PDA

View Full Version : Short Film: Templars

Pages : [1] 2

Wicked_Chicken
07-31-2003, 04:00 AM
Alright, Since it was pointed out to me that this thread exists, here I am.

I'm looking to get a group of people together to create a short sequence of a war torn future in an urban, as well as surreal enviroment. i already have alot of my ideas layed out, and am working on storyboarding.

The technical stuff involves:

Modeling a futuristic Armour system, one man, exo-skeletan type: Only bust and above is needed.

Compositing Real-Time footage of person INTO the armour, creating our main charecter.

Modeling surreal enviroments, as well as ravaged cityscapes (backdrops only, possible a whole street. nothing too large.

I have examples of what I'm looking for if your interested. Please let me know. I am looking, perferably, for dedicated, professionals who want to creat stunning vf scenes.

Email me at wickedchickenstudios@hotmail.com if your want more information.

Thanks you,

Benson Munyan

Dancing Monkey
08-01-2003, 12:24 AM
Is this futuristic, fantasy, historic, or modern armor?

Wicked_Chicken
08-01-2003, 07:31 PM
Modeling a futuristic Armour system, one man, exo-skeletan type: Only bust and above is needed.

Wicked_Chicken
08-04-2003, 04:52 PM
Update: Project currently looking for skilled Modeler for either 3dSM or Maya!

IF interested, email wickedchickenstudios@hotmail.com

Wicked_Chicken
08-31-2003, 07:04 AM
First Draft Storyboard up

Link! (http://stu.aii.edu/~bgm271/story%20all.jpg)

Benork
09-09-2003, 01:37 PM
Those story boards look really nice. I'd love to help out in a project like this. To date i have directed a short film and a documentary at college so I have a bit of experience.

Id like to make a few suggestions.

Storyboards:

1) Very artistic, however there is no constant size to the drawings. One shot they are 4:3 the next its 16:9 or 2.33:1. Whilst this makes for more dynamic comic books it less appropriate here. Though they are amazing none the less.

2) It may help to have an extra box next to each board, or a space to write underneath. This would include information such as scene number, shot number, type of shot (wide, close up etc.) as well as the sounds (music, script etc.).

3) When I storyboard I try and aim for about 3 on a sheet of A4. I'm on my lunch break at work right now so ill post an example of the sheets I use when i get back home tonight.

Script:

1) Do you have one? Is it finished? Its the most important thing and without a complete script you cannot make this project.

Story:

1) You say you want to make a sequence. What is the story? Have you worked out a story and broken it down into sequences from which this a part. The only short films that work without narrative are advertisements are music videos.

2) Do you know anything about narrative structures. This is a process of breaking down the story into 7 different steps. I can help you with this if you would like.

Do you have any qualifications or experience working on other projects? What you want to do seems fairly ambitious so do know you can achieve what you want?

Unless you can pay them. Don't expect professionals. Unless you can post a great portfolio of past work. Don't expect experts. (imho)

Look forward to you reply :thumbsup:

Wicked_Chicken
09-09-2003, 04:23 PM
OH MY GOD! SOMEONE REPLIED :P:thumbsup: :wavey: :beer: :buttrock:

Ehem...

Firstly, thanks for all the feedback! I realize that they arnt a constant size. i wasnt going for a comic book feel, those are basically cropped shots (I drew them full, and realized i didnt need alot of the stuff in them)

I'm in the process of transfering the storyboard to something more usable, i'll break it down into more shorts as well.

Script: As far an tangible script goes, I havent writen one up yet, however I DO have an actual sotry (well, more now, I thought of a really touching addiction to this one as well) Once again, everything is In the works.

I'd be more than happy to share the story, just not here :P

Narrative what?! I know a bit about story telling, but you know more (99% chance here) I'm always willing to learn.

As far as qualifications go, I have a few minor school projects, but nothing in the same league as this. This is all mine.

As far as professionals go, I have a bunch of great instructors i've talked to (everything from storyboarding to after ffects) i realize alot of the work i'll have to learn to do myself (modeling) i know i may have to contract work out. thats fine with me, as long as the end result is what i need.

i look forward to your responce.
benson

Benork
09-09-2003, 10:26 PM
I'm glad you liked the response. Do you have MSN? If so maybe we could talk more about the project. I live in the UK so finding a time to talk may be tricky, but I'm sure we can work somthing out.

I would love to get involved with it, I'm just not entirely sure what skills I have that you need.

I can do the following with a pretty professional level of competence:

Video Editing
Sound Editing
Production Management
Script writing

I have some skills in special effects, though not alot. Like you, I am also always willing to learn new things and I plan to spend a hell of alot of this year getting odd jobs in the industry before going onto university.

In order to get into the course I want, which is pretty hard as it gets alot of applicants, I need to show a good portfolio and demonstrate I have alot of experience. Working on a project like this would be great for me.

Do you have a website? Anything where people can go to find out about this project. I think this is important. Like half the planet I can make websites, though I don't really enjoy it so I don't think I would want to make one. However its something I think you would do well to consider.

Are any other people already involved in the project? If so what can they do, how much time will they commit and can you trust them? Theres nothing worse than a person who constantly promises to deliver and then suddenly vanishes after you have invested alot of time working with them.

Could you send me the story? (kellydesign@hotmail.com) I'd love to have a look.

Benork
09-09-2003, 10:38 PM
I have e-mailed you the storyboard templates I use. They are saved as pdfs.

They aren't amazing, but they work fine for me. I tend to keep them in plastic wallets in a lever arch files as facing pages.

Vis Ins = Visual Instruction (ie wide shot, close up). The rest is pretty self explanatory.

Wicked_Chicken
09-11-2003, 07:30 PM
Heres the prologue and first chapter. they are un-revised, so expect massive changes. it isnt converted to a screenplay yet either, but c&c is welcome.

"Screams: Not the loud sheiking you would expect from a traitor...

Cowards, only fearless in the eyes of their blasphamous demonic false gods.

Curse them. Praise he who survived, who survives to guide men and strike down the terrible foe..."

Benson slowly disengaged his tactical display.

Cries dimmed the gunfire, but only for an instant. The night sky was pitch black, save the tracers and shallow whines of Imperial Bombardment kilometers away.

"Damn."

Earlier that year, Cultists had sieged an imperial Palace; it wasn't exactly uncommon.

(Flashback of daemons eyes)

Benson spit. Nothing to see here. He looked to the shattered hive skyline that surrounded him. There we're no traitors in this area. They were slaughtered; or they tried to flee, then got slaughtered. Either way, they burned in hell.

Benson could see pairs of dark blue eyes scattered across the ruins.

(Lightning cracks directly about the city, shacking rubble and dust to the ground)

(Flash Templar Cross on shoulderpad)

Benson pulled a silver chain out of his armour. It glared in the dusty moonlight, tarnished with dirt and blood.

The Inquisition.

(Flashes of court rooms and skulls: Crusifixions and fire. The Infamous symbol of witch hunters)

Benson finished checking his gear.

Templars where known for being bloody, second only to the Blood Angels.

Overzealous killing machines. No questions: Alive, Dead, or Guilty. It was black and white, just like their armour.

Benson loaded his weapon and began down the alley, followed by others.

"Templars"

Epidemic:

Neophyte Jaques waited. Slight morning breeze, no gunfire...

Perfect.

He checked his right and left sides. Thomas and Garcia were both wide awake; Unnaturally aware even.

It was just before dawn, the scouts eyes were lit up like christmas lights. It burned; the light refraction from the sniper rifles. They weren't standard issue for the Templar's, but its hard to hit anything after 300 yards with a pistol.

Jaques prefered a shotgun. A chainsword was better, but the tech marines couldn't pruduce the Imperial machine like they used to.

40 levels up. Jaques didn't do the math. His eyes smoothly rolling from alley to alley, checking choke points and windows.

Just over a year ago, heretics had seiged an Imperial Palace. The odd thing was this time they actually took it.

All the scouts could see were shadows from within the palace, never for more than a instant: Anyone caught in the windows was asking for the Emperors Justice.

A low roaring in the distance approched from the distance...

"Here it Comes..."

Click.

Indicators flashed on the indicator. Vox chattered then quit as soon as it began.

Evac.

"Gentlemen, I believe it's time we disappear."

Jaques spoke softly as he shrunk into the sublevels.

"We're gone." whinned the comm. Everyone was out. 20 seconds. Not bad.

"Drop pods or bombs sarge?" Garcia chuckled...

Jacques listen intently... they were small and fast.

"It's not the I.N..." He continued...

"Death Company?!"

Dismay crept onto each of the scouts faces.

Blood Angels...

"Where the hell did THEY come from?" piped Thomas loudly.

Jacques strived to catch the rant on his comm.

"Sounds like they had an outbreak of suicide traitors."

Traitors: Cultists, lead by the vile false gods. They didn't fear death, they would run into the enemy by the masses, commiting themselves to death by challanging the Blessed Emperor, then destryoing themselves in a volley of grenades or bombs.

"Don't those bastards fear death?"

"Not all of them... Some welcome it. Not all are happy about their position."

"Who can blame them? I'd kill myself if I were a tra..." Garcia stopped.

Jaques pressed the bolter barrel into Garcia's forhead.

"That...." He quivered...

"is heresy. Watch your tongue, neophyte. Careless words arn't welcome. You'll not be so lucky if it happens again. Pray no-one remembers this..." Jaques holstered the pistol.

"Less.... You would enjoy a visit from the friendly Inquisition?"

Garcia Grunted

"I didn't think so."

Benork
09-11-2003, 10:30 PM
Lets hope the copyright issues work out

Wicked_Chicken
09-11-2003, 10:44 PM
I've sent GW and email regaurding proper copywrite permission, I should have a responce within the next week if all goes well.

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
09-12-2003, 11:31 PM
Alright, we have a temperay solution to communication...

Its simple, but hopefully it will serve our needs.

http://pub7.ezboard.com/bepidemicinside

Benork
09-13-2003, 10:41 AM
Tried signing up on the board but no luck so far mate.

Had a play around with the story and scripted the introduction. It's just an idea but ive cut out alot of the 'jargon' that only us warhammer players know anything about.

I reckon it will give this a wider audience, which is important. I've also cut out everything that cannot be explained on camera. So we miss out on some detail, but its gonna be easier to achieve.

As i said its just an idea, if your not happy with it. Say.

Screenplay conversion idea.

THE TEMPLARS

PART ONE INTRODUCTION OF SETTING AND CHARACTERS

SCENE 1 THE

EXT. BROKEN CITY LANDSCAPE NIGHT

A WAR IS RAGING IN THE DISTANCE, WHILST THE CRIES OF BATTLE ARE TOO FAR TO BE HEARD THE LOUD RESONATING SOUND OF CANNON FIRE PENETRATE THE OTHERWISE PEACEFUL AIR. THE NIGHT SKY IS ILLUMINATED BY TRACER FIRE CONTRASTING AGAINST THE DARK CLOUDS OF SMOKE AND ASH BILLOWING UP INTO THE SKY.

Benson surveys the battle. We see from his inside his tactical display the battle raging in the distance. He disengages the display.

Turning back to survey the wreckage of the hive city behind him.

BENSON
Damn.

COLOUR FADE IN TO WHITE AND OUT

SCENE 2 THE MEMORY

AN ANGRY MOD OF HERETIC SCREAMING ZEALOTS ADVANCES TOWARDS THE IMPERIAL PALACE.

FLASH IN AND OUT.

THE PALACE BURNS AS HERETICS CUT THE THROATS OF CIVILIANS AND OFFICERS ALIKE.

FLASH IN AND OUT.

THE LEADER PLANTS A BANNER BEARING THE DEMONIC SYMBOL OF THOSE WHO HAVE SUCCUMB TO THE CHAOS DEAMONS.

FLASH IN AND OUT.

HERETICS ARE RUNNING SCREAMING AS BULLETS DEVOUR THEIR FLESH. BENSON IS SEEN STRIDING AMONGST THE PEOPLE AND TOWERING OVER A BODY OF THE FALLEN DEAD BOLTER FIRING CEASELESSLY UNTIL THE LAST HAVE FALLEN.

BENSON
(shouting)
Mark my words brothers. All
traitors will perish to burn in
hell.

A cheer of victory is sounded by the company of space marines.

COLOUR FADE IN TO WHITE AND OUT

SCENE 3

LIGHTNING STRIKES STIKES THE RUINED BUILDINGS ABOVE, ILLUMINATING THE SKIES FOR AN INSTANT.

BENSON PULLS A SILVER CHAIN OUT OF HIS ARMOR AND STARES AT IT, TURNING IT AROUND IN HIS FINGERS.

Discarding his spent magazine, Benson reloads and moves forward with a cry.

BENSON
(shouts)
TEMPLARS.

The camera zooms back to see the company of marines moving out behind him.

FADE OUT.

The next bit is gonna be harder to convert, but ill give it a shot later on today.

Benork
09-13-2003, 11:34 AM
*updated the above*

Ok, narrative structure. I mentioned it earlier so here it is.

We need to break down the story into the following areas:

1) Introduction of setting and characters.
2) Explanation of a state of affairs
3) Initiating event.
4) Emotional response or statement of goal by protagonist
5) Complicating emotions.
6) Outcome
7) Reactions to outcome.

Every film, short or long, can be broken down into the above theory. Its not something I made up and its academically approved the world over.

As an example lets break up a film like starwars.

1) Introduction of setting and characters.

We have the scrolling text, meet darth vader, leia as well as the droids.

2) Explanation of state of affairs.

On the larger scale, galaxy under rule of the evil empire. On a smaller scale its the theft of the plans for the death star and the empires attempts to retrieve them.

3) Initiating event.

The droids meet luke who now has possesion of the plans.

4) Statement of goal.

Very clear: its the point where luke says 'There is nothing here for me now. I want to come with you and learn the ways of the force and become a Jedi like my father'.

Though the actual goal is to take the plans to aleraan so the death star can be destroyed.

5) Complicating emotions.

Luke falls in with han solo and almost gets caught by the empire. He meets leia and there are some complex emotions there, as well as rivalry between himself and han. He sees his mentor obiwan struck down by his arch enemy. He becomes a pilot and takes on a suicide mission. The list goes on.

6) Outcome

The death star is defeated and the empire takes a huge blow. Victory for the alliance

7) Reactions to outcome

Luke is made a hero and all is happy.

(this is an example i hashed out very very quickly, if i get some star wars geeky fans here that try and argue out every point i will not be impressed. I will ignore everything that is said against this. if you must criticise me then criticise somethig, do that to the script/story)

Anyway after my length explination, we need to apply this to our story. I just thought it might help to see how we do so.....

Benork
09-13-2003, 04:32 PM
*my bad. posted in the wrong forum by mistake*

(damn myself for leaving windows open)

Wicked_Chicken
09-13-2003, 04:41 PM
hahaha, thats great. oh well. i doupt it'll matter, no-one reads this thread but us :P

Benork
09-13-2003, 05:25 PM
heh true.... shame really. we could use some more people on board :P

Wicked_Chicken
09-13-2003, 06:01 PM
DID YOU ALL HEAR THAT??? WE NEED MORE DEDICATED TALENT!!!

murnau
09-28-2003, 01:07 PM
ok! i'm with you if you want a maya modeler

Benork
09-29-2003, 12:25 AM
Sounds brilliant. Can you tell us more about yourself? What modelling have you done? Do u know anything about the project?

