PDA

View Full Version : Using Tiff files

butchdog
07-27-2009, 05:23 AM
Hello there,

Im trying to understand a little more about composition. I would like to know which is the best format to render for a still image. Should I use Tiff format?. What is the best way to work using Tiff files ? Is there any tutorial about this ? I couldnt find any good tutorial about the advantage that I can take from these type of files. I understand that Tiff files save a lot of information like Alpha channel, but what about Z-depth or any other information ?

Thanks guys.

danielHinton
08-04-2009, 09:04 PM
what information are you trying to save?

the ideal format (if you're looking for a wide colour space, eg 32-bit/linear), lossless compression and wide compatability, is OpenEXR. OpenEXR can save many, many channels of information, so you can have depth, an ID matte, colour, alpha etc etc etc in one file. Very useful as a go-between for two programmes.

however, the OpenEXR format takes up a lot of hard drive space and can take a long time to preview.

if you're just rendering something like a pre-render or proxy, then you could do worse than just rendering to an uncompressed format like quicktime animation or uncompressed avi.

Dan

butchdog
08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
Thank you Dan, which format is better, rpf or OpenEXR ?

Thanks again.

CGTalk Moderation
08-05-2009, 05:44 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.