PDA

View Full Version : MentalRay for Maya...scary.

Lesen_XSI
01-14-2002, 09:16 PM
I just saw a couple renders using MentalRay for Maya.
I've found them pretty scary because its was really as clean
as MentalRay with Softimage 3D or XSI.
What do you think of that.

SheepFactory
01-14-2002, 09:36 PM
where did you see those renders? , can you post a url?

A|i

EdHarriss
01-15-2002, 12:10 AM
For most rendering it should look exactly the same. mental ray is mental ray. No matter what you use to get the data into it. It's like rendering with PRman. There is no way to visually tell which program sent the renderer the information. Could be Softimage, Maya, 3dsMax, Houdini, etc....

Having said that, it is easier to use mental ray with XSI than it is with any other 3d software out there. As a result, the time it takes to finish your work is usually shorter.

This is because XSI and mental ray are just tied together better. For example: most programs can't render particles, do interactive rendering, render hair, instanced geometry, volume effects, procedural shaders, area lights or subdivision surfaces in mental ray. While all of those features are supported natively in XSI. There are also some "special" features that can't be rendered with mental ray either. (Maya Paint Effects for example.)

Another down side to using it with any thing other than XSI is that you have to pay an additional fee for mental ray. (around $4,000 per CPU) Whereas it comes free with XSI.

Don't get me wrong, I think it's great (not scary) that other packages are starting to use mental ray. This means more development money for mental images. Which in turn means a better product. (usually) In the end we all win.

jordibares
01-15-2002, 07:25 AM
As Ed said, it will benefit all of us, but i understand your point, maintain the great advantage we have in the render quality.

The integration is much worse at the moment, but if they want, it is going to be very good in a near future. By the way, 4000$ is a lot of money and many Maya users already have they rendering on renderman, and the pipelines so that is very difficult to change. (hacks in the render, propietary renderman shaders, so on so on...)

In my humble opinion this is targeted to 2 types of users; 1) Old softimage users/companies (not too big) that are working now with maya but want mental ray because the have licenses already and... 2) small studios that rely on Maya's render that simply don't work and are very fustrated.

In both cases, difficult to justify 4.000$ per CPU, maybe even more difficult in the second case.

jordibares

PS. If this strategic movement on Maya does not work in the sales, as the Maya for Mac (which i think didn't work and that is the reason of free learning maya on mac), it can be quite difficult for the company... let's wait and see what happens.

SheepFactory
01-15-2002, 08:19 AM
i dont see how its going to work with the $4000 price tag , add to that the already expensive $16000 maya unlimited , and you get a mental ray solution that is not truly integrated like it is in softimage. and you can get softimage advanced for $12000.

no wonder we are not seeing any images done with mental ray for maya. Alias will probably put mental ray as the native renderer in the next version , but they are trying to rip off as many people as they can beforehand. Just like the pricedrops before free maya announcement. I feel sorry for the poor soul who bought into the hype and got his first seat of maya complete for just $4500 when he could have gotten maya free in the fallowing week.

i hope this mental ray thing does work out though , we really need a good renderer.

just my ideas

A|i

CIM
01-15-2002, 11:50 AM
$4,000 for Mental Ray? Geez!

Lightwave's renderer comes with the software and is still the best one around. Look at that price!

rendermonkey23
01-15-2002, 01:16 PM
Why is lightwaves renderer the best?

Lesen_XSI
01-15-2002, 04:28 PM
What i meant by "scary" is more in the sens that Maya has a lot of very powerful modeling, animation(constraints), texturing tools, stability and a lot more.

But get me wrong, i'm a Softimage user for 3 years now.
Im into XSI since Sumatra 1c.
All my friends without exception have changed to Maya
at this time and im the only one who resist, and WANTS to
keep XSI (that is an AMAZING software).

But Maya is very powerful, more than XSI in alot of ways.
I know that Softimage did an excellent job the past years.
Develloped more and more modeling tools, pushing
XSI everywhere and with the version 2.0 its getting great, but...

So finally what i find "scary" is "the power of Maya" + MentalRay.

Lesen_XSI

mr-doOo
01-15-2002, 05:10 PM
i don t agree, for me the only advantage of maya
is the dynamic (specially particules) and maybe paint effect(but who is using it,sure there is this tool who is in xsi and not in maya and vice et verça but it is the same with all the other softwares. i move to maya 2 years ago and continue to use soft and xsi, why? because it s a pleasure to work with it (ok not really with 1.0) and that s why i m making this job, it s a passion....

KEKS
02-09-2002, 08:27 PM
XSI polygonal and subd modeling is the cleanest in the industry. I can draw edgeloops without having to worry about technical stuff like in other programs. I can manipulate the geometry without any restrictions since 1.5, and 2.01 and new tools , its just the best 3d package all around. I still love 3dstudio max :)

grendizer
02-10-2002, 05:39 AM
Maya being viewed as the "most powerfull" is just the hype.
As Le fourbe said (great avatar), Maya's only advantage on Xsi is dynamics, simulation and particles.
All the rest is much much better in XSI.
I have been using both softwares so I know what i'm speaking about.
:cool:

KEKS
02-10-2002, 06:43 AM
I know, but i think particles are the only thing better but not even them. Cuz with new shaders and ability of working without limitations in xsi really makes it powerfull. But simulation is much better in XSI in my opinion from what i have seen. I have also used many sofwarez that I know that XSI 2.01 is just the best

grendizer
02-10-2002, 02:28 PM
Enough said, Xsi is just THE best! :D :p

raffael3d
02-13-2002, 02:51 PM
don't be scared of Maya. Softimage dominated the industry for years. In the past to year Maya became stronger, but onlny because Soft stand back to develop something much better that needed time. With XSI 2.0 the first step was done to beat Maya again. Let's how the it looks likewith XSI 2.5 or 3.0, they will be equal at least. I'm not for Software battler, but as fasr I can see it was almost always Softmage who introduced groundbreaking features (others did too, but never that often). I would say Softimage has the best ideas concerning to help the animator to do a great job.

Apoclypse
02-13-2002, 10:38 PM
Isn't softimage releasing mental ray 3.0 as a standalone version for just $950. Maybe I saw it wrong or something. Any ways the point is that if softimage themselves are offering mental ray along with batch universal and such for such competative prices (1,950 or something for batch universal thats a pretty huge decrease from the 4,000 price that Discreet and Maya want for Mental Ray.) This leads me to believe that softimage isn't very worried about maya. Besides the maya implementation is supposed to be very bad and slow. If you don't believe me go to the maya post and see all the complaints that some users have had already (there is like three of them).

CGTalk Moderation
01-13-2006, 01:26 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.