PDA

View Full Version : 3 toxik questions

royter
07-30-2009, 05:51 PM
what is the main advantage of using toxik instead of after effects for compositing?

what are toxik's main disadvantages?

how is this software doing in the industry?

bjoern
07-30-2009, 06:45 PM
what is the main advantage of using toxik instead of after effects for compositing?
-It is Nodebased and has a propper OpenEXR support. And it is a proffesionell tool ;)

-It has that old-workflow interface from cumbustion and that stuff
-It is an Autodesk product ;)

how is this software doing in the industry?
-very very few are using it.
-no Userbase

If you want to buy the right tool for Comp, go for Nuke. There is nothing on the Market that can beat it.
But If you wanna do motiongraphics than AE is okay... Or the only option...

royter
08-03-2009, 04:18 PM
thanks for the info man.
cant you do motion graphics on toxik and nuke?

dprgb
08-03-2009, 05:34 PM
Well, it's included free with Maya now.

bjoern
08-15-2009, 07:49 PM
In Nuke nope. That is the wrong choice for motiongraphic. Maybe Toxic. Since it has something like afterFX layer. But I don't know how good is the workflow.
I would stick to AE for MotionG.

DoubleSupercool
08-16-2009, 03:36 AM
-It is Nodebased and has a propper OpenEXR support. And it is a proffesionell tool ;)

-It has that old-workflow interface from cumbustion and that stuff

Err, I don't that it is based on Combustion workflow at all. Have you used it?

Agreed that at the moment it has little or no userbase, but with it's inclusion with Maya 2010 I can see that changing. Will it replace something like Nuke? I can't see it happening any time soon, however for smaller studios I can't see why they *wouldn't* use Toxik if they have 2010. At the very least people like lighters can do slap comps to test their output and make sure everything is okay for the final comp in Nuke.

Sybexmed
09-03-2009, 07:05 PM
Yeah i dont think small studios will use it anytime soon. Im also trying to figure out witch compositing software to dive into. But it seems Nuke is being used by a lot of people. but there is little training out there for it. Shake on the other hand has alot of training and it's really good. So im still stuck.

dprgb
09-03-2009, 07:41 PM
Well, if you want a node-based compositor you can use for motion graphics, eyeon Fusion would be the place to go.

As for Toxik, we'll have to see where it goes since it's integration with Maya. It really is a great piece of software, I was thinking of switching over from Fusion a while ago. I don't understand the whole 'small studios will use it anytime soon' thing... has anyone commenting here actually used it? The interface is great and it does what I need it to do extremely fast. Plus, the small studio thing:

Now, you can look at it two ways - one, you buy Toxik and get Maya for free, or you buy Maya and get Toxik for free. And while Matchmover leaves much to be desired, it does mean a single $3500 license of Maya gets you an entire pipeline worth of software. Plus, as an added bonus, with Toxik you get free unlimited render nodes (you have to pay extra for that with Nuke / Fusion).

My advice, as it always is with software, is to just go learn one. Nuke / Fusion / Toxik / Shake are all node based and share a lot of similarities with workflow. After Effects is kind of on its own now with layer-based compositing. My personal pipeline is becoming Toxik and After Effects for everything, they fill each others gaps nicely.

And as far as training goes, you can't beat fxphd - you get access to Nuke and Fusion on the VPN so you can try them, and the classes are great and not to pricey.

DieMachinist
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
Why do UI fonts on Toxik look huge and ugly? I want to learn it but the font is really driving me crazy. I don't see any option to change the font to Maya like UI font.

http://mayastation.typepad.com/.a/6a01156fc44c77970b0120a4cd5d7b970b-800wi

CGTalk Moderation
10-21-2009, 01:42 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.