PDA

View Full Version : First Classic Bouncing Ball

jamesabels
07-28-2009, 07:18 PM
I'm in the process of teaching myself 3d animation with some books, the animators survival kit being one of them. I just got my first ball rendered out, looking for some advice, I'm pretty happy with it but I know there is room for improvement that my untrained eye can't quite catch. Thanks in advance for taking the time to post, my self education will rely heavily on advice!

http://www.vimeo.com/5805759

Jero3D
07-28-2009, 10:41 PM
Hey James!
It's great that you are teaching youself animation, I'm doing the same!

Well lets start with the critique :p

Lets begin with squash & stretch. Squash & strech is used to show flexibility and speed. Right now, the ball is squashing and stretching too much if you compare it with the speed. The ball should move like 5 times faster to look good with all the amount of squash and stretch. If you make the ball move faster the animation will be really short right now, unless you add more bounces, so the best thing would be to reduce the amount of squash and stretch.

You should also try to improve your timing and spacing, maybe it's ok but as there is too much squash and stretch it doesn't look good.

My final advice would be: Do it again! When I started animating I made balls bouncings and I still do them and you have to be ready to make that at least 5 times until you get it right. So start all over again and check for spacing, timing and squash and stretch!!

When you finish it post it again so you can get more feedback

Good luck!

Jero

jamesabels
07-29-2009, 11:14 PM
Thanks for the crits here is an updated and not yet rendered version

http://www.vimeo.com/5825490

Enjoy!

Jero3D
07-30-2009, 01:01 AM
Hey there James! I must say that you have improved a lot! I think that you can still improve it. The last bounce has something wrong, and I would add 1 more bounce and correct the last frames.

I think it stretches too much in the last bounce, and it should stretch very little since it's one of the last bounces and it has already lost a lot of speed. Also, check your Gaph Editor because at the beggining it goes too fast from the normal ball to the stretched ball, try to add some slow ins and outs in there.

Another thing I would do is adding another bounce at the end, because this one looks incomplete. Add one last bounce near the floor and it will look a lot better!

Finally, at the end the ball doesn't bounce and it stretches on the floor. Remove that last stretch and make it squash for 2 frames and then go back to the normal position without adding a stretch between the squash and normal position.

Keep up the good work!

Jero

jamesabels
07-30-2009, 12:40 PM
I smoothed it out a bit and added that extra bounce, here is how it currently sits

http://www.vimeo.com/5838206

Thanks again Jero!

Jero3D
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
James you are almost there! It's looking great now!

My suggestion would be do add a final squash at the end, like, when the animation finishes, make the ball stay squashed and also, I would change the timing of the last 2 bounces. Make the last 2 bounces go a slower. I'm sure it will look great!

Good luck!

Jero

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2009, 04:22 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.