Id really love to see some examples of your work...

Can't wait for your next post

:thumbsup:

Keiyentai
09-29-2003, 07:47 AM
Wow this sounds realy cool. Well I cant really help cuase I am currently making a game for PC but I hope you guys get this going and completed when you want. Hope I can see it when it is done. Almost reminds me of StarCraft kind of. Owell good luck :D

murnau
09-29-2003, 09:09 AM
these are some of my old works, but i have recently make a course so my style is better eheheh :rolleyes:

http://www.redrival.com/amonrei/centares06.jpg
http://www.redrival.com/amonrei/12.jpg
http://www.redrival.com/amonrei/10.jpg

Benork
09-29-2003, 01:14 PM
Thanks Keiyentai, I can't wait till we can post some work in progress shots, though don't forget we are still in pre-production at the moment, so don't expect anything soon.

Murnau, I'm sorry but I can't see the pictures.... Could you perhaps e-mail them to me at kellydesign@hotmail.com. Thanks.

Wicked_Chicken
09-29-2003, 04:46 PM
Keiyentai: Thanks for the support. What game are you working on?

murnau: I am oly able to see the last one. if thats indeed old work, I'm impressed, and very much excited to see what you can do now. I think you may want to try another host. If you want, you can simply email me the pictures and I'll host them for you. Just a thought.

Benork: I'm going to talk to Missal and see if he is interested in ripping out some concept art. I'm going to begin throwing my story lines on paper later this week. I'm in Utah now on vacation, going to talk to the Rogue Trader to see what material I can snag from the wrhammer bible.

Thanks for everyones growing support and interest!

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
09-29-2003, 06:15 PM
Just got a reply from Hivemind @ GW:

Sounds cool! Ive ccd our IP folks in the UK about the project, as they are the ones youll need to get an OK from for this. If you dont hear back from them in the next couple of days let me know, and hope it goes well!

YAY!

murnau
09-29-2003, 07:16 PM
Wicked_Chicken what's your e-mail?

Keiyentai
09-29-2003, 11:01 PM
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=90811 thats the game I am working on. Heh cool Murnau is helping out on it too :D small world lol.

Benork
09-29-2003, 11:48 PM
Sounds good! Make sure you keep a copy of the e-mail they send you. Don't want to be left without a leg to stand on later down the line ;)

Wicked_Chicken
09-30-2003, 06:27 AM
I agree benork, now we have "contact" at GW. Thats going to be valuable, to say the least. The fact he liked the idea is even better. Hopefully things will start moving again.

I've been reviewing GW IP policy, and technically, they don't ever give out "Official" Permissions for anything. As far as I can tell, we are in the clear, as the is no commercial involvment or sponsorship. If anyone wants to check out their Legal department to familiarize themselves with GW's Legal status )which I think would be good for everyone involved), heres the link.

http://www.games-workshop.com/Legal/legal.htm

Thanks all,

Benson

softdistortion
09-30-2003, 10:13 PM
Read through some of your ideas here. Sounds ambitious. Benork is a valuable find for this project. I would be willing to help out a bit here and there just to get to work with him.

website is in tag below.
my recent links with my work :
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91543
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91542
http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=91537

I can probably also help you guys get the website and forum gallery etc.

murnau
09-30-2003, 10:55 PM
good! do you use poser too?

softdistortion
09-30-2003, 11:13 PM
:surprised . .....I use Lightwave. :) Sorry , I should have mentioned that.

Wicked_Chicken
09-30-2003, 11:17 PM
I like your 3d work, especially the 3d space scenes. You more than welcome to help on this project.

I've just wrote a 45 minute post to have it wiped out by a hotkey glitch in IE, so I'll keep it short.

GW Legal sent me an email this morning; and while it didnt give me a deciesive answer, it did leave it up to translation of the afformentioned GW Legal IP section on games-workshop.co.uk.

While this is probably good news, unfortunatly, I am not a legal mastermind. I'd like it if Benork (or anyone for that matter) reviewed the contents of those few pages and tell me if we're a go; because as far as I'm concerned, we are.

The Team:

Nothing could have prepared me for the influx of interest I've recieved this week alone. I think we've brought on an addictional 2-3 people this week, and while it means we are MUCH closer to getting the thing planned out, it also means we are strapped for a better form of collective communication. I would like to get a forum of some sort up. The ezboard we have up is still good, but no-one seems to be using it. Please check it out, as it has contact information, script and screenwriting ideas, and ect already up. Once we get communication solved, everything gets easier.

If you plan on being a part of the team, I need everyone to either send me an email with the software your competent in, as well as what you would like to do. Better yet, through it unto the Templar forum under contacts.

I know I'm forgetting about half a hours worth of type here, but I think this is enough for now.

Thanks for your growing support!

Benson

murnau
09-30-2003, 11:32 PM
hehe sorry me! i've seen the girl with the electic hair or the man of water on your site

softdistortion
09-30-2003, 11:53 PM
Sorry, I misunderstood you.

That's an old pic that I uploaded to my site for another person I have been talking with. He is a Shirow fan and so I posted that old image of mine for him. You have a very keen eye! Bodes well for the team!

murnau
10-01-2003, 12:01 AM
HeHe :thumbsup:

softdistortion
10-01-2003, 03:40 AM
I like you already ! :D

Wicked_Chicken
10-01-2003, 05:45 AM
Ahhh!

It wasnt meant to be a scolding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ehem.

No, it really wasnt. If it came off that way, it wasnt supposed to.
I just dont want to use poser for the project: i dont see the need.

Benson

softdistortion
10-01-2003, 01:52 PM
My fault, I'll try to quit horsing around with tongue in cheek posts. Sorry to make you sound like the disciplinary overlord. - oops there I go again...:shrug:

Wicked_Chicken
10-03-2003, 02:34 AM
:surprised:

I got the Warhammer 40k bible a friend made, been reading everything ever published on the Imperium... stumbled accross a great story about the Officio Assassinorum... So heres a history and the story itself.

Ruling the galaxy-spanning Imperium requires absolute authority, and this needs to be reinforced by the use of absolute power. in its crudest form, power means armies of warriors, war machines and spacecraft, but it can be applied in more subtle ways to achieve the desired end. Coercion, bribery, threats, blackmail, and murder are all in the armoury of those who rule. To this end, the Imperium has developed several institutions to study,, perfect, and exploit these weapons to their fullest; ancient institutions that trace their history back to the Great Crusade and the very birth of the Imperium. One such organization is the Officio Assassinorum.

The Officio Assassinorum, or Office of Assassins, is one of the most secrative organisations in the Imperium. It's hidden Grand Master is one of the High Lords of Terra, the cabal of awesomly powerful individuals whose every decision affects untold billions of people and immence tracts of the imperium.

Only the High Lords themselves can sanction the deployment of the assassins, for fear that their own weapons may be used against them. It is said that in the distant past the Grand Masters used assassins to further thier own ends, and a reign of terror clutched even the High Lords themselves. In the anarchic Wars of Vindication the Grand master himself fell to the assassins knife. Thereafter, the High Lords took special care to control the Officio Assassinorum so that, in thoery, only traitors and heretics need fear it today.

The Imperium is already a very frail organisation. Planetary rulers across the Imperium must understand that abuse of their power will result in them facing the justice of the sword and gun. Some may be able to avoid the judiciaries of the Adeptus Arbites (Military Police). fewer still may be able to face off against the Imperial Guard and the Adeptus Astartes(Space Marines), but let it be kown that none can stand against the Officio Assassinorum.

Wicked_Chicken
10-03-2003, 03:04 AM
Death of the Grand Master of Assassins:

+++++Date: 0139288/M36
++++++Ref: 009882/HJ
+++++++To: The Inquisitorial Representative
++++++From: Inquisitor Jaegar
++++Subject: Death of the Grand Master of Assassins

Thought for the day: "Know your destination, before you set out."

A few months after the death of Lord Vandire and the end of the Wars of Apostacy, the Imperial Palace was once again rocked by the violence of all-out war. This time a far more sinister element was involved: The Officio Assassinorum. Somehow, entrance to and from the palace had been barred, despite no order comming from the High Lords of Terra. Trapped in its confines, many had barricaded themselves in their chambers as the palace echoed to the sound of gunfire and shook with the force of devestating explosions. This period of violence culminated the death of the Grand Master of Assassins himself.

It was brought to my attension that the same day as this heinous crime, a package was delivered to the Inquisition. Contained within was one signet ring, and a provenance written in an anonymous hand.

The signet ring bore the seal of the Officio Assassinorum, and was an exact replica of the ring worn by all Grand Masters of Assassins as a badge of office. The provenance enclosed with the ring claimed that the one on the finger of the recently deceased Grand Master was in actual a fake.

An Inquisitoral Seal was immediatly thrown around the maulsoleum containing the Grand Master's body and we set out to investigate these claims for ourselves. If the provenance was true, than the ring on the Grand Master's finger would hava a data crystal instead of a ruby. This did, in fact, prove to be the case, and threw doupt into the identity of the body that now lye in the mausoleum. If it wasn't the Grand Master then who was it? Who was responcible for the package that lead to this discovery and where was the real Grand Master?

The information stored on the data crystal was an Adeptus Administratum vault code. The Adeptus Administratum has vast vaults on Terra, hundreads of chambers holding some of the Imperiums darkest secrets. To locate any one vault could take someone years or even decades of searching. The key to finding a vault is to use one of the special Archive Servitors. These Servitors are linked to a special memory slave that holds the locations of most the vaults. It would be stressed that for security purposes the data bank only has the locations of the vaults, and not what is within. We requisitioned three Archive-Servitors and placed a sensor beacon on each before inputting the vault code. Two of the Servitors malfuntioned, the first incorrectly plotted a course accross a walkway that no longer existed and fell two kilometers suffering irrepairable damage. The second simple disappeared. After a two week period only one of them had successfully located the vault, its sensor beacon indicating that it had travel some fifty kilometers into the depths of the Terran hive. The enterance to the vault was blocked by a collapsed walkway and an excavation team was needed to break through the rubble.

In case we had stumbled into a trap, another servitor was dispacted to investigate the vault. What we found was another dead body. The body of the Grand Master lay preserved in a stasis field. However, upon genetic testing, this too proved not to be the remains of the true Grand Master!

Sotred with the body was a document which I bleive was written by the true Grand Master. In the face of such overwhileming evidence I can find no reason to doupt the testimony contained in the document (replicated on the following pages) which reveals widespread corruption within the Officio Assassinorum.

My final conclusion is that the Officio Assassinorum is in dire need of reorganisation, and like many offices of the Adeptus Administratum it needs more rigorous monitering. This will fall into the juristdiction of the Inquistion and we will be setting up a new department to carry ou this function. The Department will be called the Ordo Sicarius.

I recommend, to aviod further embaressment, that no traces of this should come to light and Imperial records be amended to read thus: "In the anarchic Wars of Vindication the Grand Master of Assassins fell to an assassins knife. Thereafter, the High Lords took special care that, in thoery, only traitors and heretics need fear it today."

I respectfully submit this report to you and leave unto your discretion how much information you disclose to higher authorities.

By Order of the Inquisition

Inquisitor Jaegar

Wicked_Chicken
10-03-2003, 03:06 AM
I'll post the first person accounts tomorrow, i got a tired typing hand :P

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
10-03-2003, 07:00 AM
For eighty years I have resided over the Officio Assassinorum, and if this document has fallen into the hands of the Inquisition then I have been successful in uncovering both the assassination attemp upon my life and the corruption within the Officio Assassinorum. I can only hope that the person reading this takes the appropriate action to prevent and further spread of this corruption.

During the reign of Lord Valdire, I relentlessly resisted allowing this evil man any foothold within the Officio Assassinorum. But as his hold on the Imperium tightened, it rapidly became obvious that Lord Valdire had somehow enlisted the help of the Officio Assassinorum. Several reports of dead and missing officials and dignitaries pointed towards the involvment of the Officio Assassinorium. Of course, all the assassinations concerned where carried out perfectly and no obvious traces of Officio Assassinorum involvment could be found. But, familiar as I am with the modu operandi of all the hidden temples of the Officio Assassinorum, there were enough clues within the reports for me to detect a pattern. Plus, all the deaths seemed to be terribly convienient for furthering Lord Valdire's own ends.

The question that now remained unanswered was, who was Valdire's man within the Officio Assassinorum? Looking at the reports of missing people and mysterious deaths there was no on temple responcible. Some I suspected to be the responciblity of my own Vindicare Temple, while others had been horrible mauled by the assassins of the Eversor Temple, and many poisonings could quite easily be the Venenum Temple. The list went on implicating many possible temples and making it impossible to point the finger in any one direction. This left me with one of two conclusions. The first is that the Officio Assassinorum had been corrupted to it's very core by Vandire and his bribes and blackmail. This, however, seemed unlikely, due to the viel of secrecy over the Officio which meant that Lord Valdire could only know a few individuals within the Officio Assassinorum.

The only other possible answer lay with the Callidus Temple. Using the shape-altering drug polymorphine to assume identities, the Callidus Temple is notorious for it's ability of it's assassins to infiltrate other offices of the Imperium. Many a planetary governor has fallen foul of a Callidus assassin disquised as a beautiful courtesen or lowly servent. With such skills and expertise at its disposal, the Callidus Temple Could easily infiltrate the Officio Assassinorum itself.

The other damning fact was the presence of a man called Tziz Jarek. As the Director Primus of the Callidus Temple he was a powerful man within the Officio Assassinorum, and my arch-rival.
Jarek was favoured to be the next Grand Master himself, but when the position became vacant a cruel set of circumstances prevented him from taking the post. At the time Tziz Jarek was engaged upon a mission, infiltrating a strong warband of Dark Eldar. These strange and twisted psyche of these beings meant that only the most skilful of Callidus assassins could attemp this dangerous task. Jarek and his elite team headedup the operation himself. Jarek and his elite team of Callidus assassins hadn't been heard of for over a year and many felt that they must have failed, probably with fatal results. This was certainly the standpoint that the High Lords of Terra took when the previous Grand Master died of old age and the post was given to me...

(To be continued...)

Wicked_Chicken
10-03-2003, 07:51 PM
When Jarek returned from the mission victorious, he has dismayed to find the post that should have been his filled by me. Both myself and Jarek were initiated into the Officio Assassinorum at a similar age, he knew as well as I did that he would never get to be Grand Master now. By the time I died and vacated the office of Grand Master he would either be too old or dead himself. Unless I should suffer a fatal accident in the meantime...

But Lord Vandire knew of this rivalry too, he had been one of the High Lords of Terra responcible for giving me the position of Grand Master. Having failed to enlist the Officio Assassinorum to his cause through me, it would be an obvious move for Lord Vandire to use Jarek's hatred of me to gain a foothold in the Officio Assassinorum.

Using the skills and resources of the Callidus Temple, I beleive that Jarek infiltrated several temples within the Officio Assassinorum. It seems that Jarek ordered the assassination of a high ranking official withing a particular temple and then replaced him with a Callidus assassin. Thus Valdire's evil corruption infected the Officio Assassinorum and spread like a malignant tumour.

