PDA

View Full Version : New keymap editor in Blender 2.5

Shenan
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Hi All,

I thought some of you might like to know that some early work has been done on implementing a keymap editor in Blender 2.5. Apparently it's working already, but with some limitations for now.

Here's Ton's message for this commit:

First step towards keymap editor!
Before getting too excited:

doesn't save yet
no rna properties can be defined
no insert/remove keymap options yet
no option yet to set 'key press/release' But what does work;
Keymap list is in outliner, new category (Keymaps are listed in order as being created now)
enable/disable a keymap entry: click on dot icon
it displays python api names for ops
browse new operator for keymap (menu button)
set keymap to use other keys, mouse or tweak events
four modifier key options I first intent to test it all well, there are still quite some modal map conflicts (like border select) and there's problems assigning items to tweaks Another issue is that a visual editor for keymaps might be quite hard to use... the amount of data and options is just not so fun for a buttons menu. There are ways to improve this though. Maybe do this via a script?

Here's a screenshot:

http://i32.tinypic.com/119yvdj.jpg

And here's a link to download a SVN build of this: http://graphicall.org/builds/builds/showbuild.php?action=show&id=1027

As always, please remember that this Blender build is still pre-alpha - very early days still, so doesn't necessarily reflect how the final version will look and work.

rock
07-26-2009, 07:43 PM
Blender interface is getting more beautiful. I have one question: if I set the 3D Gizmo to be on. When I press G or R or S, shouldn't it make sense to still leave the Gizmo on because I have already set it on?

@ce
07-27-2009, 09:43 AM
I find it intrusive if it's on when I don't use it, but it remains there if you USE the gizmo.
Doesn't it make more sense like in the way it is?

rock
07-27-2009, 04:56 PM
I agree that the Gizmo may be intrusive in cases and not in others. But if I set the Gizmo to on, it should stay on. If I want it off, then I would turn it off. But if I turn it on but it goes off - that's not consistent in my view.

DanielWray
07-27-2009, 08:53 PM
Well if you press either the move, rotate or scale keys the mouse cursor is tracked for the movement/ rotation or scale, so you wouldn't be able to use the gizmo and it would get in the way, while it may seem incosistent it is there for ease of use, if you want to press the shortcuts and scale on a certain axis press either xyz keys, or you can just use the gizmo straight away and make the changes.

:)

unhurdof1
07-30-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree with Rock. I want Blender to do what I tell it to, not vice versa. If I turn it on, I want it to stay on until I turn it off. It has worked that way in most software I've used and it slowed me down when I converted to Blender. As a toggle button it wouldn't be too intrusive in my workflow because I can just press the hotkey to hide it as needed. I don't want to think about which axis I need to move rotate or scale on beyond looking at my manipulator's icons and reacting. It feels more intutive to me that way. I don't know, maybe it's a matter of preference. I am a new convert to Blender from other software so I understand how long time users want their workflow to remain uninterrupted. It would be ideal to have an option available to enable or disable 'constant b(lender) manipulators.' That would satisfy new and old Blender users. I just want to say thank you to Ton and The Blender Foundation for providing Blender to artists, and secondly for striving to make Blender even more accessible and efficient with the release of 2.5.

-Unhurdof

DanielWray
07-30-2009, 03:30 PM
It would stay on the screen. But take for example moving a cube on the X axis, you would either press G then X or just grab the widget arm on the X axis and move it, during the movement the widget doesn't need to be seen/ shown in the viewport, it could even be greyed out to maybe 10% opacity so you can still see it slightly, but more importantly see what you are doing with the object/ face/ vertice etc.

Hope that makes more sense :)

unhurdof1
07-31-2009, 10:19 AM
while it may seem incosistent it is there for ease of use, if you want to press the shortcuts and scale on a certain axis press either xyz keys, or you can just use the gizmo straight away and make the changes.

:)
Somehow I missed that line. I guess reading really is fundamental. :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-31-2009, 10:19 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.