PDA

View Full Version : Current Best Mobil WorkStation

Alacritas
07-28-2009, 11:30 PM
Not to kick the dead horse again, but out of curiosity, what are the best top of the line mobile work stations today?

olson
07-29-2009, 01:04 AM
By best I take it you mean money is no object? I'd go for a Lenovo ThinkPad W700 or other W series model. I've been nothing but impressed with my ThinkPad, though its an X61 which is more for portability than performance. Dell, HP, and Boxx all make mobile workstations as well. Cheers!

Carina
07-30-2009, 08:35 AM
I got an HP EliteBook 8730w, which is pretty much equivalent to the Lenovo W700, just before Christmas and I have to admit I am thoroughly impressed with it, build quality seems really solid and everything just... works.

Dell do a Precision M6400 which, again, is similarly specced, but when I was going my research, there were a number of issues with it, at least early on, that put me off (though I can't for the life of me remember exactly what they were now).

The4thAggie
07-31-2009, 03:35 PM
In my professional opinion, mobile workstations are both a waste and a hassle. Since this isn't a thread about philosophy-of-use, I'd like to say that one of my customers has had nothing but problems with a Dell Precision M4400. It started with driver issues caused by failing parts (due to the heat of the Intel Extreme processor), then the entire motherboard was fried. To make a long story short, we have Dell's next-day business support where they bring in a local tech. It took a month and about 10 visits replacing components, before Dell broke down and just gave him a brand new one. It really killed his and my joy of receiving a "professional" Dell workstation laptop.

EDIT: I would hope that HP's professional performance laptops are better than their gaming laptops. I spent $2500 on an HP zd8110 17" machine in 05' only for its non-replaceable graphics card to fail a week out of warranty.

Carina
07-31-2009, 06:54 PM
I'd say the judgement of whether they are a waste or not depends entirely on what you are after in a laptop.

At the end of the day it depends what you are after, but it's definitely worth doing your research beforehand in terms of potential hardware and driver issues (which is what brought the Dell problems to my attention and made me ultimately decide on the HP).

From the hassle point of view, I haven't experienced any with my machine, and I have to admit where I've previously not seen the point in spending extra cash to go for this type of laptop, the build quality in the 8730 is clearly superior to the "higher end gaming" type laptops I've had in the past.

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2009, 06:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.