PDA

View Full Version : HELP!!! Dielectric Material (bump & refraction)

lennybruce
07-28-2009, 12:40 AM
Hi all, I'm fairly new to mental ray materials and I'm working on a project where I need to create a photoreal render of a glass with liquid in it. I'm using separate dielectric materials for the glass and the water. I've set up a 3rd dielectric material as an interaction material for where the glass and water geometry intersects. I got the idea of using dielectric materials from the "mental ray nodes in maya, lesson 9" of the Digital Tutors videos. The dielectric material has 2 features called "Outer Color" and "Outer Index of Refraction" which have made it possible for me to accurately simulate how you cannot see the glass edge where the liquid is filled up to. Anyhow, it looks really good so far, unfortunately the dielectric material is the only material I can find that will allow me to accurately simulate the edge of the glass where the liquid is filled. However I'm running into a huge problem... First of all I'm going to need to simulate condensation on the outside of the glass. I was planning on doing this partially with a refraction blur because it tends to give objects a frosty appearance which is what I'm going for. Also I need to use a bump map for the larger particles of condensation.

So my question is this.... The dielectric material is stripped down to the basics, so how can I add features such as refraction blur and bump mapping? Again I'm totally a newbie when it comes to mental ray materials and I have no clue how to go about doing this.

Thanks for your help in advance!!

ducvemt
07-28-2009, 07:01 AM
You can read this topic
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=87&t=789704

And i advise you "forgot dielectric and start with mia_materials" !

lennybruce
07-29-2009, 06:49 AM
So can you tell me how to do a refraction blur on a mia material?

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2009, 06:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.