PDA

View Full Version : Color grade

maxbesner
07-31-2009, 04:18 PM
Hi everyone,

I did two different color grades on the same hd video using Apple Color.
I get some banding in the clouds, i don't get any on animation codec but if i bring it down to h.264 thats when it shows.

here is a link to my video to see what I am talking about http://www.vimeo.com/5851292

could it be because of the codec or am I pushing the colors too much, or do u suggest i covert the plate to linear before i start working on it in Color?

Thanks alot, this is my first post

npittas
08-01-2009, 12:48 PM
Well 8bit material has little to no hold out to extreme color grading. You could try capturing the material in 10bit or even 12bit and try the same CC.

maxbesner
08-02-2009, 09:21 PM
awh thx your right i was thinking into it way to much and i completely overlooked the fact that it was only an 8bit image.

which codec would you say is a professional standard in compositing, the animation codec?

crashd
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
which codec would you say is a professional standard in compositing, the animation codec?

If you can, don't use _any_ codec for 'compositing'. Do your work on the raw files, where possible. You don't specify what you shot the footage on, if it was a hd tape format then ingest them to DPX or 16-bit tiff and work on those, then wrap them up into a lossless/least lossy codec for editing with, if that's your workflow.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2009, 04:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.