With the death of Lord Valdire, many offices of the Imperium were being ordered to pruge their own ranks of individuals suspected of siding with the falled Ecclesiarch. Jarek knew the Officio Assassinorum was an unforgiving organisation which does not tolerate errors or failure of any form. A purge within the Officio Assassinorum would be utterly ruthless. Anyone, even if unwittingly involved in Lord Valdires schemes, would fall. I realised at this point that my own life could be in danger. If I was Jarek, my next move would be to assassinate the Grand Master and use poly-morphine to assume his identity. I set into place my own contigency plans. To avoid the fate Jarek undouptedly had set for me, I had the fake signet ring made and got a loyal Callidus assassin to assume my identity.

Jarek's next move was just as I had expected. One night he and two other assassins entered the chambers of the Grand Master and killed my double. At this point I elected to disappear. In reply to those who may query why I did this, I know now what a weak organisation the Officio Assassinorum was. If it could fall victim to the corruption of a few individuals then the entire organisation needed reconstructing. To do that would have been to be utterly smashed first.

I was determined to bring the Officio Assassinorum to it's knees. only then would it stand any chance of surviving at all. Together with a group of loyal assassins I declared all-out war. Jarek may be sitting in the office of Grand Master, wearing my signet on his finger, but I was still Grand Master and a High Lord on Terra. Only I knew all the Officio Assassinorums secrets. Only I knew the codes that unleashed Eversor assassins. Only I know the hidden identity of every single assassin. Only I could gain access to the Officio Assassinorum's secret arsenals, containing some of the most devestating weaponry in the Imperium...

Day and night, assassin's loyal to me battled against the renegades. Eversor assassins stalked the corridors, the coded identities of the renegade assassins programmed into their sub-conscious. My own Vindicare assassins lay in the air ducts and his in the tall alcoves of the Imperial Palace, gunning down traitors with impunity. hidouts were located and destroyed with lethal demolition charges, some so powerful that whole sections of the Imperial Palace collapsed, killing many innocent people. Many loyal assassins risked using weapons for the Officio Assassinorums secret arsenal: some where unstable, or limited in the amount of ammunition available. But when fighting against oppenants as lethal as a fellow assassin, if these tools of destrustion could kill just one of out foes then it would push the war in our favour.

One by one the assassins that had supported either Vandire or Jarek were brought down, until finally only Jarek remained. i confronted him in the chambers of the Grand Master.

I had prepared this moment right from the very start: a haywire grenade charge lay planted within the very fabric of my desk, a voice activated sensorwould detenate the grenade when I spoke the code word. My Exitus weapons werestill mounted ceremonially on the wall. But one of these weapons was not a show peice, the pistol was loaded and armed. Jarek was prepared also, he laid waiting for me, the wargear of teh Callidus Temple ready. He grinned with glee, knowing that even a master of hand to hand combat like myself stood little chance against the longer reach of his C'Tan phase sword and the dreaful brain debilitating effects of a Nueral Shredder.

I said the code word and the haywire grenade detonated sending an electromagnetic pulse throughout the chamber. Jarek looked on in horror as the energ drained from his weapons, leaving then useless. I used Jarek's moment of indecision to pull the Exitus pistol from it's place on the wall and fired twice. By this time, Jarek had recovered from the shock of loosing his weapons, but his abilities to dodge were in vain, the tiny targeting computers inside eachbullet were programmed to lock onto Jarek's heat signiture and follow him whichever way he dived. The first hit Jarek in the head and the second struck him in the chest. Specially chosen biodegradable rounds ensured the weapon that killed Jarek could never be traced. I removed the ammo clip andn replaced it with a clip of conventional rounds and placed the weapon on the wall.

With this final deed I had brought to end the corruption within the Officio Assassinorum. However, like a gangerous infection I had been forced to remove the infected limb in it's entirety. The Officio Assassinorum now lies in ruins and I leave its rebuilding in the hands of the Inquisition. For my part in these events I cannot remain completely blameless. I was foolish enough to think the Officio Assassinorum could stand alone and not fall to the corrupt ways of someone like Lord Valdire. I should have been on my guard and vigilant. Like a sniper waits for it's quarry, I should have been looking for the seeds of corruption and stamping them out before they had a chance to take root.

It is for these reasons that I cannot possibly continue to be Grand Master, both for the good of the Imperium and for the rebuilding of the new Officio Assassinorum. I can only hope that I have absolved myself in front of the Emperor. Only he can deciede whether or not I am worthy of his everlasting peace.

"Exitus Acta Probat: The Outcome Justifies the Deed."

The Grand Master of Assassins

softdistortion
10-03-2003, 09:41 PM
Where's Benork??

Wicked_Chicken
10-04-2003, 07:06 AM
The last email a got from him a few days ago stated he was going to be hammered with work for a week or so, then his load should lighten up. As far as I know, he's busy with work.

Benork, you haven't like, deserted have you?

:shrug:

Wicked_Chicken
10-04-2003, 06:14 PM
Come on team, anyone can post ideas here... :P

Slave to displinary action (ehem...)
Benson

Benork
10-04-2003, 10:32 PM
Sorry Benson, just got home for the first time in days. Work is a killer.

I'm very impressed with the amount of feedback we have been recieving. I'm trying to catch up with all the stuff that has been happening, but I thought I would let you know I have not deserted. I've commited myself so expect to me to be around for the duration.

I'm gonna eat this food and then read everything you guys have written.

Post again later

Ben

Benork
10-04-2003, 10:58 PM
Right im going through the Games Workshop 'COPYRIGHT AND LEGAL INFORMATION' page, if i see any problems with it I will post it.

Benson you said they sent you an e-mail can I read it? I have a fair amount of legal knowledge so I should be able to make a little sense of it.

Softdistortion, thankyou very much, thats alot of praise. I just hope I can live up to expectations ;). I'm glad we have someone with your 3d skills onboad. Welcome to the team :thumbsup:

Really interesting read all the assasin stuff. Used to know a hell of alot of 40k background info, but I never knew all that.

Benork
10-04-2003, 11:41 PM
Having read the legal section of the GW website, I reckon the chances are we are going to be ok.

However we have to bear in mind that GW could close us down and take legal action requiring us to destroy all materiel created at any given moment without warning.

We will also have to use a disclaimer of some kind on our film. Another film was started a while ago, but suddenly stopped. I will try and find out why, if GW closed them down (after they created a fair amount of stuff i might add) then I'd say we have a problem.

I will try and speak to someone in the legal department of GW HQ in the UK on Monday or Tuesday of this week.

GW Info on short films:

Animations

We would probably not have a problem with anyone creating animations based upon our intellectual property as long as there is not commercial connection to that creation. Again, please be careful of the language used and the topics discussed.

Example disclaimer

Warhammer 40,000
Adeptus Astartes, Blood Angels, Bloodquest, Cadian, Catachan, the Chaos devices, Cityfight, the Chaos logo, Citadel, Citadel Device, Codex, Daemonhunters, Dark Angels, Dark Eldar, 'Eavy Metal, Eldar, Eldar symbol devices, Eye of Terror, Fire Warrior, Forge World, Games Workshop, Games Workshop logo, Genestealer, Golden Demon, Gorkamorka, Great Unclean One, Inquisitor, the Inquisitor logo, the Inquisitor device, Inquisitor:Conspiracies, Keeper of Secrets, Khorne, Kroot, Lord of Change, Necron, Nurgle, Ork, Ork skull devices, Sisters of Battle, Slaanesh, Space Hulk, Space Marine, Space Marine chapters, Space Marine chapter logos, Tau, the Tau caste designations, Tyranid, Tyrannid, Tzeentch, Ultramarines, Warhammer, Warhammer 40k Device, White Dwarf, the White Dwarf logo, and all associated marks, names, races, race insignia, characters, vehicles, locations, units, illustrations and images from the Warhammer 40,000 universe are either , TM and/or Games Workshop Ltd 2000-2003, variably registered in the UK and other countries around the world. Used without permission. No challenge to their status intended. All Rights Reserved to their respective owners.

Benork
10-04-2003, 11:47 PM
I wonder if we can find someone to create a website for us? I will personally pay for the domain and hosting, in exchanging for not creating the site ;)

Softdistortion, I had a look at your website and really liked it. Would you be willing to create something? (I urge to say no if you don't want to, from experience there is nothing worse than making a website when you don't really want to).

I'm off to bed now as I am well and truly knackered. Talk to you all soon.

Ben

Wicked_Chicken
10-05-2003, 12:25 AM
@ Benork:

i have a domain reserved and paid for the next little bit (wickedchickenstudios.com)

as far as not making the site, i dont care about who does it. if it comes down to me designing it and someone else coding, i'm all for that. also, as far as hosting goes I'll have that server up withing the month, just keep yer fingers crossed.

also, thanks for reading the GW IP policy. I read it like 5 times and really didnt understand much of it. I'll forward the email I got from GW later tonight when I have time. The G/F is looking over my shoulder and i think im in for it.

as far as discalimers, yes, we do have to state theat everything is done un-officially. I know bloodquest has been in the works for AGES and they havent had any work done since may or so.

i did send another memo to GW asking about the use of the Death of the Grand Master of Assassins story, havent heard back yet. I totally forgot you were in the Uk (Duh!) Placing a call would really be a great idea. I should be home by then, so hopefully i'll be able to start getting my ideas together.

uhm, yeah, i think thats all i have for now. glad work is been good for you, or just busy???

its good to hear from you again. i'm really impressed with the new members of the team, lets see how this turns out, eh?

Thanks again for everyones support!

Benson

Benork
10-05-2003, 09:41 AM
Its great that the hosting will be up soon :D. Nice one. Once we have a name for the project it might be nice to get a seperate domain for that too? What do u think?

As far as the story is developping, I thought we were doing a story of Black Templars fighting a war against Chaos. The idea of the Officio Assasinorum is really good, but its a huge change from what I expected.

I think the original idea had better scope. Just my 2 pence.

Work has been a hectic mix of busy and good, but I can't really complain. I'm back shooting on location in France with the BBC again from Thursday till next Tuesday which will be great fun :D

Wicked_Chicken
10-05-2003, 12:26 PM
hmmm, i guess we could get a diffrent domain for the project, i dont really care, as it makes minimal diffrence at this point in time. i fly home tomorrow, so yeah, we'll see.

story...

I dont honestly have a preferance as to what the story is. I like both ideas, and each has it's ups and downs. Templars follows a holy war of my favorite chapter against chaos, but this also is it's drawback. As cool as an idea as it was, i dont know exactly about how to tackle it.

the officio assassinorum is a HUGE change in pace, but at the same time, i get an entirely diffrent feel from it, as i get to see the workings within the machine.

its sorta of a comparision between hmmm... rambo and spy game.
both are great (in their own right) but spy game had so much more thought potency.

honestly, i think i comes down to impact. when i (personally) think of templars. i dunno, its two completly diffrent scales of work. i dont think templars has the impact potency of assassinorum.

i realize that this is sort of a step backwards, as it steps away from what everyone signed up for. i'd like everyones feedback on this one.

in the end, its up to you guys. maybe i should get some pictures up to show the diffrence i see/feel when i'm talking about.

(me feels stupid 'cause I dunno where I'm going with this)

Benson

Benork
10-05-2003, 06:09 PM
Benson, first off man, don't feel stupid. Both are great ideas and you have done well to get this far. Things don't always look crystal clear but I know you will get things sorted out :thumbsup:

I did sign up really to make a space combat epic with high production values. I'm willing to invest the extra time and effort it will take to achieve this and I would much rather focus around a heroic story with grand battles, mighty warriors and great visuals than the second option.

I think the story of the Officio Assasinorum has merits, but it really limits our target audience to hard core GW fans.

A space epic with a simple, yet powerful story will appeal to a wide range of people. The death of the Grand Master of Assasins really doesnt mean alot to the majority of people, a tale of good verses evil is a timeless classic which everyone can understand.

If you could show some pictures that would be great. I may have grabbed the wrong end of the stick after all......

softdistortion
10-05-2003, 08:42 PM
Hey Benork nice to see you back! No pressure from me..":-)

As far as plot here's my 2cents.
I agree with Benork that a more general approach
would have broader appeal. Personally I know nothing more than
what Benson has posted re: Warhammer. And I am not really drawn to what I have been exposed to here.
When he states "A space epic with a simple, yet powerful story will appeal to a wide range of people" this is accurate in my estimate. Coming up with something original in this genre
would also negate any worries re: legal trademark infringements etc. I would also feel more inclined to set up the website forum etc for a project with a broader appeal. Since seem a bit flexible on
direction of the story maybe you could consider this Benson? Either way. No offense intended with my suggestions.

Benork
10-05-2003, 09:35 PM
Softdistortion, Benson and I are talking on MSN right now and we have gone back to square one and sorted out the story, which we will be posting here shortly.

The basic story line is simple, yet effective. We realise that it would be nice to add details and complicated elements, but that it is essential that the story can be understood by people without knowledge of the universe in which it is based.

Therefore we are going for an epic story, with traditional values of a heroic battle against evil. It will have high production values, which though difficult to achieve, will be worth the effort.

Of overall importance is that fact that our story will be able to be understood by both the hardcore Warhammer fan and the 50 year old businessman that hasn't even heard of Heroic Fantasy.

As regards legal issues, we should be in the clear. Before we start I will be speaking to Games Workshop, just to make sure.

Softdistortion, we would really like you onboard with this project, but I totally understand if you want to do you own thing. If i wasn't tied down to so many things at the moment I would gladly help out.

In reply to your last statement, the project will from now on have broad appeal, so any help making a website would be very much appreciated, thankyou very much for the offer.

softdistortion
10-05-2003, 09:44 PM
Wait for info then. Thanks

Wicked_Chicken
10-07-2003, 03:52 AM
Hey Benork, I'm back in Phoenix, and I'm in my Charector design class (talk about timing) think you could send over that history I sent you? I dont seem to have a hard copy here :(

Thanks!

Benson

softdistortion
10-07-2003, 06:08 AM
Here's a quick page for the project. Flash no audio yet...

Page Link (http://www.softdistortion.com/templars.php)

softdistortion
10-07-2003, 02:35 PM
Hey murnau you still here?? :=)

Wicked_Chicken
10-07-2003, 03:58 PM
Like, whoa!

SoftDistortion, I love it. The grey bar is a bit bright, but still, its (teardrop) beautiful!

:beer:

If you want, I could make a firefight loop for audio... just a thought...

Once again, its great work. It's simple, easy to nav, and its got serious attitude!

whats the grey movy/circle thingy? :P

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
10-07-2003, 11:34 PM
Hey Soft, just got a minute to go back and look at the site a bit more, just thought i'd post some ideas. Mostly just suggestions, i don't want to crimp your style, as you volenteered to put it up.

the biggest thing is size, everything is sort of small. the templars logo is great. but the ext. text is a bit hard to read, mainly due to the type face used (which i love, it totally fits)

the other thing is color choice. i think it would better fit if the blues used for the ambience where red, and the rollover went to white.

the only other thing is content. there isnt much there. this is mainly my fault, as i havent been able to disclose a whole lot of anything, if you need anything, by all means let me know. you may be able to fix this my center justification.

just some thoughts, like i said, it's purely subjective, and the fact you've thrown it together so quikly is really impressive.

benson

softdistortion
10-08-2003, 03:08 PM
!

softdistortion
10-08-2003, 03:09 PM
NP...all good suggestions. Try it now (http://www.softdistortion.com/templars.php). If you have some sound you want me to add- post a looping mp3 if you can. Lets leave the text for now..When there are more images to use, I'll make the gallery. Same for Members info...forum will need to be setup also... If I get some time I could do a custom design forum to match the main page, then embed links.

