpenGL for accelerated image processing
* Support for industry standard file formats including Cineon, DPX, OpenEXR, and QuickTime
* Includes command line utilities for batch image processing

As always, any feedback is very much appreciated.

Thanks, Darby

PS. I've had some pretty crazy contract work for the last year and a half, so I apologize for not being very active on the DJV mailing list, responding to emails, etc. The good news though is that I'm currently in the process of trying to get more people involved in working on DJV, so expect some cool features on the way like audio support and a new Qt user-interface...

hominid
08-01-2009, 07:42 PM
It looks very good so far. Image sequences load up nice and quick.

ok here's a couple of minor issues:

I'd like to see a tree view of folders in the file open dialog. However, I've found that I like to use it with a standard windows file viewer and just drag the first file of a sequence into the djv window and launch it that way.

Could you perhaps make a preference to display the end point buttons to the right of the start point instead of the right edge of the screen? On a large display I'm having having to hunt around with the mouse more.

Other than that, very nice. Keep up the great work. Thanks!

Pete

In the future it would be cool to have some audio support for checking sequences against a wav file for example. Or simply playing the audio in a mov file.

StefanA
08-01-2009, 07:47 PM
yes! audio support would be moooooooooost welcome! :) djv_view is a great application and I use it almost everyday, but the lack of sound support is preventing me to use it *all* the time :)

Glad to hear that you found some more developers!

regards
stefan andersson

3rdrail
08-01-2009, 08:09 PM
ok here's a couple of minor issues:

I'd like to see a tree view of folders in the file open dialog. However, I've found that I like to use it with a standard windows file viewer and just drag the first file of a sequence into the djv window and launch it that way.

Once the software is ported to Qt advanced widgets like tree-views will become possible, but that's probably 3-6 months away...

Could you perhaps make a preference to display the end point buttons to the right of the start point instead of the right edge of the screen? On a large display I'. having having to hunt around with the mouse more.

That's a good idea.

In the future it would be cool to have some audio support for checking sequences against a wav file for example. Or simply playing the audio in a mov file.

We are actually pretty close to getting audio working for QuickTime files, hopefully there will be a version for testing within a couple of weeks. Audio support for file sequences will come after that.

Thanks, Darby

JohnnyRandom
08-01-2009, 09:13 PM
Cool, thanks for the update!

The only issue the I find bothersome is when I maximize to full screen the clip preview isn't screen centered (vers 0.8.2-pre7).

Other than that it is super and many thanks for the continued effort :)

3rdrail
08-01-2009, 09:50 PM
The only issue the I find bothersome is when I maximize to full screen the clip preview isn't screen centered (vers 0.8.2-pre7).

Hi,

Try opening the preferences dialog and changing an option called "Resizing" under the "View" tab. I think the "Center" option is the one you want.

Darby

Cheesestraws
08-01-2009, 09:57 PM
How is the support for multi-channel exr files?

brkn
08-01-2009, 11:55 PM
Thanks very much! We use it all the time at work and the new version looks great.

bobtronic
08-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Thank you very much for your continued effort. DJV is my favourite RAM player.

cheers,
Matthias

bmwolf
08-02-2009, 06:21 AM
Ditto! Use it everyday. Thanks so much for your continued development!

JohnnyRandom
08-02-2009, 06:22 AM
Thanks Darby :)

debris
08-02-2009, 01:31 PM
My favourite flipbook now (since the latest betas). Great support for EXR (inluding data window and multiple channels).
Some extremely minor requests though:

- Would it be possible to keep the preferences when installing a new version (using the installer)?

- Is there an easy way to stay in Vista Aero mode during playback? I have to use Aero to get the best performance in Softimage (crazy, but it is like that) and starting DJV causes the display to hiccup and turn black for a moment, which is quite frightening especially during the nightshifts, when you don't need unexpected crashes ;). Not healthy for my heart...

Thanks, I love the x64 version especially!

EDIT: Forget about the preferences thing I mentioned, already working as expected! :)

martinB
08-03-2009, 03:22 PM
Great tool, thanks very much indeed!
What happened to the AVI/MOV support from previous releases?

Are you interested in feature requests?

-- MartinB

3rdrail
08-04-2009, 03:47 AM
How is the support for multi-channel exr files?

