PDA

View Full Version : How to use dielectric_materials efficient

ducvemt
07-27-2009, 04:40 AM
i used dielectric_materials to render water surface by mental ray !
I set parameter like below and result was not good !
every one have idea to use efficient

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2520/3760264259_c285f30074_o.jpg
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3514/3760264255_8f9e46364e_o.jpg

funerium
07-27-2009, 11:28 AM
hi
i dun understand what you did, why did you plugged the diel mat in a blinn ? try with your diel directly your mesh, i dun see the use

i dunno what are your rendersettings so:

did you increased the raytrace settings in the rendersettings? try with at least 6 rays in the 3 settings and mostly in refraction, i think it will be enouth for your scene

you can too do diel stuff with the mia materials, it works quite fine and is more tweakable, put the transparency ( in reflection tab) to 0 , the water ior is around 1.33

switch on the caustics in the rendersettings if you want some, dun forget the photon emission in your light's mentalray tab and check emit photon, photon intensity is the energy initially stored in the photons, photon color is ... their color, exponent is the speed of the energy loss, the bigger the number is, the shorter are the photon life, set to 1 if you dun want energy loss, 10000 photos is usually not a lot , if you gets blotchy caustics the photon number get a role

do you have an idea where the salmon color come from...? from your camera environment? this kind of mat reacts to the background , they are transparent

usually this kind of effect is very fast to get, put the diel mat on your mesh , set color ior or other if you need
switch on caustics if you need, and if you do, switch on photon emission, tweak,
very important increase raytrace rays, or you will get black material in your renders if you do not get enouth raybounces

InfernalDarkness
07-27-2009, 07:52 PM
I'm not sure where Funerium is coming from, but you do have your dielectric shader in the proper slots, excepting that you'll need it in the shadow slot as well (in your Shading Group, mental ray section). You can't just "put the diel mat on your mesh" without attaching it to the shading group.

But he/she does make a good point. Is there any reason you're not using mia_material, or mia_material_x? Dielectric material is very outdated and lacks support or features, and the mia_materials are much better for liquids, glasses, or metals, as well as being physically accurate and rendering faster...

ducvemt
07-28-2009, 01:35 AM
thank all! i thought dielectric_meterial is the best shading for liquid but now i changed my think. I was testing mia_materials and it was so good.
But i have not found best result now ! have everyone tutorials for this ?
And what is dielectric_materials useful for?eryone tutorials for this ?

InfernalDarkness
07-28-2009, 01:54 AM
Go to your mia_material_x, and at the top-right of the Attribute Editor, click on "Presets". Then select "Water", which is by default the last one on the list.

Dielectric material was a precursor to the mia_material, and is deprecated. It's not useful for anything now, since the mia_material has outdated it.

ducvemt
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
And how to render alpha for mia_materials?

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2009, 02:05 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.