PDA

View Full Version : flame PALs

boomji
07-31-2003, 08:25 PM
hi,
i may seam a lil lost in this post so be genteeel k ;) .
also i may need to reclarify things back and forth.
i am just starting to get jiggy with the flame(7) and was made aware of a problem i have herd very often.
here goes...
a film is being edited on an avid(forgot the version which handels film).The directors decide to put some effects in particular shots so they send a beta(pla@25) for us to grab and touch things up.
I'm a little fuzzy on what happens exhactly but since we have an oxbury film scanner i'm assuming were going to scan the reel, work on the sgi's(file format) and output to ???...lost

1.)The compositor was working with beta footage,deinterlacing it and was grumbling how the sound sync will be off because the original edit(avid) was at 24fps.

2.how do you guys on PAL handel the 1 frame offset as far as sound is concerned.I was told certain efects had sound synced to them in the original edit at 24fps so we couldnt be off.

3.is this an option...scan the reel using timecodes off course.
work at 24fps process print it back on send it. :eek:

... sorry for sounding so daft.Any body doing PAL/film want to shed some light please. :wip:

like i said i'll ask at the work place first thing tomm but still would like your opinions.
b

Chris
08-01-2003, 04:17 AM
I guess its going to depend on how the avid transferred to the beta tape, & what theyve been working on. The PAL film stuff we've worked on here we've had a beta offline copy done & just edited at 25fps, the effects (which are done on Combustion) have had uncompressed frames transferred from the edit machine, which I've then worked on at 24fps (not that it mattered)

So I'm guessing the workflow kind of went like this:
Film scanned (24p) converted to Beta (25i - the film is just sped up a bit) sucked into the avid & edited with sound at 24p (deinterlaced & slowed) - then output at 25i again to you (so the footage is sped up 8% again)

So your compositor should have to just import the footage, deinterlace it & tell Flame that the source footage is 24fps again (slowing the footage down to what it should be) - that should exactly match the timing of the Avid.

Since you've got the film scanner there, your going to get a lot better results if you scan from the original again (it wont be going through the up to 2 possible interlace/deinterlace conversions) & work on it at 24fps - which should match the avid.

The only way that is not going to work, is if somhow the avid crash recorded 24fps from the machine, while the beta deck was recording at 25fps (you'd know because you'd end up with a strobed frame every second) & only a real f*&kknuckle on the avid machine would do that... :)

boomji
08-01-2003, 07:56 PM
chris...with an explanation like that i dont know how to thank you...really man I.OWE.U.big time :bowdown: .

i got a little bit of a spanking on another board...not telling which ;)
... come here and the smile is back on my face.

i wont forget the help,
thanks...

something i dug up from google
http://www.zerocut.com/index.shtml
b

Hugh
08-02-2003, 01:44 AM
One thing I don't quite get is why it's interlaced when it's at 25?

And a 'spanking'? C'mon, we just weren't quite sure what you were getting at? (Then again, some people might have been a little harsh... I hope I didn't come across that way...)

Aruna
08-02-2003, 02:35 AM
Sorry if I was harsh boomji. Work is tough, and I sometimes need to vent!

Bad spelling and incorrect grammar are just my pet peeves...

Cheers. :thumbsup:

boomji
08-02-2003, 05:34 PM
awww dang !!!
{{ group hug }} //sticks "kick me" on arunas back:scream:

peace :)

b

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.