PDA

View Full Version : The German - New Short film by Nick Ryan

nickryan
07-31-2009, 05:49 PM
I recently completed my second short film 'The German', starring Toby Kebbell (Control, RocknRolla and the up-coming Prince of Persia) and Christian Brassington (Elisabeth: The Golden Age and Easy Virtues). I wrote and directed the film.

www.thegermanmovie.com (http://www.thegermanmovie.com)

The blurb!

November 1940, during the greatest conflict man has ever known, an epic duel unfolds between two ace pilots, each willing to take the match to itís ultimate conclusion. Unknown to the pilots is a fate neither has considered.

The German is a war story seen through the eyes of RAF officer A C Barton (Kebbell) who will take his fight to the very end. The singleminded desire for revenge drives Barton, but when it comes face to face, can he pull the trigger?

Shot on 35mm (anamorphic), and posted at 2K, the opening of the film is an aerial battle between a British Spitfire and a German Me 109, all of which I completed here at Image Now Films over a six month period. This is a combination of Live action/stills and fully CGI shots.

I have made up a website for the film, which has a trailer and effects breakdowns and a small behind the scenes clip. I have also written a little about the process involved.

Pretty much like the my last short film, A Lonely Sky, the film was made on a relatively small budget (70K euro). It was funded by the Irish Film Board, under a short film scheme they run.

While that sounds a lot, when broken down under the regulations for filming, it all disappears very quickly. The Effects budget was a big fat zero, so a lot of long hours again.

Unfortunately I can't put the film on the web yet, because of film festivals. It was selected for Palm Springs, and LA Shorts as well as the San Paulo film festival.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

Nick

http://www.thegermanmovie.com/Web_image_GERMAN.jpg

mushroomgod
07-31-2009, 07:04 PM
It looks cool, looking forward to the final release

tc
07-31-2009, 08:06 PM
Congrats Nick!

EDIT: Man, I just saw the trailler now... This looks really well directed/executed!
I hope you get a feature film with a big ass budget.

Looking forward to see the full version!

CiaranM
07-31-2009, 08:24 PM
Wow, great work! I hope I can catch this when the festival run is done.
The CG breakdown is particularly well done (with $0 FX budget!).
Congratulations.

vfx
08-03-2009, 01:25 PM
Looks like you've done it again Nick! Really like the trailer, nice to see you're sticking with aviation and to top it off some ww2 action! Can't get much better. Visuals look great, some of the shots in the trailer i.e. the broken wing coming at camera look like they could do with a little more contrast as they seem a little washed out right now. Small thing given what excellent work you are creating.

The production stills are great, you've got some high tech production value/tools at your disposal which lends itself great to the video I've seen so far.

Cheers

nickryan
08-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Thanks Thiago

This is the project I was working on when you kindly helped out with a few particle questions. Seems like a long time ago!

nick

vfx
08-04-2009, 09:33 AM
Nick when do you think you'll be putting this online? Does submitting your work to festivals still mean it can't be viewed online?

nickryan
08-04-2009, 02:20 PM
Because the film was funded by the Irish Film Board, they have the distribution rights for it. It could be a few months more (I actually finished the film last October).

Ruairi_Robinson
08-07-2009, 01:44 AM
Because the film was funded by the Irish Film Board, they have the distribution rights for it. It could be a few months more (I actually finished the film last October).

Allo. Fancy meeting you here.

R.

nickryan
08-08-2009, 10:45 AM
Hey Ruairi

thanks for dropping by.

N

L33tace
08-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Great! Really enjoyed A Lonely Sky especially the aerial footage so I'm looking forward to watching the full. Good luck at the festivals. :)

Ruairi_Robinson
08-09-2009, 06:09 AM
Hey Ruairi

thanks for dropping by.

N

My Pleasure. Looking good btw.*

*In the interests of full disclosure, I was involved in the preliminary stages of making this film. So I am not quite an innocent bystander here.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2009, 06:09 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.