Hi,

It's pretty basic right now, but functional. In the viewer you can choose which layer to display from the File/Layer menu, and keyboard shortcuts are automatically assigned to the first ten layers. There are also keyboard shortcuts for going to the next/previous layer. You also have some control over how layers are grouped in the preferences. Probably the biggest limitation right now is there's no support for saving multi-channel EXRs; so for instance you can't use the djv_convert command-line utility to make proxies of your multi-channel EXRs (but you could use it to convert one layer into a JPEG or something).

Darby

3rdrail
08-04-2009, 03:57 AM
My favourite flipbook now (since the latest betas). Great support for EXR (inluding data window and multiple channels).

Thanks!

Some extremely minor requests though:

- Would it be possible to keep the preferences when installing a new version (using the installer)?

Sorry about that; I try and keep them consistent but with the amount things change while the software is in beta it can be difficult. Once the software hits version 1.0 I promise to be much better about it. :)

- Is there an easy way to stay in Vista Aero mode during playback? I have to use Aero to get the best performance in Softimage (crazy, but it is like that) and starting DJV causes the display to hiccup and turn black for a moment, which is quite frightening especially during the nightshifts, when you don't need unexpected crashes ;). Not healthy for my heart...

Unfortunately I don't have access to a Vista box yet so I'm not sure what could be causing that... What sort of graphics card / drivers are you using?

Darby

3rdrail
08-04-2009, 04:05 AM
What happened to the AVI/MOV support from previous releases?

Hi,

It should still be there... One exception is the 64-bit Windows version which doesn't support QuickTime, since as far as I understand QuickTime is 32-bit only on Windows. Is that the version you are using?

Are you interested in feature requests?

Absolutely; I feel like the software is still in an early stage so I'm always open to feedback about it.

Darby

debris
08-04-2009, 09:51 AM
Unfortunately I don't have access to a Vista box yet so I'm not sure what could be causing that... What sort of graphics card / drivers are you using?

It's a QuadroFX 4600 with the very latest Quadro certified drivers. Maybe this link helps:
http://blogs.msdn.com/kamvedbrat/archive/2006/04/02/566788.aspx

I'm not a coder though ;)

JayHoo
08-04-2009, 11:16 AM
If you could add footage layering like in pdplayer you would be the man. And making chaosgroup asking itself why they want 250 bugs for a footage player. :wip:

martinB
08-04-2009, 01:41 PM
It should still be there... One exception is the 64-bit Windows version which doesn't support QuickTime, since as far as I understand QuickTime is 32-bit only on Windows. Is that the version you are using?

I am running version 0.8.2 64bit and it won't accept AVI. Yes, MOV on 64bit is a problem (thanks Apple!) but AVI would already be good. I tried different codecs, tried WMV, tried MPEG1. Always get '[ERROR] Image I/O - Unrecognized file' in the messages window, which by the way shows up behind the main window.

Also, the Options > Type menu of the File Browser is only showing image types, not AVI.

What am I doing wrong?
-- MartinB

3rdrail
08-05-2009, 04:14 AM
I am running version 0.8.2 64bit and it won't accept AVI. Yes, MOV on 64bit is a problem (thanks Apple!) but AVI would already be good. I tried different codecs, tried WMV, tried MPEG1. Always get '[ERROR] Image I/O - Unrecognized file' in the messages window, which by the way shows up behind the main window.

Also, the Options > Type menu of the File Browser is only showing image types, not AVI.

What am I doing wrong?
-- MartinB

Hi,

I use QuickTime to support AVI files, so that's why it's not working; but I'll add a feature request to add native AVI support.

Darby

fahr
08-05-2009, 04:39 AM
Hi darby,

thanks for making such an incredible utility! Its a godsend on the mac since fcheck is useless.

I was wondering if the planned qt port will allow for 64bit on the mac? It would be fantastic to use all 10 gigs of my ram intead of only 3. ;)

martinB
08-05-2009, 09:24 AM
I use QuickTime to support AVI files, so that's why it's not working; but I'll add a feature request to add native AVI support.

Ah, makes sense, thanks. I'll use the 32bit version then.
If you use Quicktime anyway, could you also play MPEG1/2 files?

-- MartinB

DoubleSupercool
08-05-2009, 09:27 AM
Cheers Darby and thanks for the continued effort. A very useful and full featured app :)

leif3d
08-05-2009, 05:59 PM
This viewer has come a long way, I really enjoy using it.

