PDA

View Full Version : what im gonna do

Wualforvalle
07-29-2009, 02:56 AM
hey everyone i just wanted to post what im going to do, would like to have some feedback about it, since i been having some trouble with my parents about it, and they think my vision isn't clear enough...

ok first im 18 years old i just graduated from high school and i want to study 3d animation and visual effects (whatever the career is, i think there a lot of names for it) would love to study a plan for both movies and video games.

So this is the thing... since neither me nor my parents want to waste a lot of unnecessary money in my education, I (its important that its and I) opted to go to a private school where i live, its a short course 2.5 months. Now doing this i would probably waste a year without a proper education (college or university) now in that year im planning to study the software (zbrush, photoshop, illustrator, maya), sculpture and painting classes. Now my dad its getting really mad about me not studying at a school, he wants me to study anything if im going to be like this... but believe in me im spending at least 5 hours a day on maya.
im doing this to built up a better portfolio to send to a real school next year, what do you guys think?

ZacD
07-29-2009, 03:05 AM
Got a portfolio we can look at just to see where your at?

Wualforvalle
07-29-2009, 03:32 AM
hmm well not really not in the web, i mean most of the things i got are drawings and some paintings, im starting to get into 3d so you could say im currently making my portfolio

Wualforvalle
07-29-2009, 03:49 AM
i uploaded 2 images of a guitar i made if you like to check

TLobes
07-29-2009, 03:49 AM
Getting a proper education can be a good thing. Technical schools that only teach 3D are great... but.. they leave a lot at the door that you should be introduced to so you can mold yourself into a real person with your own thoughts and life experience. I went to a regular university while studying game development and animation. I hated the idea of going to non-degree courses, but, after taking world music during my freshman year, I learned so much, met a lot of people I wouldn't of met through degree only courses, and was introduced to a whole new world of ideas that I would of looked over before.

Of course, that's not to say this doesn't happen at tech schools, too, but it's obvious when you meet someone who rushed into the industry and forgot to learn the skills on how to interact with people who don't know what they know. Not to mention trying to hold a conversation about something other than video games or the industry, however, those people exist at traditional colleges, too! It's all about how you make use of your time regardless where you go.

Good luck!

Wualforvalle
07-29-2009, 04:04 AM
you got a point in there, people that seek for non degree classes always are more interested :P but yeah, i dont really care about getting a degree i been reading a lot of things in the forums for about 3 years now about this career and most people agreed that a degree its not always nesesary i will mostly look forward for 1-2 year plans.

another thing i could do is join college this year, not for transferring purpose but mostly for learning.

thethule
08-09-2009, 10:38 PM
Hi,

I dropped out after 2.5 years of studying physics cuz i got bitten by the 3d bug (in 07/98). My parents were NOT happy at all. I can underatand why, since they had spent so much money on my further education and i was just dumping it. But i really didnt want to study anymore and wanted to be a 3d animator instead of my original goal of particle physisist.

Anyway, i had to move back in and they were very unhappy with me and we argued lots. But i worked in a bar at night and worked my ass off during the days to learn 3d and a year later, got my first job. I worked HARD. Day and night , any time i could, even turned down dates to go back home and do 3d....it all paid off in the end, but my parents still think i shoudl have finished (as do i)

My point is that if you are determined, dont worry about what they think. That said, they are still your parents and they are only worried about your future, so show them that you are determined to do this, work hard at it, show them your progress. maybe show your dad online learning sites..

Also, about school..Im not convinced one needs it. Maybe you do, maybe you dont, but there are SO many tutorials online, video and text based that you can teach yourself. Granted the software is much more complicated now than it was in 98, but on the other hand, some things are easier....

In the end, degrees mean nothing. Its your portfolio that counts. The one thing you WILL get from a good school is contacts.

Ultimately, your choince in the end. Just work your ass off either way.

Wualforvalle
08-10-2009, 05:30 PM
wow yeah i appreciate those words... most of what i was looking for, well im planning to go to a 1 year program, maybe either way im learning a lot from these vacations :P thx man

Rebeccak
08-10-2009, 06:32 PM
Waldoerick, you should definitely read this wise post by taxguy:

http://forums.cgsociety.org/showpost.php?p=6033103&postcount=6

While referring to animation in the post, the same could be said of any position in the industry.

A degree is very worthwhile.....

I see alot of folks noting that a degree isn't necessary for an animation position. Since, I am not in animation, I accept what everyone said about this. BUT!!! Let me present a different point of view.