Wicked_Chicken
10-08-2003, 05:34 PM
soft, seeing improvments already, thought the dread inversion is sorta dstracting (i played with it for like 10 minutes, lol)

i'm going to start modeling a basic marine armour, just to see how well i can get it to turn out. i've never done anything like it, so we'll see how it goes.

also, i'll color the dread you used on the site if you want, its a really cool conversion!

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
10-08-2003, 05:57 PM
Ert.... Double Post...

Wicked_Chicken
10-08-2003, 05:58 PM
This is an Inquisitorial Report into Brother Jaegar Fer'c.

Jaegar Fer'c was first Initiated into the 10th Officio Templarium Scout Company. Recruited to the Sword of Crucifiction, Sword of Crux for short, an Fortress Monastery Class ship of our own Adeptus Astartes Fleet. Jaegar Fer'c quickly rose through the ranks of the 10th Company, due to tremendous success in several campiegns, including several crusades in the Gothic Sector, Obscura Segmentum, against the traitor legions known as the World Eaters (See cross refrance "Khorne Bezerkers, Bezerkers KL / Black Rage BA").

NOTE: It must be noted that further investigation by the Inquisition revealed that Jaegar's own human brother was struck down by a vile daemon in the Gothica Crusades of the 17th Day, saving Jaegar (the younger of the brothers) life. No Honours we commended.

Jaegar's thought for the day: Inspiration grows from the barrel of a gun. Suffer not the unclean to live.

Jaegar Fer'c Attributes:

Natural Height: (After Genetic Manipulations) 6'5
Weight: (After Genetic Manipulations) 325
Eye Color: (Changes with enviromental contact) Blue
Hair: Brown
Psyche: Mafioso Exterminatum

Weapons Familiarity:

All Space Marine in the Emperor's service are trained to use ever devisable object with fatal results. However, Brothers of the Black Templar's Chapter are reknowned for close combat expertise, preferring to assure their foes are vanquished personally, rather than from afar.

Brother Jaegar Fer'c was trained in the 10th Scout Campany of the Officio Templarium, placed under arms of the Mars Pattern Shotgun. After Full Initiation into the Chapter as a Brother, Jaegar quickly became learned, even mastered the chainsword (Mars pattern EX-140D, Ref: Chainsword)

Jaegar currently serves in the 1st Veteran Company (Having completed several Vindication Crusades, and a single horrifying Exterminatus) He currently serves under protection of a 2nd Generation suit of Terminator Tactical Armour, equiped with a Templar specific variation, the Mars Assault Cannon and Lighting Claws combination which I have deemed, "Furioso".

Thats my description of our charecter for my class. I'll be drawing him up fully next week. Thoughts?

Benson

PS SD:: I think the ON Ambiance button is broken...

Wicked_Chicken
10-09-2003, 12:29 AM
SoftDistortion:

Firstly, the Ambience button works, my browser was fubared.

Secondly, I have a loop for you. It loops fine in acid, but its got small gaps in windows media player. the actually sound WILL loop, so whatever you need to do to loop it, right. Let me know the best way to get it to you, and i'll send it over. i think its in the 1.4m range, not quite a minute long, at 128bits.

thanks!

Benson

softdistortion
10-09-2003, 01:45 AM
I would suggest ... make it shorter/smaller. Then post a link for me.

-Provisional members page up.
-Provisional gallery live.
(http://www.softdistortion.com/templars.php)

Wicked_Chicken
10-09-2003, 02:55 AM
SoftDistortion,, do you ever sleep?:thumbsup:

It looks great man, I didnt even notice you put some storyboard artwork up! I just bought hosting for all my files, so finally I can do stuff with this fat connection I've got. Heres a link of the loop. I'm not very familiar with flash, so i'll leave the rigging to you. This IS an uncompressed version. I'd like you to try it, if it's too much, I'll make a lower bitrate file.

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templarssiteloop.mp3

I'll try and get a structure base up tonight, as It's a slow night at work.

Just an Idea, I love the members page, but it would be nice if maybe you could click on the picture to get a profile page.

even still, i need to clean myself up :drool:

benson

Wicked_Chicken
10-09-2003, 04:23 AM
Just got done with a few conversations with a few instructors:

I let Pak know of SD's website.

I just got done wtalking to Mr. David Stipes (Special Effects Supervisor for Deep Space Nine)

Got into a discussion about compositing and he gave me tons of great ideas. He also offered to sit down and bash me with the specifics. looks like we've got yet another supporter (An emmy receipent, if I'm not mistaken):buttrock:

Also, I'm sowly trying to figure out HTML, so i can get my own site up to host work for the movie. should be up by the end of tonight.

Benson

softdistortion
10-09-2003, 05:08 AM
-Ambience track live. (http://www.softdistortion.com/templars.php)

PS: Where's Benork got off to again. By the time he gets back there'll be 500+ scenes.... atleast!:p

Wicked_Chicken
10-09-2003, 05:36 AM
Hahahaha! Thats great!!!

Heres my web site... It's tiny, small, and not really impressive, but it's my first attemp, and i personally like it, now i just need to get a link to our page!!!

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Index.html

Nice work SD!

benson

Wicked_Chicken
10-10-2003, 04:09 AM
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Astropath/chaosfear.jpg

theres a concept peice i drew last night and colored today at work. its as a cultist realizes thats not a daemon comming to his aid...

softdistortion
10-11-2003, 12:41 AM
nice, but I don't get it. :shrug:

Wicked_Chicken
10-11-2003, 01:28 AM
well, hes supposed to be turning around to run, but alot of the details got lost when i colored....

doh!

Wicked_Chicken
10-14-2003, 08:28 PM
!!!!

Everyone check in...

softdistortion
10-17-2003, 06:03 AM
I updated the Templars Page also the members page is now streamlined and reintegrated on the main page> loads and unloads faster than before! A news bar has also been added for up to the second??? :-) news. To bad there ain't much news huh?? :p

NEW PAGE UPDATES HERE! (http://www.softdistortion.com/templars.php)

Wicked_Chicken
10-17-2003, 06:14 AM
Yeah SD, I have a front, 3/4 and side of Jaegar's head drawn, I'll post it up in the morning. It's the head of him in his battle gear... bwahahaha!

The site DOES load faster!!! WHOA!!!! Lol, looks great! I enjoy your new site as well!

Uhm, Oh! I ordered the templat I'm using for our main charectors CG from GW yesterday night, i should have it tommorow. I'll post pics as soon as I get him built and converted to our cause :P

Man, you still with use? Hows the Marine Walk cycle wip comming?

Also, I was contacted by a Sound Engineer today, I gave him an open invitation, telling him we're sort of on hiatus until we get our script. I've been emailing Benork like mad, no word. I firmly beleive hes out of the country on one of his "mad work escipades"

hehehehe, its way to late here.... i should go home.

oh yeah, its my birthday tomorrow for anyone that cares. yay for me, i've beaten my record for consecutive years spent alive.

Joy.

-Me

softdistortion
10-17-2003, 06:33 AM
Thanks! It's nice to be appreciated. ;)

Benork
10-20-2003, 09:48 AM
Firstly, happy birthday Benson.

Soft, your right man there are now 736 scenes.... what have i done???!?!??!?! :eek:

No, fortunatly there are still 10 scenes, the bad news is that I have had little time to work on them as I have been out of the country working like mad, as Benson rightly said.

The website looks awesome. I am very impressed. No crits at all, its a great site.

Seems we are getting quite alot more interest. An emmy winner helping us? :D Good stuff.

Nice artwork Benson. Hopefully once I post more of the script you'll be able to create alot more :thumbsup:

I love my website title 'Project Strategist'. Nice one :thumbsup:. Could you remove the question mark by the 'film maker' bit please.

It costs very little to get a domain and I think having a proper .com address really adds to the professionalism, but www.templars.com is already taken! I have a few alternative suggestions:

www.templarsfilm.com
www.templarsthemovie.com
www.templarsonline.com
www.templarsmovie.com

But I don't want to register anything without consulting you guys first, so what to you think?

I will work more on the script today, once the first draft is complete I will show you guys.

I'll be on msn all day today so say hi if you see me.

Ben

softdistortion
10-20-2003, 01:50 PM
Hey Benork! Glad you're back. You scared me for a sec with the 736 scenes....:eek:

Glad you like the website. Wasn't sure about everyones resume, so that's why there is a ? on filmaker. I'll take it off! :-)

I agree with you suggestion of getting a proper Domain. Any you suggested are fine, shorter the better I would think. WC should have the final say on it.

Benork
10-20-2003, 02:11 PM
Heh, well there are still only 10 scenes, at the moment, 6 of which are pretty much finished. I aim to get the rest finished by this evening.

softdistortion
10-20-2003, 02:13 PM
K, log on MSN if you're still there.

Re website members...Is it just 3 people now? Murnau gone? MIA?? :-)

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 04:33 PM
Actually, it was 2 Emmy's :beer:

Great to here from you benork, i'll be posting the head-turn around tonight, and hopefully the 3 pages of conceptual art I've got for Jaegar as well.

as far as a domain, i www.templarsthemovie.com sounds fine to me, but everyone knows us as the templars project, why not www.thetemplarsproject.com?

just a thought...

SD, i'll send you my resume if you really want it :P ;)

Oh! i get the funding for my server on the 27th, so it will be up, its just a matter of time.

hopefully i'll be able to communicate more once i have access to msn :(

Updates Later!
Benson

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 04:35 PM
hey SD, just noticed something on the site, when your on the templars.php page, the dreadnought is in front of the grey bar, and when you go to members, the dread moves behind the grey bar... i dont know if you ment for that to be like that, but yeah...
also, "man" (i still dont know how to spell his name) is still working on some stuff for me, as of a week ago. i'll check up on him.

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 04:40 PM
Oh, SoftDistortion, i got a assignment for you, if your interested. I got permission from the great guys working on the Short Film: Space Hulk to use their models as examples for Templars modellers. If you want to start playing around with modelling, i've got some ref images for you.

Benson/WC

Benork
10-20-2003, 09:15 PM
Damn MSN has been playing up all day. I'm on now though if you guys want to chat.

I look forward to your next post Benson :D

Can you give me a link for the Space Hulk short film?

softdistortion
10-20-2003, 10:04 PM
The infront/ behind thing was supposed to be like that to hilite the members info. I know it's not perfect though. I was thinking maybe the grey bar has to go behind the dreadnaught. I'll mess with it next time i do a news update.

post or send the link to spacehulk....BTW, any way we can get some models from them? Cross collab? You could offer them a new flash page if that helps. :-)

Benork
10-20-2003, 10:11 PM
My vote goes for www.templarsthemovie.com

I think its got a nice ring to it ;)

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 10:17 PM
alright, i just didnt know, thought id ask.

about the cross colab, i could ask, but i'm slightly paranoid of legallity issues, eg, if GW some reason deciedes they dont want the space hulk colab published, we would be dragged into it, and visa versa. not likely, but you never know.

heres the link to the space hulk thread:

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33237&highlight=space+hulk

here are some snipits:

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 10:23 PM
here are some examples...

NOTE: Copyrights belong to their respective owners, and in no way is challenged by Wicked_Chicken, or any other member of the Templars Project Team.
For the owners thread, go Here... (http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33237&highlight=space+hulk)

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/chapelinebig.jpg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/termit_acsmall.jpg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/termit_lcsmall.jpg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/testwnetrza_web.jpg

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 10:30 PM
Note, there are a few things I dont like about these particular examples, and no disrespect is being issued to the Space Hulk team, their doing a great job on their film...

Firstly, the armour looks like is has grain, if you will, i feel this meakes the system look static.

Secondly, our armou systems (the main ones anyway) will not be using helmets, as our charectors are real time...

other than that, i really ac cn crit much.. certain parts of the armour arnt believable in my mind, such as the feet, which look far to small, or flat...

your welcome to throw your own bits an peices into this, as styles is representin your artistic scale. i personally vision the claw (real name, lightning claw) to be a lovechild mix between wolverine's claws and lightsabers. but thats just me.

any comments or ideas?

Thanks again to the Space Hulk leaders for use of your pics!!!

Benork
10-20-2003, 10:37 PM
Very nice models, though as Benson said, not quite the same feel we are aiming for.

Benson if you could come on MSN to discuss the script it would be much appreciated. If I don't get a chance to chat with you I will e-mail you with the script as it currently is :)

so www.templarsthemovie.com?

If so ill register it now.....

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 10:44 PM
hey Benork, i just sent you a PM... anyway... I'm at the school labs, and i cant (to my knowledge) use msn anymore. I'll see if i can break through the restrictions, but I can't make any promises.

if you want. im fine with the following
www.templarsthemovie.com
www.thetemplarsmovie.com
www.thetemplarsproject.com

you can choose, as your being kind enough to register the domain name :D

Benork
10-20-2003, 10:52 PM
Ok well it doesn't cost much so for now I think we should go for www.templarsthemovie.com

Mainly because alot of films have websites ending in themovie.com so it should be more memorable, at least thats my theory.

We can always register a different one later down the line anyway :D

I'll check my pm.

Fair enough if you can't get on, im gonna hit the sack in about 10 minutes anyway, its nearly midnight here and im up early tomorrow.

Wicked_Chicken
10-20-2003, 10:56 PM
Alright, thats good to know. I think your what, 9 hours ahead of me? (it's 3 here, +7=10+2=9, right?)

Anyway, how long are you planning on being contactable? (Lol, is that a word?) Also, shoot me a copy of the script when you get time, even if it's not complete, I'd love to get a sneek peek PD

Thanks,
Benson

Benork
10-20-2003, 10:59 PM
Check your pm and your inbox ;)

I should be going to France before the end of the week. I'll let you know whats happening though.

Talk to you all soon.

Ben

Wicked_Chicken
10-21-2003, 03:20 AM
UPDATE: I've recieved the first build of the script, though its only the first half or so. i've begun minor grammor changes, as well as some additions which i feel will bring out some of the universe, as well as some depth to the charectors. i'll take a copy home and work on it tonight.

If anyone has any questions or concerns of late, now is the time to ask, as we have full team contact...

Later!
Benson

softdistortion
10-21-2003, 07:01 AM
can I see that walk cycle? :-)

Also, it might be a good idea to start planning how these scenes will be animated. Benork has started with some great concepts and I hate to limit the script due to production considerations. But it may end up being near impossible to create these scenes, let alone keep high prod. values unless we start to consider how we could implement some "imaginative" restriction once we get to the story boarding. just a thought....:D

Benork
10-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Grammor changes? lol, trust me when I say its no where near finished ;) It will be grammatically sound once complete ;)

As I said to soft, I don't limit myself when I'm writing the story, alot of supposedly expensive shots can be achieved without a hefty budget with a bit of imagination in my experience. :thumbsup:

Still not sure if im going to France or not, should know today.