BTW, I'm also having that hiccup problem in Vista x64 where the screen goes black for a second. I have aero turned off and it still happens. Weird...

Also, why is the x64 installer going into: C:\Program Files (x86)\djv 0.8.2 instead of the x64 version of program files?

3rdrail
08-08-2009, 06:50 PM
I was wondering if the planned qt port will allow for 64bit on the mac? It would be fantastic to use all 10 gigs of my ram intead of only 3. ;)

Yup, that's one of the many reasons for the port. :) The toolkit I'm using now has an open ticket to support 64-bits on OSX but I have no idea about the priority...

Darby

3rdrail
08-08-2009, 06:52 PM
This viewer has come a long way, I really enjoy using it.

Thanks! I still feel like it has a long way to go. :)

Also, why is the x64 installer going into: C:\Program Files (x86)\djv 0.8.2 instead of the x64 version of program files?

I think that's a bug with the software I'm using to build the packages; I'll check it out...

Darby

payton
09-14-2009, 03:41 PM
hi darby,
first of all i need to say, your ram player is by far the most responsive feeling that i have ever used. its so much more intuitive than framecycler, which i am using at work. great!

but its still missing some features that are needed to make me switch. no problem here. why should you bother to make me switch? :p

the 2 main features that i do need all the time are:

1. image comparison / wiping
for this feature to work its needed to load more than one sequence into djv. after loading at least two different footages, the user is able to compare it by wiping (must have) or difference (would be great!)

2. versioning
the most critical point for me. versioning works ok in framecycler, but its far from perfect. only small additions to framecycler will make it so much more usefull for allmost anyone. this feature should be build with comparison/wiping in mind, like explained above.

the way it works in framecycler:
you need to set up a folder structure in such a manner:

project/scene/shot/department/version/resolution

you can name these folders the way you want, framecylcer will simply assume that this is organizanional structure you are using. you cant configure framecycler to fit into your own pipeline - you need to fit your pipeline into framecycler. this is the point where djv viewer could earn big points.

the version feature could be implemented in two fashions. i will call it simple and advanced for now.

2. 01 simple versioning:
pretty much like a breadcrumb bar (windows vista f.e.)

https://flamingo.dev.java.net/images/bcb/breadcrumb-sample.png

djv viewer displays the current folder of the played footage. you can click on any folder in this path to chosse another folder inside it. djv viewer should automatically play the file that is located inside the new structure. for example:

you are playing the file:

/testproject/sequence01/shot01/comp_department/v001/2k/####.exr

if you click on "v001" and then choose "v008", djv should not play the files inside the v008 folder (there shouldnt be any), but the files that are located in the exact same subfolderstructure as before, like:

/testproject/sequence01/shot01/comp_department/v008/2k/####.exr

if there is more than one sequence or qt, djv may ask what to do. this would not only be great for versioning, but also for quick access to other files placed anywhere on your harddisks.

2.02 advanced versioning:
it would be cool to let djv viewer tell the way your pipeline is structured. lets say you can define the hierarchy of this folders:

project, scene, shot, department, version, resolution

if you define the following structure (just for demonstration, silly one):

department, project, scene, shot, version, resolution

djv viewer will know what the folders are for. this way you could implement a "version" or "resolution" dropdown menu to choose different versions or resolutions.

the benefits of the advanced versioning are maybe not worth the additional programming work that needs to be done. but maybe i am wrong.

with this features implemented and running stable, sell dvj_view for 50 bucks, per license and everything will be fine ;).

cheers,
payton

payton
09-21-2009, 09:16 AM
hi again,
after thourogh testing i recognized that dvj performs best (fps) with JPG, Quicktime wrapped JPG's and DPX files. its faster than PD player, RV player and Framecycler!! on the other side, exr performance is much slower than the competitors.

dpx and jpg are exactly the files that we want to use, the only things missing are the 2 features mentioned in the post above.

will there be a chance to see them in future releases?

thanks in advance,
payton

3rdrail
09-25-2009, 08:32 PM
hi darby,
first of all i need to say, your ram player is by far the most responsive feeling that i have ever used. its so much more intuitive than framecycler, which i am using at work. great!

Thanks!

