PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a Texture artist.

lawhater
08-01-2009, 03:56 PM
I've decided to work as a texture artist but I am wondering if I should goto a school or just learn via DVDs? I have purchased THIS DVD (http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/425/Character-Texturing-for-Production) I've watched 2-3 lectures and most of the stuff he is doing , I hav no idea of. I was thinking of just watching some workflows and then learning the field it self. I am not sure if that was a good idea or not. But I did it.

Do you guys think I should just get all texturing DVDs from TGW and learn from there?
But I think I'll need to purchase those Texturing dvds and then Zbrush DVDs as well. And I will probably need to know basics of 3d modeling and UV mapping.... ugh this field is hard.

leigh
08-01-2009, 04:04 PM
I can't comment on any of those DVDs as I've never seen any of them, but here's my advice:

- Learn Photoshop thoroughly. Photoshop is your main texturing application.
- Learn a 3D painting app like Bodypaint, or ZBrush (which has texturing capabilities).
- Study texturing theory.
- Practise, practise, practise.

lawhater
08-01-2009, 04:20 PM
Okay. Thats going to take a year minimum right? more than 3 applications :| :(

leigh
08-01-2009, 04:33 PM
That depends entirely on your current skill level. Learning Photoshop and becoming skilled in painting and manipulating photos is likely to take up most of your time, and depending on your aptitude, could take anything up to a few years. It really depends on the individual.

lawhater
08-01-2009, 05:15 PM
I've used phootshop many times but only for webdevelopment.

Could you explain what you mean by Texturing theory?

leigh
08-01-2009, 06:03 PM
By texturing theory, I mean understanding how diffuse, specular, bump, etc works in a shader, and therefore understanding how to create textures for shaders.

Magnus3D
08-01-2009, 07:05 PM
Learning texturing and shadercreation is quite timeconsuming and tedious work, but some stuff are helpful if you wanna learn it. Except for the obvious software skills required these are also some things you should know to some degree..

- Photography, yes it helps to know photography because then you learn how to observe how surfaces interact in different types of lighting conditions. This is also a plus if you wanna shoot your own textures.

- The ability to 'see' the different components of a surface when you look at a real life item. So you can see each type of texture you would have to paint in order to recreate that specific material. This takes time to learn but when you master it then you can create anything you want. :)

- Master the tools you work with, you should know everything about them! and then some more..

- Tutorials might teach you some of the basics you need to know but don't put all your pennies in them, the real skills come from practice, observation and hard work!

- Referencematerials are necessary for any textureartist, the more you have the better your chances are of successfully recreating a specific shader and/or texture. Collect them like squirrels collects nuts for the winter. :)

/ Magnus

KrzysztofFus
08-02-2009, 02:05 AM
Okay. Thats going to take a year minimum right? more than 3 applications :| :(

If you're in a rush to get a job in the industry you should just quit.

The CG Industry doesn't operate on quick jobs for easy money. It takes time and talent to do what you say you want to do. You're in High school. Learn photoshop and draw. When you move onto college learn a few 3d apps and work on your reel. Its a long process.

PieJesu
08-06-2009, 07:42 PM
If you're in a rush to get a job in the industry you should just quit.

The CG Industry doesn't operate on quick jobs for easy money. It takes time and talent to do what you say you want to do. You're in High school. Learn photoshop and draw. When you move onto college learn a few 3d apps and work on your reel. Its a long process.

Very true.

All the work you do do should go towards your portfolio so, it's not a waste of time.

lawhater
08-08-2009, 06:51 PM
where can I get 3d models on which I can do some texture work? Anyone here willing to give me some 3d models? You will get credit for your work. I will even UV Mapp it myself. I've learned a lot these days.

KrzysztofFus
08-09-2009, 03:44 AM
I highly recommend you start modeling basic things yourself and texture them. Model a cereal box. Model a dumpster. Start with boxy things after a while you'll learn to texture more detailed stuff. Start small.

PorkpieSamurai
08-13-2009, 04:48 AM
That dvd you watched is pretty advanced. I would recommend starting with simple things to texture like what has already been recommended to just get the hang of creating realistic textures and making simple shaders with a simple light rig.
Recommend this actualy
http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/263/Texture-Painting%3A-Weathered-Surfaces
Also it does take a long time to get good at texturing and longer to become a pro texture artist so take one step at a time but keep your goal in sight.

MrPositive
08-13-2009, 05:34 AM
Leigh is obviously the aficionado on this subject and I defer to her, but I might add that a side painting course wouldn't hurt. Though my background is in clay sculpture and now switched to digital sculpture, I've wanted to continue to improve my texturing abilities. I just took a painting class that cost around 150 bucks which is chump change for what I got out of it. Much of what you utilize in technology tools is merely transferred from a more traditional means. Just a suggestion.....

mister3d
08-13-2009, 06:26 AM
One very important thing is a texture library you should have. Those textures must be of the highest resolution possible. There are many commercial texture libraries, I would pay attention to gnomon texture dvd's, arroway texture collections, 3d.sk for people textures. Marlins and total textures are a bit outdated as the quality was fine 10 years ago but not now imo.
The library should be well-organised by subjects so you could easily find the needed texture fast. So if you buy some libraries don't keep them as they are, but sort them by folders. For example my classification is as follows: organic brushes, ancient cultures, animal skins, asphalt, bricks, cement, concrete, dirt maps, doors, fabric, flora, fur, grass, ground, leather, loza, metal, paper, paperwalls (wallpapers), people, plaster, plastic, road signs, roof, sand, sci-fi, skies, stone, stucco, tile, weapon, windows, wood. yet each category has subcategories like for wood: architectural wood, balcs(new, old, painted), bamboo, bark, burnt, exotic, fanera, fresh wood, old, painted, parquette, trash.
The other important thing is dirt maps: dirt maps are the masks or effects themselves which you can use and re-use for dirt effect or mixing several textures. The best way is to extract them from phototextures and classify.For example such effects as streaks, mold, layer corrosion, oxidation, scratches etc. are classified by the type of affection. People say "explore surfaces", which is right, but having a library of ready-to-use effects if very handful. If you are interested about classification, you could pm me and I could send it to you.

About diffuse, bump and specular, I suggect reading this http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=46&t=392677

In a nutshell about diffuse, bump and specular:
http://img269.imageshack.us/img269/6341/containerscopy.jpg (http://img269.imageshack.us/i/containerscopy.jpg/)
Some texturing common mistakes
http://img216.imageshack.us/img216/954/brightnesscopy.jpg (http://img216.imageshack.us/i/brightnesscopy.jpg/)
Another important mistake is a scale of details, but I think it's present in Leigh's booklet.

CGTalk Moderation
08-13-2009, 06:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.