PDA

View Full Version : Color Keying for superimposing.

Cadedra
07-29-2009, 06:13 PM
Hi, guys.

I am working on a personal film project where I have to key out a blue screen background so I can have my character set in a virtual environment that I have got in another video track. I am working on Premiere, so I have been studying the Color Keying topic at the Premiere Bible (nice book)… but I do not feel I have the control of it. The contents of the book about this topic are too light.

So I would like to get into deeper knowledge about color keying and blue and green photography so I can gain true control over this. Can anybody, please, recommend me some book or website where I can learn about the topic?

Thanks!

aesnakes
07-29-2009, 10:27 PM
http://www.digitalcompositing.com/

the art and science of digital compositing by Ron Brinkmann

and you should really be keying in Nuke, Shake or at least in After Effects.

Cadedra
07-31-2009, 07:48 PM
Thanks a lot, aesnakes, looks like this will do…

By the way, what about Avid for keying? You know, I am trying not to jump to new apps if possible… Is Premiere that bad at keying?

Guess this book will tell me about it anyway, but I would like to have a quick answer by now just to plan if I begin moving to another app.

Again thanks!!

scrimski
07-31-2009, 08:13 PM
All editing apps suck for compositing stuff(and the other way around). FCP does, Avid does(except Nitris maybe), liquid does. It's no more good than previewing/editing keyed shots for the picture lock and handing over to a compositor.
Get your hands on After Effects, shake or similiar. AE is probably your best bet with Premiere and there are ons of tutorials for keying in After Effects..

Cadedra
08-03-2009, 05:50 PM
Thank you two. I had always believed that video editing apps were the best choice for keying... Now I have opened my eyes.
Nuke or Shake you say. Ok, now I have a good reason to get into it.

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2009, 05:50 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.