PDA

View Full Version : noob to lightwave need HELP

crgowo
08-01-2003, 06:11 AM
I have the discovery edition installed. Im not new to 3D just to Lightwave. (btw how do i get just a selection tool like just an arrow.) well anyhow after watching some of the interactive demos. i was trying to model a simple cup. so i used bezier curve for a cup profile. then lathe. well then i notice the normals are wrong. then i model a bowl. create a circle with the sphere/ball and extrude. Then the normals are facng the wrong way again.
ugh how do i flip them.

is there anyway to set a hot key for rotate view for perspective so i dont have to click the top right of the viewport to tumble zoom and track?

and can i turn off the drag selection.

Ive heard really good things about LW and after seeing the live stream from siggraph i like what i see. Plus the fact that i can get DFX+ with the purchase is a big plus :) But i cant seem to get used to the UI.

thanks

oh one more thing. on the discovery cd it has objects you can mess with. but in the objects dir it has more then 1 file in each one. like an object file for each part of a model. how do i open all at the same time so i can see the model in its entirety. instead of havinet to select different objects at the top right. and im not talking about hte layers.
ok thanks again.

milqman
08-01-2003, 06:15 AM
Try extruding in the opposite direction.

Also, if theres just a few normals facing the wrong direction, select it and press F.

If theres a lot you need flipped, go to the Detail tab and find "Align" under Polygons.

Hope that helps.

Nemoid
08-01-2003, 02:01 PM
Flip the starting polys before extruding . u will have no problem after. Align command iss very good when you have situation with different oriented polys, though, but working good at the first is better.
hit alt and drag mouse to rotete your view. also this allows to rotate the view differently based on object pivot.

and welcome in Lw world.:thumbsup:

crgowo
08-01-2003, 11:09 PM
THanks for the replies. one more thing how do i select all. I was trying to get used to the ui by modeling simple things. cup :) and i created a curve profile and used lathe. how do i select all or deselect polys so i can flip normals. thanks.
cause that was alot of poly faces to select.

richcz3
08-01-2003, 11:56 PM
Hi crgowo,

To "select all" of polygons, make sure you have Polygons selected in the bottom menu. Select one Polygon and hit the "]" key. This will select all connected polys. Works the same for selecting points. Now if you want to invert your selection press the Shift and ' keys.

If you want to select by Surface, Part, or other attribute hit the "w" key and you will get a requestor that lists all the available selections. The selections will vary depending on what you have selected on the bottom menu Points, Polygons, or Volume.

So as not to have a panic in the future the " - " key hides selected Polys. It doesn't kill them. To bring them back press the" \ " key. (Pressing undo will not unhide them)
Pressing the "k" key will kill your Polys. (Pressing undo will bring them back).

Now as an extra to help. In case you do not know what surface name a poly may have select the poly, and hit the "i" key to see the Surface name and other related values.

richcz3

crgowo
08-02-2003, 12:41 AM
thanks richcz3 ill try those out tonight. Im also going to download the Vtms fom 3dbuzz. i didnt know they had lightwave vtms. so i should be a bit better with lightwave by monday :) THanks again for all your replies.

KillMe
08-02-2003, 01:53 AM
jsut oen thing - when you lathe drag the lathe axis out the other direction and they will eb the right way around what i do as i can never e remmber which way is which i drag the lathe andhold then if its wrong you can just drag the otherway and it fixes it upbeofre you even went wrong

not sure if that made much sence but you never know

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.