PDA

View Full Version : School that hooks you up?

lawhater
07-30-2009, 02:22 AM
First of all, I know how amazing CG field is but I want to keep it as my secondary job because my parents have "more" expectations of me:banghead:.

I know VFS has "job alumini" but I am not sure if all students in VFS get "hooked up" per say.
Do they actually get you a job in different fields? I am interested in VFX field and want to work in Hollywood field on movies etc. Or even on cool shows like Fringe, Supernatural.

KrzysztofFus
07-30-2009, 03:42 AM
I dont understand of what your parents mean by "more" expectations of you.

But how the CG field is now. You can't just keep it as a secondary job. The CG industry is highly competitive and you will only get work if you are 100% serious about it. Its an industry that you cant get work if your just good. You need to be great. You also need to be prepared to work at studios as an intern for a while before you might even recieve any freelance work.

If you're serious about doing CG then do it.

No school will hook you up with work. The only purpose of going to a good CG school is to network with leading artists in the industry and network with your peers so you can help each other out when you graduate. The most the school will proabbly do is host portfolio nights when studios in the area can come and look at all the new talent. Maybe if your lucky and your teacher loves you work you'll get thrown some freelance gigs from studios they work for.

Its up to you. If you want to WORK in this industry you need work your butt off. Going to school for something else when you want to do CG is a waste of time.

Edit* I assume your in HS. What grade are you in.

lawhater
07-30-2009, 03:47 AM
Well I want to learn this as a hobby obviously. I am in Grade 11.

KrzysztofFus
07-30-2009, 03:51 AM
Well I want to learn this as a hobby obviously. I am in Grade 11.

Oh, well originally you said you wanted to work in this field...

If you wanna do it for fun then buy a student copy of maya and learn from tutorials online.

Also about VFS. VFS is a really good school for really good students.

Another Edit*

Also http://www.videocopilot.net is a great site where people can learn the basics of "Special Effects" Using 3dsMax and After Effects

Good Luck

joecyriac
07-30-2009, 05:44 AM
VFS has a job board to which all students, past and present, have access to. It's a page on the site where job openings are listed, often by previous students who are now in the industry. There's no guarantee of landing a job once you graduate, however, that's entirely up to your reel. You also get a permanent VFS email id where you are informed of job opportunities as they come up. But you have to submit your portfolio and apply as anyone else, so I wouldn't consider that 'hooking up'. You do get to meet people from the industry through seminars that VFS organises, but ultimately it's up to the work that you do and the strength of your reel.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2009, 05:44 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.