PDA

View Full Version : Using CGFX shader for preview, but a diff shader for render

ndeboar
07-26-2009, 10:23 AM
Hey,

We use custom renderman shaders at work, which are great, but they don't preview in the maya view port. After looking through the CGFX examples, i reckon i could duplicate most of what our renderman shaders do in CGFX and finally get some real-time previews.

For this to be useful though, i need to use the CGFX shader for the viewport preview, but then tell Maya to use my renderman shader at render time.

Is there any way of getting this sort of functionality with maya out of the box?

Otherwise, i might look into adding it as an option to the shader group (eg have an extra connection for cgfx/realtime shaders).

Cheers,

Nick

Cheesestraws
07-26-2009, 11:07 AM
If you use default Maya materials there is a section to assign a hardware shader on the material. I doubt that exists on your renderman shaders, but I guess you should be able to override the surface material of one of the default Maya shaders in the shading group with your renderman shader.

InfernalDarkness
07-27-2009, 04:02 AM
Under "Surface Material" leave it as a Maya material. In mental ray, you would "Suppress all Maya Shaders" and your viewport remains attached to the Maya material, but at rendertime it's replaced by the MR material. So any hardware texturing works in the viewport, but at rendertime you'd get the details or attributes of the shader in the mental ray slot.

I'm certain Renderman has a similar operation, if not one more extensive. Or is this not what you're looking for? Does PRman not use Maya Shading Groups at all?

ndeboar
07-27-2009, 10:54 AM
You would think so.

The renderman shader doesnt have any hardware shader overrides on the shader or the shading group.

Might post in the pixar forum.

Nick

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2009, 10:54 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.