PDA

View Full Version : Area Light Visibility

Kinematics
07-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Hey everyone,

I've got a scene with multiple area lights. Of which one is behind the object being lit as a rim light. It is visible from the angle of the camera.

I am using mental ray and I used the
AreaLightShape -> Area Light -> Use Light Shape (ticked).
Type, rectangle. High Samples -> 20.
High Sample Limit -> 2.
Low Samples -> 8.
Visible (ticked) with shape intensity 3.0.

I've got FinalGather going. I am trying to render the object without the visible light being seen in the frame but whenever I uncheck visible or use light shape. My render result changes as the reflection disappears.

I tried substituting with a reflective plane but the shape intensity toggle makes me life so easy so is there a way I can force mental ray not to render the visible area light?

Thanks guys.

Kinematics
07-28-2009, 01:19 AM
No one? haha really need some help. :P

weerawan
07-28-2009, 09:24 AM
Don't sure that my method can give you solution.But give it a try.
AreaLightShape -> Area Light -> Use Light Shape (ticked).
Visible (UNticked)
You will get the reflection only already.But you want something to replace your shape intensity.So,create plane and scale it to fit arealight.Assign mia-x shader.Assign mia light surface to it additional slot in advance tab of mia-x.
Now,you get mia light surface to similate like your shape intensity by adjust reflection contribute attribute and intensity value.
...Hope it help.

Kinematics
09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
Thanks for the info, it works but i need more tips to make it better =)

I tried plugging the same light intensity value and im messing around with the reflection contribution setting but it still isn't looking the same. Is there a reason to this? Is there a way to get the mia_lightshader to mimic the same reflections? Its just slightly different but the gradation really looked better previously.

CGTalk Moderation
09-12-2009, 11:49 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.