PDA

View Full Version : Proton, Multiple goal IK/Spline IK in LW8?

jjburton
07-31-2003, 02:05 AM
I recently had to go to maya for animation for my current short because I couldn't get a usable rig in maya. I went kicking and screaming mind you:). I need either reliable fast multiple goal IK or spline IK. Has anyone seen either of these in the demos? I've been watching the streams when I can but haven't seen anything yet along those lines.

Proton, show me baby!

Shade01
07-31-2003, 02:10 AM
wasnt that octopus multiple goal ik?

peterpro
07-31-2003, 02:17 AM
Multiple goals is what exactly?

Lw can do this already, just use multiple nulls under the control of one null.

i mean
i've had several goals(nulls) that are controlled by one uber null for some fantastic effects.

or are you talking about several bones all controlled by one goal object?

works quite well actually.
=)

jjburton
07-31-2003, 03:08 AM
I didn't see multiple goals on the octopus rig demo I saw.

I know that you can do multiple goal IK and have done so, the problem is speed. It's fine for posing but if you wanna start animating, it's a whole nother story. If you want to animate, it's a serious hamper on the workflow if you have to do a preview any time you want to see something in near real time speed.

ngrava
07-31-2003, 03:30 AM
OK, so the way I understand it after watching the stream (could be wrong) is that LW's now IK system is more like Kaydara or Animanium. You don't actually use goals anymore but instead "pin" and "un-pin" your joints where you want them to stay and on whatever frame you want. The IK can also radiate throughout the whole body. So, when you pull the arm the rest of the body pulls with it (unless you tell it not to).

So, taking this into account, I would imagine that you simply pin the joint you want to move and just animate them as if they had goals on them. But, you could change what joints had pins on them on a frame by frame basis.

Sounds totally fun to me!

Now as far as the octopus goes, I thought they where showing off the new dynamic chains? Not the IK

-=GB=-

mix
07-31-2003, 03:44 AM
(Shift Spline Transform)maybe what your looking for.
Go here http://www.shift.gr.jp/html/staff/plugin.html
Doesn,t just work on tubes, Iv rigged a charactor with bones and used spline transform to control the tail and it works perfectly, and its fast, no noticeable overhead on the charactor rigg.
Oh and its free!!!:eek:

jjburton
07-31-2003, 03:50 AM
Mix, I played with that when it first came out and I was very impressed however. I couldn't find a way to set the length of the spans of the curve so that the body wouldn't stretch out. Make sense? I spent two weeks trying different rig ideas out in LW before I had to jump ship for animation. All modelling and rendering will be done in LW though as well as some particle effects. Spline IK is what I needed though a better implementation of the multiple goal IK would have worked if it had been fast enough to be useable.

ngrava- I saw that pinning but wasn't exactly sure how taht would work. Can you pin any joint? How does the IK interpolate the calculation then (linear, curve)? Regardless, my short is due at the end of August so I can't wait for 8. Maybe for the next short.

Dr Dardis
07-31-2003, 04:44 AM
I always thought that Multiple IK chains was messy, having to balance goal strengths etc... I have always wanted the option of simple 2d IK, with pole vector controls.

and I agree Shifts plugin goes a long way to solving the "splinamate.p" shortcomings, but it would be nice to have bones conform to that curve, so PROPER spline IK.

IMHO.

ngrava
07-31-2003, 09:02 AM
Originally posted by jjburton
ngrava- I saw that pinning but wasn't exactly sure how taht would work. Can you pin any joint? How does the IK interpolate the calculation then (linear, curve)? Regardless, my short is due at the end of August so I can't wait for 8. Maybe for the next short.

Yeah, that's the thing. I saw them pin the ankle and the hand and then un-pin them and all that but they didn't pin any other joint that I was able to see. Maybe someone else has more information?

Anyway, I can totally understand not wanting to wait. Up until I saw the stream about the new IK system, I was totally not interested in version 8. I use LW at work but Iíve been using Maya for a while and I'll probably keep using it for my personal stuff. But, I can't help being intrigued by this new IK development.

-=GB=-

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.