Talk to you guys later

jdsb
10-21-2003, 01:46 PM
hey wicked,
this is jawahardeepsing,i received your email.currently reading thorugh your thread,count me in,:beer: :)

Wicked_Chicken
10-21-2003, 03:03 PM
Everyone, this is jdsb, otherwise known as jawahardeepsing

(All)

Hi jawahardeepsing!

(Jawa)

Hi!

I guess if you've been reading the thread, you sorta know where we are. Feel free to post links to your work jawa, as I think everyone will be as impressed as I am :D

Benson

softdistortion
10-23-2003, 01:20 AM
hi to Jawa !

small tweaks and news update to templar pages

page (http://www.softdistortion.com/templars.php)

Wicked_Chicken
10-23-2003, 02:13 AM
UPDATE FROM ME:

Funding for the server hits me on the 27th. YAY! MONEY!!!

Ehem. Oh, on a serious note.

I've been engrossed in Benorks script, It so far. I'll be (With Benorks permission) be posting some tid-bits to keep you all at bay. Bwahahahahahaha!!!!!!

@SoftDistortion, looks great!

Heres the first tid-bit!

Explosions rip through the foul flesh of vile heretics as the Death wind pods shred the surrounding masses into little more than scraps. Shells glisten in the crimson red sky, glimmering gold against the blood stained ground. The muzzle flashes and screams are noticeable for kilometres around.

Survivors are few and far between, those blessed by the blasphemous gods cry out, and as the first of the landing party disembarks, they answer...

Dododoooooo!

Man, where are you? Hows that walk cycle going?

-WC out:buttrock:

Wicked_Chicken
10-23-2003, 04:32 AM
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/jaegarturnjpg.jpg

heres a turn around of the fig i'm using... just thought you may want a look...

Benork
10-23-2003, 02:01 PM
Hi Jawa, welcome on board :thumbsup:

Soft thats very poetic, I like your style. I look forward to seeing what you have done with the first half of the script.

Before you post bits of the script I would like to discuss it with you on MSN.

Talk to you all later

Ben

softdistortion
10-23-2003, 02:25 PM
:-) ....Benson and I are one!? Vivid imagery WC.

Once it's decided on what we want to relese to public (from the script), let me know so I can put it up on a page for promo material. Also we should keep posting some here to build interest and generate more team members.

*over*

Wicked_Chicken
10-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Lol SD, lol...

Thanks. I'm a poetic guy I guess... oh well. :P

Benork, no problem. I just thought I'd throw that out, as it was something I added in. I'll retract that portion of my post if you want.

Feel free to drop me a line.

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
10-23-2003, 05:56 PM
Lol SD, lol...

Thanks. I'm a poetic guy I guess... oh well. :P

Benork, no problem. I just thought I'd throw that out, as it was something I added in. I'll retract that portion of my post if you want.

Feel free to drop me a line.

Benson

Benork
10-23-2003, 06:58 PM
Got the revision Benson, great stuff. I'm going through it now. I like most of the changes you have made.

I should be on msn soon.

Wicked_Chicken
10-23-2003, 07:23 PM
Glad to here it Benork! Email me any ideas you have. I still dont have msn here at school.

Benork
10-23-2003, 07:50 PM
Ok well I have made a few changes. Tell you what I'll write you a quick PM to discuss it more.

Wicked_Chicken
10-23-2003, 08:39 PM
Check your PM's. Cant wait to see what you got for me :D

Wicked_Chicken
10-24-2003, 12:53 AM
Got the 2nd Revision from Benork today. Looks great! At this rate we should have a finished script very soon!

Wicked_Chicken
10-25-2003, 06:11 PM
ALL TEAM MEMBERS CHECK YOUR EMAIL FOR TEMPLARS TEAM UPDATE V2!!!

IF YOU DID NOT RECIEVE A COPY, I DON'T HAVE YOUR EMAIL! LET ME KNOW SO I CAN FIX IT!

-BENSON:thumbsup:

Benork
10-27-2003, 04:29 PM
Great update Benson :D

I've reviewed the script a little more and i'll add my feedback later as promised. Might write some more and make a few minor alterations but its looking pretty damned good :D

Im off for a bit now but I should be online later tonight.

Wicked_Chicken
10-27-2003, 08:25 PM
Revision 4 is complete. benork, check your mail. I'm still waiting to make sure this team is alive!!!:eek: :surprised

softdistortion
10-27-2003, 11:32 PM
ALIVE! :cool:

Wicked_Chicken
10-28-2003, 08:04 PM
hehehe SD, what you been up to?

zionlocke
10-28-2003, 10:23 PM
wicked! this project will turn out to be pretty cool stuff! I can't wait to see the final movie! Keep up the excellent work. I hope your servers are up now so you can get done sooner!

I love the idea :beer:

Benork
10-29-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the support Zion. I hope you enjoy it when its completed, but don't forget its a while off yet.

Are you familiar with Warhammer 40,000 and the setting at all?

Our main site and servers should be up soon. Keep checking back for updates.

Good luck with learning 3D, its hard, but very much worth it :thumbsup:

Wicked_Chicken
10-29-2003, 07:51 PM
LOL ZIONLOCKE!!!:applause:

you can be our groupie if you want!!!:buttrock:

hahahaha, no, just kidding, but hey, it WOULD be funny!

5th Script build is dont, Benork, check your mail!:thumbsup:

Benork
10-29-2003, 11:54 PM
Checking now :thumbsup:

I can see myself being up all night trying to integrate both our 5th versions as I did one too. lol

Wicked_Chicken
10-30-2003, 06:30 PM
Played with some new programs today. Mainly combustion 2.1 Here's what i got after roughly 2 hours of playing around. it's not really good. in fact, its rather bad, but hey, i gotta start somewhere.

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/bfxfinishedsmall.mov

it's like 300ks, nothing too big. Lemme know what needs work. it looks pretty shitty, the compression took it down from 300megs to 300k's... lol.

Benork, hows the script?

Benson:beer:

EDIT: Heres a great arch. thread I thought you all might want to check out. Just a thought.

http://www.cgtalk.com/showthread.php?threadid=96348

Benork
10-30-2003, 07:07 PM
First 4 scenes totally re-drafted. The story is still pretty much exactly the same with a few refinements. It's looking alot better now.

Working on Scene 5 now.

Was up till near enough 4am on it last night..... Must be insane.

As you are the resident Templars expert can you answer the following:
1) What is the name of the Grand Master of the Templars? (As in Marneus Calgar is the Grand Master of the Ultramarines)
2) What is the name of the Templars homeworld?
3) What kind of landscape is it? I was thinking snow covered plains would look quite nice....
4) I think we give Jaeger 1/3rd of the Templars fleet. What dya think?

There is a heirarchy of the Ultramarines Chapter at the back of Codex: Spacemarines. Is it similar to the structure of the Templars? Cos i've been using it as a rough guide.

Benork
10-30-2003, 08:18 PM
Ok I have been thinking about a space battle sequence, so it occured to me to work out what kind of battle forces Jaeger should have....

According to the appendix of the Codex: Space Marines, there are two major craft used by Space Marines.

Battle Barges are awesome behemoths, used for planetary assaults. A chapter would probably have 3. They can carry up to 3 entire companies plus assortments of vessals (Thunderhawks) and drop pods.

Strike Craft, are more common (Ultramarines have 8 for example) and can carry a single company. (no mention of whether or not they can carry Thunderhawks).

This could be another option to give Jaeger.

Sample forces we could use:

Large scale: Battle Barge, 2 Strike Craft, 4 Rapid Strike Vessels, 12 Thunderhawks. 3 Companies.

Lower scale: 1 Strike Craft, 2 Rapid Strike Vessels and 6 Thunderhawks. 1 Company.

I think I have a full listing of the Battle Fleet Gothic Space Marine forces in an old White Dwarf which I will attempt to dig up.

Of course then we have to work out what the Templars send as a follow up force as well as the Chaos forces.....

I realise that some people will not be able to make much sense of the above. Trust me that on screen it will all make sense, we are just talking fan jargon for ease of communication. :)

Ben

Benork
10-30-2003, 09:12 PM
Ok having dug out Codex: Armageddon and read through it I can see I was way off the mark....

Therefore the leader of the Black Templars is a High Marshall and Jaeger would be a Marshall. Surely though he would have free reign to decide what he wants to do with his battle force.

I don't want to give away any spoilers so I will e-mail my next idea to you....

So Jaeger could be Marshall of a crusade of Marines. A I quote 'The Black Templars are a fleet-based Chapter, with many battle barges, strike cruisers and other craft' so lets use the larger task force ;)

Also we can use a snowy location (which will contrast nicely with the armour) as the Chapter Keep Jaeger is currently based in.

As an idea lets say we give Jaeger the following:

1 Battle Barge
3 Strike Cruisers
8 Thunderhawks

Jaeger
1 Chaplain
1 Apothecary
1 Standard Bearer
6 Tactical Squads
2 Assault Squads
2 Neophyte Squads
1 Devastator Squad
2 Terminator Squad
1 Scout Squad
3 Dreadnoughts
10 Rhinos
5 Preadator Crusadors
3 Land Speeders Tornadoes
2 Land Speeder Typhoons
18 Bikes
2 Attack Bikes

This gives us a total of:

12 Space Vessels
144 Fighting Men
30 Vehicules

How does that sound?

Wicked_Chicken
10-31-2003, 02:54 PM
Hehehehe, yeah, way off.

Firstly, The Black Templars are genetic descendents of the seed from the Imperial Fists. The only other Company to use the IF seed is the Crimson Fists.

Templars are fleet based. Near the standard company layout your are using as a rough is a description of the diffrent class ships. I suggest you read Fortress Monastary, as it is what Templars are known for. Templars are fleet based, though they do ofter have monestaries and recruitment facilities planetside.

Also, I'll do some research. I know Thunderhawks are the smallest strike craft Space Marines have (Other than the Landspeeder and it's variants, the Tornado, Typhoon, and Hurricane)

You'd have to get into Battlefleet Gothic material to find out how many each cruiser has.

About the army list. Templar assault squads and tactical squads are for the most part the same. The only diffrence I can think of is the optional jumppacks.

Also, you may want to read the Armegeddon army list. You'll see Templars have a few interesting rules, eg. mixed armour. Also, Templars have no Devestator Squads. Neophytes and scouts are the same thing.

Also, Templar forces arn't restricted to Templar's. They are commonly made up of space marines that have lost the majority of their chapter, and/or got seperated from the fleet. This means we could realistically have a few reg-tag groups withing the army.

A few other notes. Templar scouts/neophytes can only either have shotguns or pistol/chainsword. Templar tactical squads can have either bolters (machine guns) or pistol and chainsword. due to the lack of devestator squads, tactical squads can also have a single heavy weapon, though these are rare.

Just what i saw off hand :D i'm back in utah (after 12 hours of driving) and i'll get the bible again for refernance.

later!:beer:

Wicked_Chicken
10-31-2003, 03:11 PM
oh, about the grand master, it's in the codex:space marines in the back somewhere. it has a list of the first founding chapters. look for the Imperial Fists. I think its lionell or something like that...

Wicked_Chicken
11-01-2003, 07:33 AM
Alright, heres whats going on. I've re-established my Trillian system, so if anyone wants to get ahold of me, heres the info.

AIM: hellfirespector
MSN: wickedchickenstudios
Y!: zorr57

Benork
11-01-2003, 04:50 PM
Ok I think i've taken most of that on board.

The Battle Fleet Gothic game does not list the space marine ships, but simply Imperial ships. I am sure I remember seeing a seperate listing for Space Marines in White Dwarf. Next time I get the change I'll ask in my local GW.

No Lion El' Johnson was the Primarch for the Dark Angels. Rogal Dorn is the Imperial Fist Primarch, that aside I am after the name of the Grand Master, not the primarch anyway heh.

The difference between the two.

Primarch= Founder of chapter, all 20 Primarchs are now reportedly dead. i.e. The Ultramarines Primarch was Roboute Gilliman.

Grand Master= Current leader of a Chapter. i.e. The Ultramarines Grand Master is Marneus Calgar.

So I would like the name of the Grand Master (in this case High Marshall) of the Black Templars ;)

I can see a few discrepencies in the script now that I know the ful story of the Chapter. Some things make alot less sense than they should, but I'll try and give some time to it and sort it out. It may end up loosing a few scenes though (soft faints ;))

Benork
11-01-2003, 06:13 PM
Typical really, you think you've got a little free time, but oh no. Gotta go off and do some more location work for the BBC again.

:buttrock:

Don't worry though I don't think its an overly busy scedule this time so I should have enough time to keep working on this. I'll be taking all my script notes with me (which are starting to pile up).

I'm heading off Monday night (depending on when I can get a flight), but I have some things to do over the next couple of days. After tonight I'll be around alot less for up to a month.

It's a shame really as i was hoping to dedicate the next couple of days to getting a draft of the script finished, but I will do as much as I can before I go and then once I'm there time permitting.

Wicked_Chicken
11-02-2003, 08:05 AM
hey everyone, I had some tid-bits I thought everyone should know about.

Firstly, I just ordered my Camcorder. I've got a Canon Xl1s on the way. I'm going to play with it for the next bit, and hopefully I'll sell myself on a Steadycam.

An the same not, I had a great Idea on shooting tricks to avoid a few scale issues. If anyone is interested, please let me know!

Script is still being worked! I will let everyone know when we get it beta done!

Sorry for the delays all, hopefully Benork and myself can finish this and give you all something to do.

Benson

Benork
11-02-2003, 09:10 AM
Yep the script should be done pretty soon, at least a finished draft. That should really launch the project forwards alot and we will really know where we stand :thumbsup:

Awesome camera. Please show us these tricks you have learnt. I know a pretty clever one myself, I managed to baffle most of my class by making myself hobbit height whilst another class mate and I had a conversation. It was funny too see peoples reactions lol...

How was the drive?

Wicked_Chicken
11-02-2003, 09:17 AM
damnit benork, quit calling my bluffs :P

it wasnt really a trick, just the use of stilts. i'd like to know the hobbit one, as i got sick of trying to figure it out meself.

the drive was alright, long at best. I didnt go slower than 80 for probably half the trip :D

i'm online benork, lets chat!

-Benson

EDIT: Is it just me, or can I not spell?

Benork
11-02-2003, 09:22 AM
The hobbit one isn't as hard as it looks. All the info you need is on the Lord of the Rings Special Edition DVD.

When I did it it wasn't perfect, but it sure did through people at first as I shrunk to half my normal height. No SFX involved.

softdistortion
11-02-2003, 07:28 PM
WC. I could not get the clip to play????
Also.....Is there a readers digest version, to understanding the codex stuff you guys are talking about? :-)
Nice camera!

Benork- How many vehicles...characters...you say????
:surprised

Wicked_Chicken
11-02-2003, 11:35 PM
Lol SD, theres not a light version, but if you have any questions, I'd be more than happy to explain them. I'm on msn almost all the time now that I'm home and settled in.

I highly doupt we'll have to modle all of those. we can always clone :P besides, vehicles are easy compared to people. I'm going to see if I can find out how much a real medievil armour suit would cost to make, as i know a few guys in my area make them. I know its not quite the same, but yeah...

