PDA

View Full Version : Post deleted - What did I do wrong?

FrankB-de
07-30-2009, 04:26 PM
Hello,

at first I thought I'd swallow the pill, but then I keep asking myself what did I do wrong, that my post in the news subforum has been deleted.
I have asked one of the moderators, who appeared to be online, what hapened and what I can do. MikeRhones suggested that I post the case here.

The post in cgnews was called "Terragen use today", and was about a Terragen contest that had ended and a link to the results. Many of the best Terragen 2 artists had given their best working on their contest entry for over 2 months, and there really were some outstanding renders done.
As Terragen 2 doesn't have its own sub forum around here, yet, I thought artists around here may be interested in a view on what's state of the art with Terragen 2 at this point in time, and the contest results seemed a worthy news to be posted in the news forum at cgtalk.

The thread kept getting a lot of hits, an average but good number of replies - then out of the sudden it was gone. As Mike Rhone put it, one of the moderators of the forum considered it spam, but he's not able to overule decisions previously made by another moderator - which I have understanding for of course.

Maybe the moderator hadn't read the post thoroughly enough? Or accidentally deleted the wrong thread? Or was it something that I overlooked? A posting rule that I missed?

One of my request is to kindly help me understand what it was that I did wrong - if I made a mistake. The other request is, if on second thought you may be open to change your mind on the post, to bring it back if that is technically possible.

I am a little uncertain now as to what I can post and what not in the future. It's not a good feeling when I have absolutely no idea if a future post can stay or be deleted, so I would appreciate your guidance here.

Many thanks in advance,
Frank

Seth93
07-30-2009, 04:34 PM
I hope we will have an answer... I was very surprise when i wanted to answer to the last post in the previous thread...

leigh
07-30-2009, 05:08 PM
The fact is that the thread purported to be promoting Terragen and its use in the creative field, yet the link posted did not link to Terragen's site, but instead linked to a commercial site selling plugins for the software.

Overall, it came across as thinly veiled promotion for the plugin website, instead of being promotion for the Terragen software itself, as the title of the thread suggested.

Next time you want to "promote the use of Terragen today", link to http://www.planetside.co.uk/. Not a site selling add-on packs for it.

Thelby
07-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Umm Hmm, there it is! :curious:

FrankB-de
07-30-2009, 07:31 PM
Thank you leigh for the explanation and I appreciate the openess in unveiling your thought behind the decision.

However, the contest was a. organized by the site, b. Planetside was part of the judges panel and c. the contest images have only been hosted there.
So in all seriousness: where else should the link point to if not there? You would agree that I cannot point people to the Planetside pages when the contents are somewhere else.

Lastly, the entire message had no notion of trying to sell things...

So considering all this, what about the following, to also address your concerns:
If you bring the thread back up, I will edit the initial post and add paragraph to explain that the contest was supported by Planetside Software (link), and sponsored by and hosted at nwda.webnode.com

What do you think about that? Would that be an acceptable compromise?

Thanks,
Frank

Tangled-Universe
07-30-2009, 07:50 PM
The fact is that the thread purported to be promoting Terragen and its use in the creative field, yet the link posted did not link to Terragen's site, but instead linked to a commercial site selling plugins for the software.

So if someone ever wants to promote anything, he/she has to link to the manufacturers site only?

Don't want to sound very harsh on you but the fact that you speak about the site being commercial, which it partially is, and is selling plugins tells me quite a lot about the "ignorance" of Terragen here. It is not selling plugins, but merely techniques/advanced tutorials on how to achieve complicated stuff. I guess the developers wish plugins would be developed :P
Anyhow, it's not really relevant of course, but it's just how this "comes across" like you say yourself below ;)

Overall, it came across as thinly veiled promotion for the plugin website, instead of being promotion for the Terragen software itself, as the title of the thread suggested.

The link to the contest winners' gallery clearly represents the topic title "Terragen use today". Also, there was a deeplink to the gallery, not to the main page.
I think when it's not allowed to promote other people's work and/or the software on an other site than the manufacturers you will have a lot of work to do else here on the site ;)
(dozens of people linking to their partially commercial website in their image-posts here, for starters)

So, despite the legit topic title which tells exactly what can be seen inside and the direct linking, this action was solely because the site is partially commercial?

Regards,
Martin

FrankB-de
08-08-2009, 11:09 AM
bunmping this up once again, leigh, or any other moderator for that matter.

Given my explanation below, I think it would be only fair to hear something from you.

Thanks,
Frank

Thank you leigh for the explanation and I appreciate the openess in unveiling your thought behind the decision.

However, the contest was a. organized by the site, b. Planetside was part of the judges panel and c. the contest images have only been hosted there.
So in all seriousness: where else should the link point to if not there? You would agree that I cannot point people to the Planetside pages when the contents are somewhere else.

Lastly, the entire message had no notion of trying to sell things...

So considering all this, what about the following, to also address your concerns:
If you bring the thread back up, I will edit the initial post and add paragraph to explain that the contest was supported by Planetside Software (link), and sponsored by and hosted at nwda.webnode.com

What do you think about that? Would that be an acceptable compromise?

Thanks,
Frank

leigh
08-10-2009, 02:51 PM
I'm sorry that you felt my previous response was inadequate, but that's the only response I have here. As I said, your entire premise for posting the thread came off as misleading. If you want to promote Terragen, as your thread suggested, then please link to their site, not a commercial third party website.