PDA

View Full Version : Turntable wireframe look?

Dimios
07-28-2009, 12:13 AM
hello, I am using Maya and I want to create a reel with 3d models in it, by using them on turntable. I know how to do that, but that I dont know is how to create a cool switch between smoothshade and wireframe on shaded. And I mean a smooth gradually from top to bottom swicht no just a boolean swicht. Propably I need to use some editing software, but if anyone knows for sure how to do that, or exist some tutorial about that, let me know please.

Thank you guys.

praburaj
07-28-2009, 10:07 AM
yes, you can get that effect in compositing only.... for that you have to render two times with the same camera...

first render in smooth shade mode then with same camera render wire frame on shaded ( for getting wireframe in render out put there are few ways available... try for it, itz little tricky... if you are not getting i will guide you)...

then with both the output sequence you can make smooth transitions between them in comp softwares...

Dimios
07-28-2009, 12:08 PM
@praburaj

thanks for your fast answer, its really that I forgot to ask about how to render wireframe on shaded, if you know please tell me.
About how to mix the two clips on compositing, I think I know.

praburaj
07-28-2009, 02:02 PM
Hi Dimios
There are several ways to render wireframe on shaded...

The method which i find easy and excellent is...

Select rendering menuset you will find toon menu on main window...
Now select your object then go to menu toon > assign outline > add new toon outline
Now pfxtoon will be added to you geometry..... select that and go to attribute editor..

In pfxtoonshape select crease lines option
Dissable hard creases only
Make crease angle max to 0
Now this time you will be noticing pfx on wireframe also.... if not ensure that you have done all above steps correctly.....
You can play with the attributes to get good result....

Note:-
since this is pfx(paint effects) you will not be able to render in mentalray but you can render in maya software rendering.... Still if you wish to render in mentalray then you can do that by converting pfx to polygon(you do that in modify>convert)

Xestion
07-28-2009, 02:42 PM
if you need a guide or so how to do it in mental ray or whatnot, you could download a little pdf i put together, you can get it from my site - its called "Maya Passes v1.2.pdf "

glxtrix
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
I always use this way.

http://www.digitaltutors.com/free_tutorials/video_d.php?vid=2861&cat=41

Rtist
07-30-2009, 01:22 AM
A schoolmate of mine, Matt Highison, created a wireframe tutorial (http://moonlitbasement.com/blog/wireframe-rendering-in-maya-tutorial-part-one/) just like what praburaj mentioned.

Good luck.

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2009, 01:22 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.