There are some very good reasons to get a degree among which are:

1. As Leigh noted, in foreign countries, it might be necessary to get a job there.

2. More importantly, it opens up many doors that might not be available otherwise: I have found that folks never know where their life will take them or what changes will ocurr in their life. What happens if suddenly studios start wanting degrees or want those with degrees and experience for higher level positions?
This has certainly been the case for other professions and can certainly start happening here too.

More to the point, what happens if you want to leave the field of computer graphics? This could happen due to outsourcing, problems with the industry ,or simply changed objectives by you. Having a degree opens up more options.

I know someone who switched from animation to eventually going to law school and specializing in intellectual property law. Having a degree will open up other doors.

Also, if a school has a stringent admission policy, you will learn from other top students as well. Top schools also tend to attract top faculty. Lets face it: faculty would prefer to teach the better kids.

Also, I would bet that top faculty have a lot of industry connections. If you go to a good school and do well, it is common for faculty to recommend students to employers and for employers to ask top faculty for recommendations. This happens all the time in many fields of endeavor.

Personally, I STRONGLY recommend that you get a degree. Now once you have one, you don't need a second degree unless you want to teach. You can attend a trade school to get the skills needed such as Gnomon or Animation Mentor or even study books or take online programs for the skills. However, having a degree can't hurt you. It can only help!

With all this said, you still will need a strong demo ( which should occur if you work your butt off at a good school) and would need decent interviewing skills.

Wualforvalle
08-11-2009, 04:55 AM
well Ty Rebeccak this is a different opinion, ill take it in mind, but i been thinking i been learning a lot alone, while sometimes i need a little help with some stuff, i would be cool having a pro-friend in the industry who could help me though any obstacle :P. Definitely i really consider skill > title coming from family and people around me.

Nate Wheeler
08-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Try this site and for tutorials. www.traptcg.com It has great video tutorials for 3D, photoshop, and flash.
The only thing that is going to make you great is your self. If you have a passion to spend 10 to 18 hours a day 7 days a week with ok pay working in 3d then this is the industry for you. If not find something else. School is to help teach you the tools for the industry. School does not build you a great portfolio. Only you can do that. Now that there are a lot of schools producing students for this industry you really really have to push yourself to be the best if you want a job.

nemotoad
08-14-2009, 07:16 PM
That Taxguy is a smart fella. I agree with his view that a degree is not worthless if you want to become an animator. This is just my opinion. People change their mind all the time about what they want to be or where they want to work.

Say you apply to all the animation studios in your area, and you don't get hired because our fancy economy, or you decide film isn't your best fit for you.

Some highly rewarding 3d animation jobs are in advertising, litigation, or architecture. Every job I've had or applied to in these three places has required a 4 year degree. So yes, while Dreamworks and Pixar and a lot of fun companies like Blizzard and EA don't care about your degree, you'll be missing out on a lot of different oportunities without that piece of paper.

This does not apply to you just yet, but it's some advice for your future. Passion for the industry is super important, but don't turn down dates to prove that you're passionate. Balance is a very important thing in any field. 8 to 9 hours is enough. Sometimes we all have to work a little extra. But if you've got this "I'll do anything for the job mentality" you'll find people that will exploit that. Get the skills that will get you the job, don't abuse your persona to make up for lack of training.

Some fortune cookies for you too:

Most of what you learn in college has nothing to do with the classroom. Everyone deserves a chance to experience it for themselves.

Some of the best artists i've worked with have had no degree, But I would have not had the chance to learn from them if I didn't have mine.

Best of Luck

Wualforvalle
08-15-2009, 03:16 AM
Yeah thx for the answer guys, i think i am already making up my mind about what will i do, i really know i can learn the software easy and art only improves working on it.
I really feel i don't need education right now, im very well motivated about this, i am REALLY Loving 3d apps, i haven't tried any animation but on time i will get to it, as far as now i am really interested in modeling, texturing and all of that.
I am really not interested in paying a lot in education i don't feel i need. If anything changes my mind i think im still young to do something, right now im still 18, i don't think im doing bad at 3d and im putting effort into it.
My dad just bought me a chair today to be on in 8 hours or more in the comp working in this apps, i think he's beginning to see the effort im putting into this, i just hope his attitude last.
thanks for the tutorial sites, and everything else, i am hoping being in this forums till i die doing The Return of Wall-E 4 :) ill see everyone around, if anything else comes up i wont hesitate to ask in the forums.

CGTalk Moderation
08-15-2009, 03:16 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.