1. image comparison / wiping
for this feature to work its needed to load more than one sequence into djv. after loading at least two different footages, the user is able to compare it by wiping (must have) or difference (would be great!)

This feature is definitely on the list, a lot of people have asked for it.

2. versioning
the most critical point for me. versioning works ok in framecycler, but its far from perfect. only small additions to framecycler will make it so much more usefull for allmost anyone. this feature should be build with comparison/wiping in mind, like explained above.

I'm definitely interested in ideas to help improve the workflow. The breadcrumb bar is interesting, maybe another way to approach it would be with a tree-view? Right now the file browser just shows the contents of the current directory:

/project/scene/shot/department/001/
- render.0-100.exr

But with a tree-view it could look like:

/project/scene/shot/department/
+ 001/
|- render.0-100.exr
+ 002/
| - render.0-100.exr
+ 003/
|- render.0-100.exr

(Sorry for the bad ASCII artwork.)

Then you can just click directly on which sequence you want to load. The nice thing about the tree-view is that you can use it with arbitrary directory trees and also see files at different levels within the tree.

I like your idea for a drop-down menu to quickly switch between files. I wonder if instead of having to specify a directory structure, DJV could automatically scan the entire directory tree for you? So for example you specify your "base" directory and DJV automatically scans the sub-directories, building a menu with all the image sequences it finds. The command-line utility "djv_info" actually already does something like this:

> djv_info -r -i -fp
/project/scene/shot/department/001/render.0-100.exr
/project/scene/shot/department/002/render.0-100.exr
/project/scene/shot/department/003/render.0-100.exr

What do you think?

Also, I'll check out the EXR speed, it shouldn't be that slow...

Thanks, Darby

payton
09-27-2009, 09:23 AM
hi darby,
thanks for your interest in my opinion.
right now im in a hurry.
but here is the short version.

i thinks the folder tree will get confusing easily (for versioning purpose). if it will show you everything that is located in subfolders you need to scroll too much. one mor super-important feature within versioning is that the player needs to stay on the current frame, when changing the version. the folder tree is more for a general "nice to find something" purpose. but if you switch from shot x to shot y you normally dont want to stay on frame 48 (f.e.).

in my opinion after thinking more about it, a breadcrumb bar with a checkbox "versioning" next to it will work really good for versioning and even good for searching for different assets. this could work like this. if versioning is disabled, it works exactly like a breadcrumb bar. with versioning enabled two things happen when changing the folder:

the playback head stays on the current frame. must-have for version comparing.
the footage placed inside the same subfolder structure will be loaded automatically. f.e.: if you have this structure /project/scene/shot/department/version/resolution/#.exr and choose version 002 instead of 001, the files located in the same resolution folder are the one of interest. (sorry for explaining it that often, but it is so important)
the folder tree could be implemented in the file open dialog as well. but not as a replacement for versioning.

these were once again my 2 cents...

cheers,
tobi

ps: i can do a gui screen for you if you are interested...

3rdrail
09-27-2009, 06:17 PM
ps: i can do a gui screen for you if you are interested...

I think I see what you mean, but if you have any time to do a mock-up that would be very helpful.

Thanks, Darby

payton
10-04-2009, 10:48 PM
well, it took some time - bot here it is.

with the "auotplay" checkbox on the right selected, the feature should act like for versioning needed. if you change the version from 10 to (lets say) 9, the corresponding exr sequence in the subfolder "2048x1152" will be played.

but it still needs to be specified what happens, when...

the subfolder does not exist
more than one sequence or file is located in the subfolder
the autoplay checkbos is not checked.
maybe an standard "file open" dialog should appear in all these cases, with the chosen folder as a starting point.

this feature would make djv viewer the first choice on all artists workstations, no matter which folder structure is used at the company they are working on. only generation by eyeon would perform better with versions...

http://www.filmbilder.de/djv_breadcrumb.png

JayHoo
10-07-2009, 11:51 AM
How can i get your version? Looks interesting

frogspasm
10-07-2009, 11:25 PM
Any chance of adding support for BMP files?

jdrouse
10-20-2009, 05:31 PM
I'll second the UI Mockup that Payton did. Thats an excellent feature for any organized folder structure.

JohnnyRandom
10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
^I third it :)

CGTalk Moderation
10-20-2009, 06:11 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.