PDA

View Full Version : Should i wait to start blender?

giant551
07-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question! Ive been having a look at blender for the first time over the last couple of days and i got to say it looks really impressive. Anyway my question is, is it worth starting to learn the current version of blender or wait until 2.5 is released as my very limited understanding is that 2.5 is going to be quite different?

I'm not new to 3d as ive been a long time user of XSI so it will be the package i will have to learn rather than the techniques.

thanks for your time

Paul

Yecire
07-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Anyone new to 3D would definitely benefit by getting their feet wet as soon as possible, in the current version. Your being already experienced in 3D, waiting might not be a bad idea. Though, as much as will have have changed when 2.50 is released, enough similarity will be there that any time spent exploring it now won't be a waste.

sundialsvc4
07-28-2009, 05:18 AM
++

Agree entirely.

dAfTiE
07-28-2009, 07:58 AM
And, if you have time to mess around a bit, the 2.5 alpha builds are pretty far along now.
Wouldn't want to use it for production work, but you can certainly do small stuff and figure out some of the pecularities of the application.

Forgot the link, heh.
www.graphicall.org

JoshBowman
08-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I've just started looking at Blender myself. Mainly for the Freestyle NPR rendering and the Pepe Land Anisculpt tools as a way to extend my capabilities as a Maya user and also to get the ball rolling on my shortfilm which will need to use an NPR renderer (at the moment Freestyle for Blender seems to be the most promising out there).

I'd recommend checking out cgcookie.com which has a great video (http://www.cgcookie.com/articles/2009/06/18/blender-25-overview/) going over the current Blender 2.5 UI which helped me a lot in getting my feet wet in Blender.

Oh and I'm just going to wait for 2.5, I had a look at 2.49 and was really repulsed by the interface, I don't really care what it can do if it's so unintuitive for new users, which is why 2.5 looks like the goods.

MarkInTx
08-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Oh and I'm just going to wait for 2.5, I had a look at 2.49 and was really repulsed by the interface, I don't really care what it can do if it's so unintuitive for new users, which is why 2.5 looks like the goods.

I agree. And, from a modeling perspective, working with N-gons is pretty much a deal breaker for me... so I am hoping that makes 2.5's final cut...

unhurdof1
08-03-2009, 09:27 AM
Hello everyone,

Just a quick question! Ive been having a look at blender for the first time over the last couple of days and i got to say it looks really impressive. Anyway my question is, is it worth starting to learn the current version of blender or wait until 2.5 is released as my very limited understanding is that 2.5 is going to be quite different?

I'm not new to 3d as ive been a long time user of XSI so it will be the package i will have to learn rather than the techniques.

thanks for your time

Paul

I felt the same way, Paul. Like you, I'm not new to 3d, and I've been interested in blender since 2.46 or so. In addition to 3d max, I also use g-sculpt. It's been difficult for me to commit to blender since learning how big of a release 2.5 is going to be. Someone here at cgtalk just convinced me to give blender a go for a very small project. My new perspective on this issue is that if you have a main software you are comfortable with, stick with it until 2.5 comes out. Don't use blender for any big projects like short films just yet. Hold off for a bit on the big stuff and check out every video tutorial for blender you can, and maybe even tinker with blender a bit every now and then so that when 2.5 comes out, you can appreciate just how far it's come. If you are itching to give blender a spin right now, maybe follow a couple of the well done tutorials for blender at cgcookie (http://www.cgcookie.com/articles/blender) and check out the latest test builds of 2.5 as they are released at graphicall.org (http://www.graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=877):thumbsup:

Fuzatron
08-03-2009, 09:21 PM
Yeah. I had been putting off blender until 2.5 was release. A friend of mine, Ascent, talked me into jumping in now though. Didn't take long for me to warm up to it once i got a grip on the gui, and got it customized to best suit me. I'm using it to create a little short character animation project (http://rivetfish.blogspot.com). Figured that would be a good way to learn it. I'm pretty sure the time i am putting in on 2.49 will help me get up to speed with 2.5 pretty quick :)

BUZZFX
08-17-2009, 04:34 AM
I read Blender 2.5 would be released at Siggraph and then a final Build would be ready by Late October, but now I read it will note be ready till First Quarter 2010. Does anyone know where I can find info on the real release date?

Thanks

Fuzatron
08-17-2009, 04:42 AM
Here is the latest release date info i have seen...
The first of the official 2.5 versions will be released in October, during the 8th annual Blender Conference in Amsterdam. The Blender team plans to give regular updates, with the 2.5 project to be completed with the Durian film premiere in 2nd quarter 2010.
For more details - http://www.blendernation.com/blender-2-5-unveiled-at-siggraph-expected-release-date-announced/

DarkLimit
08-17-2009, 11:33 AM
Well if you only have to learn the package and since blender 2.5 is coded and redone from the ground up it's in ur best interest to wait...

Bao2
08-17-2009, 12:53 PM
I don't think that 2.5 comes out and we need start to learn again Blender. I think 99% what we know in Blender will serve. So why wait to learn Blender?
I myself was reticent because the guys in the videos I watched did absolutely all with hotkeys. The guy was selecting with A and the pushing G and then X to constraint the movement in X direction and so and so. Then I was remembering that A was to select all, and then G for this and then X for that, and then Ctr + this for this and shift + that for that and in just some minutes your brain explodes and you shut your computer and go to the beach.

That is what people is experiencing when they saw "videos for beginners". And that is why there is only around 10 people in this forum, in a unbelievable wonderful program like blender that is able to do things I couldn't do in max without pay for plugins (and of course pay for the app itself).

The correct way for videos for beginners would be move the objects in screen using the manipulator instead of using G, R, S keys. And then do all the things using the menus in the app. Only after some videos you go introducing the hotkeys and the viewer can decide if remember the hotkey or continue doing visually. That would attract much more people to this incredible program in my opinion.

Bao2
08-17-2009, 12:57 PM
And yes I learnt Blender because I have no beach near me.
LOL

Fuzatron
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
Yeah. Only reason i can see for waiting on 2.5 is because it may be easier to get started with. Not because what you learn with 2.49 may be a little different in 2.5.

And i'm not expecting the oct release of 2.5 to be as refined and bug free as 2.49. I'm betting we will have to wait a few months more or so for that... Would love to find i'm wrong on that though.

I'm looking forward to 2.5, but definitely won't stress if it isn't production ready right away. I'm a blender n00b, and it will be a while before 2.49 gets old for me :thumbsup:

CGTalk Moderation
08-17-2009, 04:56 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.