Wicked_Chicken
11-03-2003, 12:19 AM
Hey SD, if you can, would you like to start playing around with some models? i'd like to see if we can't get the ball rolling.

:wavey:

Whew. Just had a run in with the Ebay Police. I love ebay. If theres one thing they are really good at, its saving me money... and being great about hackers, and intercepting them... and yeah...

GO EBAY!

Wicked_Chicken
11-03-2003, 04:03 AM
Oh benork, I totally missed one of your posts!!! Sorry mate!

During the 3rd Armeggedon War, the High marshel was High Marshel Helbrecht. That was nearly 2 years ago, but hey, whats two years in the eyes of the Imperium?

As far as Marine Ships, there is a additional book, I think called Warp Storm, that has all the fleets in it. It would be a great resource

SD, it's quicktime 6 (i think) try updating quicktime. also, you may need to open it in quicktime, instead of IE.

Wicked_Chicken
11-03-2003, 09:57 PM
I really didn't want to do this, but after continuing emails and deliberation, Man is to be cut from the effective team as of today, the 3rd of November.

Man, if you have anything to say and or show me that might affect this decision, you had better email me asap. I'm not going to carry dead wieght. If you've been so busy working with school, or whatever, tell me. Otherwise, unless your dead, there really isnt an excuse why you can't email me.

Thank you.

Benson
:shame:

softdistortion
11-03-2003, 10:17 PM
You mean your cutting Murnau? Not Murnau.....:scream:

I'll try to take some time to do a model.

Wicked_Chicken
11-03-2003, 10:58 PM
Sorry SD, nothing personal:shrug:

One a really positive note, Producer Jesse Lafferty has signed on!

Thanks Sd, I think if we can get models out to spark interest, we can speed things up :D

Thanks again all,
Benson

softdistortion
11-04-2003, 05:11 PM
we need murnau...come back Murnau...:scream:

http://softdistortion.com/templar.jpg

Quick model> crappiness disguised by quick mangling in PS. :surprised

softdistortion
11-04-2003, 11:38 PM
Felt so sorry for you I whipped out another mangled render for you. Hope things work out with the Camera.

http://softdistortion.com/templar2.jpg

Wicked_Chicken
11-04-2003, 11:46 PM
Today has been a day to end all days. I have never felt so depressed and unmotivated towards anything. I can't effectivly work on the project, as i dont know where the script is, I cant shoot any footage, because ebay is going to screw me, and I no longer have what little funding I had for the project.

This is royally depressing guys. Soft, thanks for the thought, but I don't want anyone to feel bad for me; it's my own damn fault, and it looks like i'm going to pay dearly for it. I e-mailed the seller, and gave him 24 hours to give me a legit tracking number. If nothing happens, I'm going to report him to Safeharbor and the IFCC.

I have just sunk the ship as far as I'm concerned. Benork, i hope you have a finished script when you get back. I'm going to have to fight so hard to nail this guy and I don't have a cue as to how it's going to happen.

Thanks all.

:blush:

Wicked_Chicken
11-06-2003, 05:42 PM
Well, it's been a few days and I'm not quite as depressed as I once was. I've gotten alot my my initial complaints done requarding the eBay issue. Hopefully I'll get lucky and my camera will show up.

On another note, Jesse has been looking at the script, and althought the version he has is a bit old (my version 5 is missing...) i'm eager to hear what he has to say.

SD has been working on a model (I think) I'd like to see more on that as well.

Benork is still OoC, but hopefully he'll have time to drop me a line and tell me how things are going.

Thanks all!:thumbsup:

Benson

Benork
11-06-2003, 06:44 PM
Ok heres the line and its a quick one. Things are going really well, but im really really busy at the moment, jumped in at the deep end (i was working less than 5 minutes after i arrived and finished on the first day at 10:30pm to give you some idea).

When i have time I will work on the script, but please be patient.

Sorry about all the e-bay trouble, hope things get resolved.

Ben

Benork
11-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Oh and quickly one last thing, great that Jesse has signed on, big welcome from me :D

What exactly are you going to do for the project?

Wicked_Chicken
11-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Sorry Benork, Now i feel like an arse. Wasnt trying to say you werent busy.:shrug:

jesse has volunteered to help bring other resources into the project. i'll forward the email to you asap.

thanks Benork! dont forget to have some FUN!!! (you know, the stuff you like to do?)

softdistortion
11-06-2003, 11:11 PM
Plasma burn....OUCH!

http://softdistortion.com/templarflamer3.jpg

Been busy too....soooooo, antialiasing is set off for quicker render, excuse the jaggies. :-)

softdistortion
11-07-2003, 04:12 AM
another scorching blast.

http://softdistortion.com/templarflamer1.jpg

and again...
http://softdistortion.com/templarflamer4.jpg

Wicked_Chicken
11-07-2003, 04:35 AM
Hey Sd, looking pretty snazy. Are you suing anything for refererence? I looks close, but something seems a bit off. I'll include some pics for reference.

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/mk4dreada1.jpeg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/mk4dreada2.jpeg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/mk4dreada3.jpeg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/mk4dreada4.jpeg

NOTE: These Images are taken directly from Forge World's Online Catologue. No claims or challenges towards Forge World or Games Workshop are being made.

softdistortion
11-07-2003, 04:56 AM
Thanks WC. I used the templar image on our templars webpage (http://www.softdistortion.com/templars.php) as a "rough" reference. But, since we're doing a public access clip, and not simply a warhammer fan film....(we aren't making a warhammer fan film, right?) I took some liberties with the rest. :shrug:

Anyway, doesn't matter...seems someone hacked my site. :hmm:
All images are down for now.

BTW, did things work out with the camera?

Wicked_Chicken
11-08-2003, 05:07 AM
That seriously sucks about your site man, hope you get it solved. Heres where I am about the film. Its based in the warhammer universe. to me that means we stick to games workshop designs (because frankly, if we take to many liberties, we'll get sued) personally, i want to stick to all the GW designs, for a few reasons. firstly, because anyone who sees it, then checks out gw, its going to think we're slackers who did want to do accurate models, secondly, because all the people who DO know the game are going to REALLY think we're slackers, because they know what stuff should look like, and thirdly, because i dont want to have any issues with GW. If we try and change things, its thier right to sue us (namely me) because the universe is theirs, and the models represented (poorly) arnt.

frankly, its cosmetic. all the gw stuff is for the most part solved mechanically, and its easy to get examples of just about everything. to me, it would be a serious shortcomming of talent to chop it out. as far as the story goes, its simple. really simple. anyone who can understand harry potter will get it. strip it of the GW exteriour, and its simple. (honest, i mean, im no brain doctor, it has to be!)

SD, i dont want you to feel i'm trying to oppress your style. i REALLY dont mean to. i dont want you to think im a nazi either, im just trying to make this enjoyable for everyone, fans or not. fans will hate it if we dont do GW justice (as will GW) anyone who does ANY research will also be very unhappy, but thats just what i think.

EDIT: oh, about the camera. I got screwed. Well, more approprietly, ****ed up the ass with a splinter-ridden rod.
Dont worry, i've got people all over. I'm going to break this guys kneecaps when I find him.

Until then: Cheers!:wip:

Keiyentai
11-09-2003, 07:11 PM
Ack. I hope you do find that guy. I have been screwed by e-bay too but when I tryed to nail them they where alread screwed blued and Tattooed (I got a cheap comp when I was suppose to get a nice gaming comp) by 8 class action lawsuits so ya. Break his KNEES!!!! Snap then in the shards! Go Tonya Harding on him!!! Anywho I hope your project goes well I am trying to get mine going though I dont know whats going on. I have been watching this thread since day one and it's coming along well. Good luck man.

Wicked_Chicken
11-10-2003, 04:54 AM
Thanks Keiyentai
I've had some luck, but nothing huge. I've got yahoo and his ISP on my contact list. I need a court order for yahoo, which is going to be the biggie. Tomorrow is the deadline i received from the police, if nothing shows up, its hunting season.

Keiyentai
11-11-2003, 12:12 AM
Hehehehhe in the words of Duke Nukem "It's time to Kick ass and chew bubble gum, and I'm all out of gum" hehehehe I hope you nail him man.

Wicked_Chicken
11-11-2003, 12:28 AM
Duke... old school man...

Hey SD, can you drop me an email? I feel like I may have hurt your feelings, or otherwise offended you, please let me know if this is the case.

Thanks
Benson:shrug: :surprised

softdistortion
11-11-2003, 01:55 AM
Hey WC.
I had my hands full getting the site up after it was down most of the weekend.
As far as your comments, I have been thinking about it. I can see your point about people who know the game being dissapointed by a less than accurate depiction.

Wicked_Chicken
11-12-2003, 04:22 AM
Hey SD, i showed your dread to few friends, they liked it, especially the plasma job!

Also, we may have a new modeller. More on this later.

Benson

Benork, hows work? Sleept lately:wavey:

Lol

Benork
11-12-2003, 07:34 PM
Still here, working an average of 12 hours a day, ill with flu through lack of sleep.

I have tomorrow off.

Talk to u all soon :beer:

Wicked_Chicken
11-13-2003, 01:33 AM
eek, the flu eh? thats mighty unpleasent. Hope for your fast recovery!

can't wait to hear from you,
benson:bounce:

cyroz2000
11-13-2003, 01:44 PM
Hi guys, I've been contacted by Benson to join the party :bounce:
started yesterday to model the dreadnought,
I think it's time to show something...
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/DN01.jpg
more to come..... :wip:
See you!

Wicked_Chicken
11-13-2003, 09:03 PM
:eek:

What can I say? Looking great. Can't wait to see more :D

Benson (I had to type my name 8 times, I'm so excited!)

PS: Can you rig as well??? :bowdown:

Wicked_Chicken
11-13-2003, 09:03 PM
! Emp.

Douple Post

cyroz2000
11-14-2003, 05:02 PM
Hi ,
still working on the legs.... :wip:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/DN02.jpg

ps:Benson,
of course I can rig it, at least I think so, but as I work in lightwave, if you want to "centralize" the files in the whatever app
you use, the rig will have to be done again, no? Anyway, it's modelling time, we will see later....

See ya!

Wicked_Chicken
11-14-2003, 08:13 PM
Lol, i figured it was a stupid question. Have you seen Greyson's dread animation? It's really quite amazing. I do have a question about rigging. It looks like you have servo's on the outside of the crotch area, shouldnt there be servos on the reverse side of that as well?

I didnt do a good job of describing that, I'll hop into PS and show you where I mean.

Looking great. I dont think we'll have to worry about standardizing our models. Both you and SD are using lightwave (If memory serves correct)

I'd like to play around with texturing, if thats possible. Let me know what you think. I don't know if LW can use Bumbmaps. but I'm sure I can work something out :P

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
11-14-2003, 08:57 PM
Here's a diffrent torso from the GW/Forge World Catologue. A bit more of the traditional, but much more gothic IMO.

I'll include some picks of different weapons as well.

If anyones feeling godly:

http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/thunder1.htm
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/thunder2.htm
http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/assaultdrop.htm

hehehe, Here are the weapons:

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/heavyboltersst.jpeg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/lascannonst.jpeg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/plasmacannonst.jpeg
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/multimeltast.jpeg

softdistortion
11-14-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Wicked_Chicken
Hey SD, i showed your dread to few friends, they liked it, especially the plasma job!
Lol

Thanks! I've been away for a couple days, but am back for the weekend.
Welcome on board cyroz2000.... NICE WORK on the model. Very detailed stuff!
I'll try to add you to the Templars Team ASAP.>>> Sad to loose Murnau though. Hope he is still alive after his sudden dissapearance.:cry:

WC, Just curious if we need as much detail as cyroz2000 is working out. No crit on his model, He has way more patience than I do ;) ..... However, I Seem to remember reading your original concept and it called for upper body only? I know you know this, and I have no intention of complaining about Benork with this next comment, but we really need more script....storyboard info before we spend time modelling details that are non essential.
I'm waiting for more info before I do anymore updates to my model. I mainly started that mech and FXs in response to your comment about getting some images up to get more people interested and onboard the team. Also, I have to say, I think our concepts are going to clash over the mech design. I was working with the idea of your original storyboard image that had a spacesuited character. I was planning on that suited character being inside the modified mech I modelled.
It may be moot anyway, since it seems cyroz2000 is modelling more in line with your Warhammer theme.
I'm not jumping ship, just waiting for some more info before doing more work.
I could try texturing cyroz2000's model and add FX if he and you want me to.
:)

*Benork- hope your feeling better fast!;)

PS: I'll try to have the Templars page updated tonite. (http://softdistortion.com/templars.php) You may have to clear your browsers cache file to get the update flash to load.

Wicked_Chicken
11-14-2003, 10:48 PM
SD, check your email. I tried to respond here, but CGTALK ate my post :cry:

Wicked_Chicken
11-15-2003, 07:27 AM
Got bored, colored the dreadnought leg render. Lol. Thought you all might wanna peek.

Pretty simple PS job, a black layer at a mid opacity with a mask for the details. The real job should look much more realistic indeed.
Enjoy!

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/dreadlegcolor.jpg

cyroz2000
11-15-2003, 11:32 AM
hey WC,
thx for the comments, but I really don't understand by "servo" and "crotch area", I sorry but my english is so baaaaaad! :blush:
So, if you could explain a bit more.....

SD, thank you for your kind words :beer:
I totally agree with you about the details, if it's not necessary.....
But the fact is I enjoy modelling this way, really!
I know you're in the project for a long time now, and I don't want you to give up things cause I started to model the Dnought...
When I joined, the thread was about 11 pages, and I didn't read them all (I tried but didn't understand everything), as I saw the ref pics WC posted, I launched Lightwave and started to model.
By the way, I also started to model a terminator (space suit), before seeing any ref pic, for now, I don't know what to do....
I DON'T WANT TO TAKE YOUR PLACE!
So should I continue on the dread, or work on the space marine....
I think we could collaborate on the dread, and make it more accurate with the refs, or I could send you my files and let you continue, I don't care!
So I'll wait for more info too, and I really wish we could work togerther! :beer:

cyroz2000
11-15-2003, 11:41 AM
By the way, WC great color scheme.

Now here is a render of the terminator I started to model, just a start....
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/TERM02.jpg

See you guys!

softdistortion
11-15-2003, 07:22 PM
Heheehe....don't worry about me feeling like you will replace me. I am impressed with your work, and glad you are on the team, so Keep modelling whatever you feel like working on.
I am probably better at FX than modelling anyway, and would be happy to be a fill in . So let me know where I can help you. The fact that we are both on LW will likely facilitate our working together !

Keep up the excellent work:thumbsup:

Wicked_Chicken
11-15-2003, 08:20 PM
cyro:

The Terminator looks great, albiet is the older model. Still, it's great!!!

I can throw up more ref's if you need it. I think I'm going to need to get the Bible again, as it has breakdownds and ect.

Don't worry about your english. No one in their right mind can use proper english :P

All I was trying to say is:

Do you see the little cylindrical things ate number 2? I think we should put those at number 1. If that makes sense...

Lol, I'll illustrate:
http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/DN02.jpg

Hope that makes sense:

Also Cyro, if you look back a bit, there's a turnaround of a terminator (I know, its not great, but it's the best I could do. I'll repost.

