PDA

View Full Version : Multiple materials, one object?

X14Halo
07-29-2009, 05:41 AM
I have an object that is fully textured, and has 3 different kinds of materials (leather, plastic, painted leather). I want to keep it as one object. What would be the best way to get all these different shaders on it? Is there a way that I can use masks? Or should I just manually select the faces with a certain material and apply it?

dren
07-29-2009, 05:51 AM
Depending on the situation I would just apply the different materials to the faces, but maybe there is some other way of doing it that's more precise that I don't know of... (I'm rather new to Maya)

X14Halo
07-29-2009, 06:09 AM
Actually now that I think of it, I can't do the manual face selection, because some of the faces don't lineup exactly where they need to. Does anyone know of a way to do this with masks in hypershade?

djx
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
Assigning to faces often causes problems when using render layer overrides so I would try to avoid that.

Layering materials with mentalray is not difficult and there are a few layering shaders around - mix8layers is a good one if you can find a version that works on your os. (Even maya's own layeredShader works - but the user interface ain't so good).

Mentalray has the mib_color_mix node but the interface is even worse than the layeredShader, so I wrote a phenomena to tidy it up a bit. You can read about it and download it here (http://www.djx.com.au/blog/2008/02/01/layering-shaders-with-mentalray/).

-- David

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2009, 12:55 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.