PDA

View Full Version : Putting fingerprints & smudges on a glass with mental ray

joeym4130
07-31-2009, 06:52 PM
Suggestions on how to do this?
I have a realy nice mia_material X on the glass, with a small amount of noise in the bump slot.

I wanted to add some fingerprints and smudges. I made a map in photoshop where the smudges and things would be, now I need to figure out the best way to map it.

I would think someway to create a gloss map would work, because simply I want the smudged/printed areas to be less glossy as you see it in the light

Maybe a layered shader would be a way to go?

New to making mental ray shaders but I'm learning a lot just from experimenting...

Ptichat
07-31-2009, 08:02 PM
I am not really replying what you're asking for but that's the kind of thing I would prefer to do in compositing.
So I render a second time my glasses in black with the white fingerprint mapped on it, then I'll find the best overlay while comping ;)

joeym4130
07-31-2009, 08:51 PM
No thats actually probably a better idea, and more efficient.....

Could prob use your idea and use that pass as a mask to do some kind of blur in post to make it appear smudged....

Thanks! :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2009, 08:51 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.