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/jaegarturnjpg.jpg

Looking good everyone. One thing, dont worry about modelling the head or helmets of these suits, we wont be needing them :P

Can't wait to see more!
Benson

Wicked_Chicken
11-15-2003, 08:31 PM
:bounce: :bounce: :bounce: :bounce:

I love those things ^^^

Ehem...

Go http://store.us.games-workshop.com/storefront/store.us?do=Odd&odd=NewLayout&_do=List_Models&code=4088&game=3&database=1607&c=4088&imgsize=b (Here)

I like the one in the middle with the cloth/robe between his legs. Makes him appear MUCH more solid.

Benork
11-16-2003, 10:14 AM
Ok feeling pretty much better now, last two days were harsh, I wouldn't wish what I had on anyone.

Cyroz, salut et bienvenu dans l'equipe :thumbsup:

I love what you have done so far, both the dread and the terminator are awesome. I think we want as much detail as possible as we are going for a photorealistic feel, so the more detail the better ;)

We'll worry about rendering times later ;)

This comes in much later but i thought id give it a quick mention. I think it would look great to make our models damaged and beat up, dirty and real. I can't stand armies of perfectly clean Space Marines or Eldar supposedly fighting and looking showroom clean heh. But then again I do collect orks :)

Soft mate, fair comment with the script. I'll try and do something today, but no promises. You are right though the script does need working on big time so I guess I'll just have to make the time.

softdistortion
11-16-2003, 07:35 PM
Hey Benork, Glad you're back among the living. I Wasn't really complaining about lack of script, more or less just responding to the request for updates on our work, and the feeling of being unsure what we are working toward. Maybe the parts of scipt that are nailed down could begin story boarding, so we have a more accurate idea of what we should be working on.

I agree with you on a worn look being essential to the realism.

Unless you are joking about the rendering time comment, I would suggest we do start thinking about polycount seriously, now. Otherwise it will become a time consuming and somewhat discouraging effort later when we start having to strip model detail or see it lost in the action sequences. Depending on the shots we do- Most of the final realism will likely be more dependant on the texturing than the poly details.

Wicked_Chicken
11-16-2003, 08:05 PM
I was wondering, how difficult would it be to do pregressive damage in the appearance of the movie, eg, before war breaks out, have everything you know, sorta nice, then as war continues, have the chiped paint and dents and ect build up. Just an idea. You would only need to skin things twice. Just a thought.

About render times and ect, Heres where I'm at. By the time we need to render, 64 bit rendering systems are going to be fairly cheap. AS far as poly count, lets go with what looks good. It doesnt have to look outrageously detailed, but good. Also, we can devy up counts, or give detail where detail is due. Main elements get more detail, lessers get less, and ect. The only scenes that is going to be difficult (The way the script stands now) is the last on, the dual between Jaegar and Detherius.

Just a thought.

Benson

softdistortion
11-16-2003, 08:15 PM
...we can devy up counts, or give detail where detail is due. Main elements get more detail, lessers get less, and ect.

That's what I'm getting at, we can't do this accurately until we have a solid script/story board of scenes and what exactly is needed. Lighting, DOF, camera shake/blur should also all be considered since these may allow a fairly massive culling of poly/ texture details.

Wicked_Chicken
11-16-2003, 08:22 PM
Ah... lighting. Theres something we havent touched on at all.

I'm on msn, if anyone wants to chat (I know I'm grizzly and mean and all, but I'm bored :P)

Lol, glad we're thinking alike SD, buy the way, page looks great!

Benork
11-16-2003, 09:02 PM
Hey soft I know you werent complaining man, no worries :D

I was semi joking about the rendering times mate, whislt its something we need to consider, its a way off right now. I'm not gonna worry about detail when we still haven't worked out the overall plan :)

I can't see progressive damage being a problem mate, it shouldn't be too hard to add realistic damage effects to models.

I'll see if me and Benson can work out what to do about the script and getting it sorted.

softdistortion
11-16-2003, 09:42 PM
You seem to know how you want to go about it, so lets see how things go with the script draft/revisions your working on now.

Just please no more mega fight scenes....the animating is gonna kill. ;)

Wicked_Chicken
11-17-2003, 04:43 AM
You know what we need??? We nee donation Pimps!!!

Lol:beer:

So, I've got build 5 of the script from Benork, so writing will continue, in all probability tonight. After reading it, it's become pretty clear we need a compositer. I wish I could say I was up to the job, but I'm not.

So, to make it OFFICIAL!!! WE NEED A COMPOSITER!!!

This sucks, as I was contacted by one before Benork signed on, and now I can find his contact info!!!

AHHHHHHHHH!!!!

cyroz2000
11-17-2003, 08:40 AM
Hi guys, keep going..... :wip:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/dn03.jpg

About polycount, it's about 35k, but I think I have 10-12k just for the skulls, I'll optimize them later....

See ya!

Wicked_Chicken
11-17-2003, 09:01 AM
Goodness man, do you ever sleep???

Looking great. Just a few things I notice, the Upper torso is too small. Much to small actually. Here's another Ref.

(Five minutes later...)

Actually, I can't tell. Lol. It looks to be right, but The Torso is bigger than the legs (If I were to cut it across the waist)

Would you mind posting a few more renders? Looking great. Did you understand what I was talking about about the joints?

On another topic COMPLETLY!!!

I HAVE FINISHED THE SCRIPT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Took me about 3 hours of late night writing, but it's done. I repeat, our first draft is COMPLETED!!!!!!

Man I'm Tired. Benork. There will be a copy in your inbox. Check it over, let me know what needs to be polished.

I'm going to go puke now.:drool:

cyroz2000
11-17-2003, 09:34 AM
hey WC,
yes you're right about the torso, it's a bit too high for the general shape and the central part a little too small, I need to correct that :blush:
Bout the joint, I think the "cinetic" would be much more intersting this way, we'll see later, not a big problem...

See ya!

softdistortion
11-17-2003, 02:35 PM
I'm going to go puke now.:drool:
GOOD WORK! SCRIPT IS DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOONE!!!...............
MEDIC!! :scream:

cyroz2000
11-17-2003, 03:29 PM
:wip: :wip: :wip:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/DN04.jpg

softdistortion
11-17-2003, 03:37 PM
Very well Done Cyroz!:beer:

Wicked_Chicken
11-17-2003, 08:15 PM
Looking great!!! Still looks a bit off, but still, incredible!!!

Benork
11-17-2003, 09:11 PM
Awesome work everyone.

Soft, well done for keeping the site updated, it looks really amazing. Once we get the hosting sorted i know it will attract alot of great publicity.

Cyroz, keep up the good work. I'm very impressed with the model and the speed you have done it :eek: Can't wait to see this finished. The proportions need tweaking, but the model itself is really really amazing :D

Benson, what can i say man. Awesome job getting the script finished so soon. I've read it and I love every part of it. Had me gripped.

My only worry with the dread... is it my imagination or is the face area non standard? It's no big deal in my opinion but i just wondered if it was intentional.... if it is great. The more small individualisms we can cram in the better :)

Next job.... storyboards :surprised

Wicked_Chicken
11-17-2003, 09:33 PM
Benork. The dread is a Forge World conversion, and now that you brought it up, I'm a little worried about people not recognizing it :surprised

It's really up to Cyroz, as he's doing the work. We should have variations, as every one is diffrent.

Thanks for the kind words, mate!

Chow!
Benson

Wicked_Chicken
11-18-2003, 12:17 AM
I've spend the last little bit trying to polish the script, and fill it out where needed. I think it's going to work well.

For all you modellers, I've included a link to Grayson's original firststeps for his dreadnought. His animation and texture's are basically what I'll be comparing our stuff to, because I know what kind of responce he got. So, if we look better than this, we're doing great to go!:thumbsup:

Still looking good. Cyroz, if you need somewhere to host pics, let me know, I'll be glad to help!!! Also, check out this avi, it'll show you alot of the rigging and wieght works.

Thanks Benork for your concern of this issue: It's been resolved:

Check out Grayson's work here:

http://www.3dluvr.com/grayson
http://grayson.cgworks.com/

Wicked_Chicken
11-19-2003, 10:51 PM
Hey everyone. This is Benson. Got to go over some very serious stuff today, so listen up. The following is a list of things we, namely myself and Benork are going to be trying to figure out in the very near future, and we would really like to have everyone's help if at all possible. Some of it may sound really odd, and if you have any questions, let myself or Benork know.

Things to be done.

1. Polish Script
2. Story board
3. Create Bank of Digital Models
4. Funding
5. Team Communications
6. Games Workshop Legality
7. Team Legalites - Work Contracts
8. Casting
9. Choose Broadcasting Format
10. Obtain required equipment and software.
11. Upgraded Website with Forums

1. Polish Script

This is between Benork and Myself, no worries here.

2. Story Board

I'm taking care of this. I have someone lined up, and plan to have this underway before the week is up.

3. Models

Cyroz2000 and SoftDistortion have been working on these. We've got refs posted up just about everywere. If you need ideas, or want something other than what we've asked for, let us know. As long as this progresses steadily, we don't have any problems. Great work so far, both of you.

4. Funding

Not really sure how we're going to get this. Donations would be great, but I assume I'm going to have to be the primary source of funds. If anyone has any ideas of cost cutting measures or income ideas, seriously, let myself and Benork know.

5. Team Communications

I need everyone's contact Info. I have most of yours, Cyro2000, I think you're the only one I'm missing. Regular emails are REALLY important, so we know whats going on within the team.

6. GW Legalities

This is pretty much taken care of to our understanding. We have some question still, and Benork and I will try to take this off the list.

7. Team Legalities / Contracts

Firstly, No one should take offence to this. I don't know why you would, but don't. It's just an Idea at this point. We'd like to somehow assure that work continues and that if someone quits for some reason or another, we don't loose their work with them. If no-one objects to this, we'll throw up a draft.

8. Casting

This is way off in the distance. No worries.

9. Format

This is also way off. We're trying to figure out what our budget is, and if we even have one. More on this later.

10. Software

This is off with format. We're in the process of solving shot problems.

11. Website

SD, this isn't directed towards you at all. As a project, Benork and myself feel we need a site with weekly galleries, forums, news. Something the public can really use. Any Idea's or accepted.

Thats pretty much the list of to-do for everyone. We have a new team member, ^Lele^, a very, VERY smart compositer. Everyone say hi!

If anyone has questions or concerns, let me know!!!

Thanks for all your time!
Benson :p

softdistortion
11-19-2003, 11:07 PM
Hi all! Hi ^Lele^, welcome to the team.

Thanks for laying out some of the strategy for this project.
Just curious, but what is up with that Greyson model? Is he using it for something else? Is there any way you can get it for us?
I can't promise something as sophisticated as that. Maybe Cryzo can do it, he seems to have more patience and ability.

As far as the Templars page i did, whatever you guys decide is fine. I set the page up to front end whatever you might add on but if you want to start fresh that's ok with me.

Wicked_Chicken
11-19-2003, 11:11 PM
Hey SD, ME and Benork are online, join us!

About the grayson model, I've been trying to get ahold of him for MONTHS. I've sent no less than 10 emails asking about it. My bet is i dont have the correct email address, as I used the one one his site. he's working for a company in texas now, and i'm looking into that as well.

thanks!
Benson

Wicked_Chicken
11-19-2003, 11:56 PM
Oh, Sd. If you check out Grayson's site (the 3dluvr one) Theres some info at the bottom, mainly contact info. I'd love to call, but frankly, if he HAS been getting my emails and PM's, he's sick of me. I won't stop you from contacting him (Unofficially, I urge it) But I don't think me calling is a great idea.

-Benson

softdistortion
11-20-2003, 12:04 AM
Toooo. bad. Thanks for your persistance:thumbsup:

Wicked_Chicken
11-20-2003, 12:11 AM
NOOOOO! you just caught me during dinner.

DOH!

Im back

Wicked_Chicken
11-20-2003, 02:17 AM
OMG! You guys would NOT, I repeat, NOT FREAKIN BELEIVE WHAT I JUST STUMBLED ACCROSS!!!

http://www.nimbacreations.com/Special%20costumes%20page.htm

Possible Problem Solution (Did you here that lele??? :P)

softdistortion
11-20-2003, 02:58 AM
Sorry missed you....checked that link...WOW!
Now I definitely can't promise to model and texture better than that. lol

Wicked_Chicken
11-20-2003, 10:02 AM
Small update this morning:

Contacted the UK group DREADZONE about discussing a possible Soundtrack/Music for the short. I know it's a bit off, but I'm trying to get as much done as possible.

Time will tell...

Benson:bounce:

Benork
11-20-2003, 04:31 PM
Awesome find Benson :D

Things are moving along nicely which is good, I'm sure we will be able to find solutions to problems as and when they come up.

Good stuff everyone. :thumbsup:

softdistortion
11-20-2003, 04:36 PM
Hey Benork. ....,Sorry I was grumpy last time I was on messenger. :blush:

Won't make excuses.....have some though :-)

Benork
11-20-2003, 04:38 PM
Hey sd, no worries man, you weren't that grumpy mate, don't apologise mate.

Seriously if thats grumpy then your a pretty sound bloke, cos it was pretty cool if you ask me. :thumbsup:

I'm on msn now if you fancy a chat.

Having looked through the site stuff like this is really encouraging. Makes the project feel achieveable...

Picture (http://www.nimbacreations.com/Library/2x%20marines.jpg)

Benork
11-20-2003, 04:57 PM
Those suits have really got me going wild :D I feel like a kid in a candy store...

Imagine the possibilities with just 1 of those suits.....

:D

Wicked_Chicken
11-20-2003, 06:37 PM
Hehehehe, I can't beleive I found that. Lol, still cracks me up.

If I've got my head on stright, those were used in the GW game Final Liberation. though I might be mistaken. I emailed them to ask about the terminator suits, and the normal marines. It's highly likely GW would have had them sign some sort of "You can't make more of these" contract. Lucky for us, ours are diffrent ;)

GO TEAM! CYROZ! You still alive mate?

Can't wait to see more!
Benson

cyroz2000
11-21-2003, 07:22 AM
sorry guys! Still here, but I had some work to do, so not much to show right now, but keep going... more to come in just few days!

Benork
11-21-2003, 09:09 PM
Hey cyroz, look forward to it man. :thumbsup:

Wicked_Chicken
11-23-2003, 12:09 AM
Hey Team, Just thought I'd post post post, bump bump bump.

Not much news here. Benork and I are trying to solve production issues, still, again... anyway... Still awaiting an update from cyroz, and I must say I'm very excited to see what he's got for us :D

Once again, BUMP!

Wicked_Chicken
11-23-2003, 12:14 AM
Just checked my Pm's. Got a message from the venerable Grayon. Here's what he had to say.

Re: Warhammer Dreadnought model
Hey sorry about not getting back to you earlier.

I usually don't make a habit of just handing out my models; and my free time is pretty limited these days with work, personal projects, and contract jobs.

I do like your enthusiasm though and your project seams pretty well organized compared to some others that I've seen.

For now all I can offer is my praise and support. But keep me up to date on your work. And when you guys get a little farther along with storyboards and specific shots that you have laid out; I'd love to take a another look and see if I might have some time to work with you guys.

