PDA

View Full Version : Weight animation WIP

Majere
07-28-2009, 01:41 AM
I've been working on this for a couple days, and I've already moved past blocking, but I can still do a lot of corrective work is need be.

The point of this animation was to show a character struggling with a heavy object. It's just for me to practice and learn and potentially be a portfolio piece if it looks good enough. Please tell me what you think needs work or what is working for it already, thanks all!

http://www.vimeo.com/5794181

GohanLex
07-28-2009, 02:09 PM
This is for the 1st part of the push:

1.Dont have the whole body come in the ready push pose at the same time.
1st the hands contact...then the rest of the body comes in....when the rest of the body is coming in it also acts as an antic for the push.

2.Then the actual push...since the object is way too heavy- he will slide back.
*You can hold this pose and show a full body stagger, not just his arms.

3.The spine reversal which u have, it actually makes it look like he is not pushing at all.
U have positioned him away from the object.
The force for the push will be coming from the back leg and will travel through the hips to the hands to the object.....hence maintain 1 line from the legs to the object...

If u want to use loa reversal then position near the object...

Check out some rough thumbnails:
http://img228.imageshack.us/i/pusha.jpg/
http://img228.imageshack.us/i/pushb.jpg/

Majere
07-31-2009, 09:22 PM
Excellent help and thanks for the advice. I completely agree about the line of action reversal, I had done it earlier on as a test to see what it would look like and left it in, then as I moved along it started to look worse but never did anything about it. I'll go back and change that to show the loa from the foot to the hand on the couch and have him slide some more.

I am a bit confused about how to do a full-body stagger, if you could explain more in depth about that I would appreciate it.

I just got back in town and over the next few days I will update my progress, thanks again!

Majere
08-06-2009, 04:11 AM
I have made several changes but most drastically in the line of action for the push.

Originally I had his feet slide a bit for the push but I guess from the camera angle it was not enough to be readable so I made his feet slide more, and offset them.

There were too many changes to list, but let me know if it looks better and what else needs work. If anyone has any critiques or comments, they would be appreciated! Thanks.

WIP update:

http://www.vimeo.com/5971073

msteinert
08-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Woa, it's time for weight exercises? I'm at the same subject of study too. :)

I like your timing. I would like to suggest a little more of contrast in your lines of action, for example at 5" (more contrast = more force). When the sofa moves, you character stay in the same place, like he's moving the object using only his arms. Where's the weight in the body? If possible, put a frame counter, it helps a lot when people comment the animation.

Still really nice, I'll keep looking.
Keep going.

Neon67
08-07-2009, 08:58 PM
i think the main problem come from the pelvis , i dont feel any push , the upper body will just bend from the legs/ pelvis n try to push forward, and then come backway , then try to push forward, and then come back.
Actyally it is too static

AdamGillespie
08-08-2009, 06:34 AM
I like the direction this one is going! It has a good feel and the idea is really solid for weight practice. :)

Some quickie critiques though:
The push at the beginning looks a bit odd in that he goes right into a stiff arm. Like, perhaps bending the arm a bit and push HIM away from the couch as hes trying to to push the couch away from him might give it that reaction that he is pushing it, or rather attempting to.

Also, I am somewhat curious as to whats going on at the end there. It looks like the couch moves but his facial reaction and lack of movement dont really show that...maybe instead of slightly moving, have it jolt forward and he falls on his rumpus ;)

The shaky arms look good though he should be pushing off of the couch as well...otherwise he kinda just looks like hes being electrocuted. Bzzzzzzt!

Im curious to see how it turns out!

-AJ

robcat2075
08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
It's hard to crit this because it's so long ( and vimeo is not scrubbable :cry: ) but here are some things I notice...

He moves without suggesting his own weight so you dont' get the sense that he has any mass to hurl against the couch to move it:

-he will often lift a foot without having shifted his weight first to the other foot ( do this to imply that he HAD to do that because of gravity)

-or... he will often lift a foot putting him in a temporarily unsupported pose and yet remain floating as if there were no gravity to pull him down.

Gravity makes any unsupported mass fall, immediately, without delay, no exceptions. When you dont' make that happen you are suggesting weightlessness, not weight.

Overlapping motion within the body would also help suggest its mass. The head can overshoot and overlap the torso... The torso can overlap and overshoot the feet... there are many opportunities for this.

I also notice the couch moves not at all when he first shoves it. That implies he's exerted zero force. Everyone has moved a couch before. They'd expect it to nudge at least a little no matter how weak the person is.

Your essential poses generally seem to be in place, but it's the motion between those poses that seems to be working against your goal.

That's what I see.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2009, 03:52 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.