PDA

View Full Version : which laptop computer would you prefer? Mac book pro or fujitsu T2020

andy000hk
07-29-2009, 08:46 AM
i am going to buy a laptop computer. There are two models i am considering , Mac book pro 15 inch 2.66GHz and fujitsu T2020u.

The main purpose of this laptop computer is "2d" drawing.

My main considering is if i buy the mac book pro, i need to draw with intuos 3, not really convenience for carring and need to use it with more spacing (because i will carry it to oversea) , but the performance looks like better than fujitsu t2020u.

In the case of T2020u, the advertage is i could draw on screen directly and not really waste spacing when using it. :arteest:

Does any one can give me some advise? because i have never used MAC and fujitsu computer. Is fujitsu touch screen 's performance is similar to "Wacom bamboo"?
and how about the whole performance between these two laptop?

thx a lot :bowdown:

frog
07-29-2009, 11:25 AM
For 2D drawing, no contest at all. I use a Fujitsu T5010 for professional storyboarding and advertising concept work, and it's excellent in every respect: great screen with accurate colour and wide viewing angles, powerful computer, Wacom digitiser.

If you're doing serious drawing then a good Tablet PC is a much better option than a laptop + Intuos. The drawing process is faster, easier, and more precise, and requires less concentration. There is less to carry around, the kit is more convenient and much lighter.

When I work in advertising agencies, which are very Mac-centric, everyone is totally in awe of the Tablet PC, most people have never seen anything like it and it makes them very curious. I'm not saying that's a good reason to buy one of course, but in actual use the technology is very effective.

I would just question why you would opt for the T2020 over the T5010? The only advantage of the T2020 is that it's more portable, but overall the T5010 is a better and more powerful machine.

andy000hk
07-29-2009, 01:17 PM
Thank you for your opinion, frog.
Actually i would prefer a Tablet PC than laytop pc. However everyone says Mac is powerful than PC, so i want to have more opinion to decide which computer is better.

why i choose T2020? Just because Fujitsu has a special offer on T2020 only.
anyway, thanks your comment again.

biliousfrog
07-29-2009, 07:04 PM
However everyone says Mac is powerful than PC

That is rubbish, Mac's ARE PC's...same components, different operating system. A fast PC will be faster than a slow Mac and vice-versa, the logo on the lid has nothing to do with it.

Regarding your choices, why have you gone for a Fujitsu?...that particular model looks very under-powered and overpriced. Perhaps look at the Lenovo Thinkpad tablet PC's which seem to be better spec'd for the price and are 'penabled' which means that they use Wacom's tablet technology not just generic tablet PC tech. A lot of people swear by Toshiba's M series tablet PC's too.

...but

...bear in mind that a Tablet PC will never be as good as a Tablet plus a PC/notebook.

A 12" screen is tiny if you're considering something like Photoshop with tool pallets and dialogue boxes. A lot of people find the screen difficult to draw on because of the bezel and lack of support under the hand. They are usually very under-powered for a lot of applications and sometimes don't even have dedicated graphics chips (such as T2020). A lot of cheaper Tablet PC's suffer from noticable lag and the drawing resolution is quite low (512). They can get very hot!

On the other hand, a Wacom tablet will offer a more comfortable working area and last for years and years. You can switch pen nibs for a different feel and use different pens entirely. You'll be able to draw at up to 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity, including tilt, and have access to double/right click and erazor on the pen itself.

A seperate notebook will probably have at least a 14" widescreen, faster CPU, more RAM and probably a decent graphics chip. When you need to upgrade, you can still use the old tablet and/or use it on a proper workstation.

frog
07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
There are reasons to go for Fujitsu: namely they have the best screens of any Tablet PC on the market. They also have Wacom digitisers, although I agree that the T2020 isn't the the most powerful choice, which is why I mentioned the T5010.

And as someone who draws professionally with a Tablet PC I would quite strongly disagree that using a separate Intuos with a notebook is in any way better - it's not about the spec, the experience of drawing on a screen is just much better than on an Intuos (see my post above).

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2009, 10:30 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.