Keep me posted.

So there you have it. At least he didn't yell at me for spamming his email account :P

Thanks for your kind words Grayson, I'll be sure to take you up on that :P

Benson

softdistortion
11-23-2003, 03:49 AM
see, all that worrying for not....Grayson rules! <did I spell that wright? :surprised

Wicked_Chicken
11-23-2003, 09:02 AM
I'd like to start this off on a positive note:

I started designing logo's and type designs for the project title. I get it done, it looks nice, and then I go to host it when, whats this, my hosting is down.

No.

Not only is it down. It's disappeared. Google can't find my hosting. Ahhhh!!!! The horror!!!

I'm do sad :hmm:

On another note, I sent Grayson (Yes, thats spelled right) I copy of the script, to see if I could somehow drag him into our collective. Time will tell (as aided by much spam mail:p )

Joking.

Anyway, everyone have a great night. Seriously, log off, make yourself a cup of coco, and enjoy it. You all deserve it.

:bowdown:

Benson

Wicked_Chicken
11-24-2003, 06:18 AM
Nother' Post: This one so-so.

As noted in earlier posts, Benork and Myself are shooting to solve our preproduction steps. One of which is financing. I've got a few solutions in mind, some better than others. I'm going to run them by everyone to see that you all think. I'm trying to solve the best format/for use/cost.

So far, our short is at roughly 20 minutes. Thats 20 minutes jam packed with CG, fake enviroments, and other goodies. Apparently, the format I had every intention of using (Mini-DV) is shit for postpro. So I'm faced with this:

Shoot with "shit" (Which I personally don't have any qualms with)
I can shoot when I want, while behind the lense. No crew, no extra people.

-Or-

Shoot with Digi Beta or Beta SP. This is really expensive. I have to pay for crew, gear, film, and other people's time.

The cost?

Mini-DV (High End 3 CCD) w/ full steadycam = $6000.00. I get to keep the cam afterwords, we don't have to wait on a crew, and we can hit shots faster.

Beta (Analoge Film) w/ crew. Maybe other gear. = $1400+ a day. Benork and I estimate this shoot to be 2 weeks with gear and personal problems. So, $1400 x 14 = $19.6k. Note, this is assumeing We shoot everyday of the week.

What's your input team? This is all projected with the assumption that I am covering all costs.

Let me know what you think.

Benson:surprised

softdistortion
11-24-2003, 05:21 PM
It seems on one hand you are showing willingness to shoot DV --dropping the visual level of quality you are trying to achieve. Wouldn't that end up being visually inconsistent with the high level CG you are pursuing? To me that would entail dirtying down the cg elements to match your live footage (which is doable with some effort). On the other end of scale, you could consider going all out to shoot film quality footage $19.6k. You could do either or, as you also suggest, something in between. Benson, Unless you have experience at this sort of thing, I suggest shooting it yourself will not be a very good choice no matter what camera you use. < The only way I can think to get around this camera issue would be purposely incorporating the home shoot look. Off the top of my head...One way to do this might be shooting it from a soldiers low quality helmet cam POV. Obviously a change like that would mean re-writing/ modifying the script>

Also, If you are ready to spend $6-$19+k. It seems to me another option you should consider is going full CG. Put that money into hiring some people (lots of em in employment section)capable of the high end CG you are looking for. Maybe also Spam Grayson with a $$$ offer for his model and skills. :-)
Another bonus for that route- would be supporting the CG community right here. <Shameless plug ;-)

Wicked_Chicken
11-24-2003, 07:05 PM
I have experiance shooting, so thats not really the problem. Another thing we could do is rip this into a feature. That would ease the pain of all that money for 20 minutes :hmm:

I've seen good looking DV. REALLY good looking DV. I dont have any problem processing it (or the CG) to match. If it meant saving 13k, I'm all for it.

That IS a rather interesting idea, to shoot it from marines POV. I'll look into it.:lightbulb

Also, as great as all cg would be, i don't know. I'll think about it. Doing that would pretty much eliminate me from doing anything truly creative, as i wouldn't be able to shoot/direct/interact in the same way.

Thanks for your responce SD.

Benson

softdistortion
11-24-2003, 08:23 PM
Also, as great as all cg would be, i don't know. I'll think about it. Doing that would pretty much eliminate me from doing anything truly creative, as i wouldn't be able to shoot/direct/interact in the same way.

CG features still need the same crew- director etc. The only major difference would be the elimination of camera and crew, which in this case would save money tht could be channeled into perfecting the whole CG environment. So you still have to set the 3D camera. If you put the money into SW you could get the 3D work done by people like Grayson. You and Benork Direct the set/camera/actors etc. Then Render and post.

Wicked_Chicken
11-24-2003, 10:04 PM
I'll think about it SD. This project has taken a whole slew of turns lately. Just let me get some stuff sorted out.

On another note, here's some stuff I've been doing. A banner and some logo types. Lemme know what you think.:shrug:

Yeah, I can't spell. I know :(

Cheers!

Benson

http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/templarbanner.jpg http://www.angeltowns.com/town/spector0/Templars/templartitles%20copy.jpg

softdistortion
11-24-2003, 11:48 PM
banner Looks good! What font is that?

Wicked_Chicken
11-25-2003, 02:20 AM
Thanks SD, that font is called "Projects"

You can get it at abstractfonts.com under the futuristic section.

-Benson

softdistortion
11-25-2003, 04:14 AM

Wicked_Chicken
11-26-2003, 04:28 PM
NP SD.

Cyroz2000, any updates???

Benork
12-01-2003, 12:14 PM
Lo all, there have been some development in our ideas towards this project. I will let Benson fill you in on the detail, but to summarise due to personal reasons this project may be put on pause for a short while before resuming in the new year.

Sorry if this inconveniences anyone. I will still be browsing these forums and avaiable on msn: benork2285@hotmail.com so please feel free to contact me if you have any queries or would like to talk about the project.

Ben

cyroz2000
12-01-2003, 01:03 PM
Hi, yes I'm still alive!
Sorry for the lack of posts these days, but I had a hard week!
Anyway, here is a little update:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/DN05.jpg

See ya!

softdistortion
12-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Hey...Looking good!

Benork
12-02-2003, 07:23 AM
Awesome work. I really love the way this model is going. No worries about the lack of posts, it's great to see you have done so much.

Talk to you all later...

Ben

Wicked_Chicken
12-07-2003, 12:05 AM
Looking great cryoz2000!!!

As Benork said, we're holding off until after christmas to see whats going to happen. Both myself and Benork have our hands full with other items, as I'm sure many of you all do as well this holiday season. I'll update as soon as things slow down.

Everyone enjoy the holidays, and don't go disappearing!!!

Benson:beer:

softdistortion
12-07-2003, 06:08 PM
Thanks ;)

cyroz2000
12-09-2003, 04:25 PM
Did a little texture test, just wanted to show...
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/weapons01.jpg
See ya!

Wicked_Chicken
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
And you said you couldn't texture!

LIES!!!

Looks great! Maybe you should add some decay behind the exhast port so it looks melted or something!

LOOKING GREAT!:buttrock:

cyroz2000
12-09-2003, 08:36 PM
Scuse me Benson, but I didn't lie, I'm not very comfortable with texture, as I am a modeler, usualy, I don't texture my models...
and it's the first (maybe second) time I try to do uv mapping, I just wanted to give it a try, so...

Anyway I'm happy with the results, that's why I wanted to share with you guys, but I really enjoy texturing (for the moment ;) ) as I learn a lot right now!

Anyway, thx for your comments, hope there will be update soon!

ps: thinking of texturing the body......give me headache... :hmm:

Wicked_Chicken
12-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Lol Cyroz, it wasn't meant seriously. A joke, really, as I see you've done an incredible job!!!

Keep up the good work!!!:bowdown:

Wicked_Chicken
12-16-2003, 06:37 AM
Lol Cyroz, it wasn't meant seriously. A joke, really, as I see you've done an incredible job!!!

Keep up the good work!!!:bowdown:

Stretch
12-16-2003, 04:35 PM
Greets to all.

Ive checked all this thread and this project is looking seriously cool. Im a warhammer and CG fan and would love to see this work out.

A few things Id like to mention to yous. Hope this helps.

1 - Those costumes are used in the official warhammer 40k film. I forget what its called but Its a short film of the Horus Heresy If i remember rightly. I saw it twice both times at the GW conventions at the Brimingham NEC on a huge screen. Both times without any sound. :surprised
It was cool tho and I definatly remember that shot of the Chaos Marine in it.
Also those Ultramarine costumes were on display in the black library and look amazing close up..
As far as I no that company was commissioned to make the suits for the films and are all now on display in GW HQ in London.

2 - That dreadnought looks incredibly sweet but the legs look a little to far apart to me..

3 - As someone who would be watching the film who has an interet in film but no complex knowledge of film making I thought youd like my 2cents on your production methods.

I suggest you go with th DVs, I think the quality will surfice and with correct filetering and SFX It should blend well. Any real problems can be rectified with a little inginuity. For instance maybe if the quality is very bad some ort of SFX force field could surround the head of the scouts, shrouding the poor quality. (This isnt a perfect solution, just an example of how the problem of quality can be solved)

Also are you gonna put the script or storyboards up or keep us all in the dark?
I write alot and would love to see what you have come up with. Call me apprehensive but I have to reserve judgement on your film until I know the story. Even if the CG looks completely real and the effects are breath taking, Its nothing but a showcase with a story.

Reading early in the thread I see youre going for the classic Good Vs Evil Epic made popular through the classic tales of the Imperium from the original 40k books to Star Wars to the modern film interpratation of Lord of the Rings. I guess what Im trying to say is that Id hate to see an oportunity for an amazing story to be lost

I guess thts everything.. ill be back anyway... anyone wants to chat on MSN : criminally_perfect@hotmail.com

Keep up the good work.

- Stretch

Wicked_Chicken
12-17-2003, 02:47 AM
Stretch.

I'd like to thank you for your ideas about the film format concern, and I wish it was as easy to rectify as you state. DV film is a 4:1:1 compression ratio, where is broadcast quality is 4:2:2. Big movies are typically shot on something like 4:4:4.

I don't know what your film background is, but it's really one of the biggest issues in film. I'm personally shooting for DV. My FX guy want's Beta SP, which runs around $10k for the camera. In the perfect world, I could shoot I def. Digi-Beta, which is upwards of $100k.

As far as I'm concerned, we can recify any problem with color correction and grain match, ect, and so forth. The real problem lies in compositing.

I wish I could explain it in full, but I don't really understand it in full myself.

I appreciate you ideas, and thanks!

About the GW movie and costumes, I assumed they where used in the 40k computer games, but naturally, I'm proven wrong. Thanks for this info!

Benson

Stretch
12-17-2003, 02:44 PM
Benson

Youre right I dont understand the technicallities of it all.. My point was just that there is always a simpler way. When one method costs 100k there is always another method which will achieve the same results for a cheaper price, if you use your initiative.
But you guys are the film makers so Ill just leave it to you. Hope you can sort it.

I noticed that the Warhammer 40k movie is available for download on Kazaa. Its about 600 Meg but i thought you might like to know so anyone working on your project who doesnt know anything about warhammer could watch it, get the idea.

Another thing.. im sure youve mentioned it somewhere here.. but what enemy are the Templars facing? Was it chaos? or was that something else i was reading..?

- Stretch

Wicked_Chicken
12-18-2003, 08:11 AM
Lol, thanks for the input stretch, i'll be sure to check out the movie (If i ever get broadband :P)

The scripted enemy we have to date is indeed Chaos, more specifically, the World Eaters...

Yar yar yar... let the bloody battles begin!

:bounce:

Stretch
12-18-2003, 09:36 PM
No problem.

Ahhh world eaters.... classic...

Cant wait to see some of that architecture too.. Those huge war torn buildings should be a challenge but will look sweet when done

Good luck with the film.. Ill check on you guys when you get going again..

Rock on... :buttrock:

- Stretch

:bowdown:

Benork
01-10-2004, 02:33 AM
Hey all,

Hope you are all going to still be around after this short break. But now that the holidays are over I think its time we slam this project back into gear and get it up and running again.

Benson, please e-mail me so we can discuss whats been happening.

I have found a barn we 'might' be able to use as a studio. No promises, but it might turn into something.

I don't know if you read Inferno, but I have the editors number sitting here in my hands and I am dying to call him and talk to him about this project. However I want to know where we are with it first.

Talk to you all soon.

Hope you all had a great christmas and new year.

Ben

cyroz2000
01-15-2004, 07:31 PM
Hi Ben
yes still here :p, I hope all of you had a great time during the break!

Best wishes! :beer:

Benork
01-16-2004, 08:15 PM
Bonne annee cyroz ;)

Exciting news guys, we should be getting the website and forums up by wednesday :D

Once they are up it should make things alot easier to organize. Hope you are all nicely rested, cos this project is going to start up again big time :D

Talk to you all very soon.

Ben

Wicked_Chicken
01-17-2004, 01:27 AM
Hey Mates, I'm BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAACK!

Firstly, I need to apologize to just about everyone. Benork, I swear, I haven't been ignoring you, I've just been bloody busy with school and my quest for employment. Hopefully, I'll find out on monday if it's over. If it is, I need to reschedual my school classes. Arg, what a mess.

If I get this job, I'll be getting a loan (Hopefully a big one) To get gear. Right now I'm looking at a Arri lighting kit, the Canon xl1s, a steadycam, and some high quality sound gear. Hopefully I'll have it before febuary is up.

Glad to see both Cyroz and Benork are back. Has anyone heard from SD? I'm still in good contact with Lele, so we are petty much back on track.

Glad to hear we will have a site up. Great News!

Benork, I had a bit of a crazy idea I've been thinkin' about. Wondering if you'd like to come over for a visit. It's way out there in left field, but I think we can pull it off, if your up to it.

Anyway, Glad to hear from everyone!!!

EDIT: I made a comment in the original copy of this post that dis-credited Mr. Lafferty unjustly. After being contacted by Jesse, I have ammended this mistake. Once again Jesse, my apologies.

cyroz2000
01-20-2004, 07:22 AM
Been a while since I didn't post any update :wip:
http://perso.wanadoo.fr/cyroz2000/images/templar/dn_001.jpg
See Ya!

Wicked_Chicken
01-20-2004, 07:26 AM
Wow Cyroz, looking killer! Keep uo the great work!

Benson

Benork
01-24-2004, 11:59 AM
That is absolutely gorgeous. Keep up the good work cyroz.

I've been thinking and we need concept artists. It's not as if we can't move forwards without them for the time being, as GW has provided alot of concept art we can use for alot of the modelling. But we still need concept drawings for at the very least the main characters and locations.

So this is a call to all the concept artsists out there. Please post :)

I'm not entirely sure where we are with the hosting yet. Whilst its great to use CGTalk, and we will continue to do so, the size of the project means we are going to need our own forums.

I'll keep pushing for the hosting.

Benson, I think its time we did another revision of the script :) :p

I'd hold out on the loan for the minute mate. We won't be able to start filming this for months, who knows where this will go (we may even get some kind of finance), and you really don't want to be in debt. I took out a loan for 1000 once, and though its nothing huge, it was still quite hellish paying back. Be warned ;)