PDA

View Full Version : 1,2,3 keyboard shortcuts and rendering

polykleitos
07-25-2009, 10:15 PM
I am a bit confused about the geometry display settings in Maya (1,2, and 3 keyboard shortcuts). It's not an actual real smooth since it doesn't render out. Is it a quick preview of how your geometry will look when you use the 'smooth' or 'bevel' function? I have been modeling something and have used the 3 command on the keyboard to tweak it to exactly how I want it smoothed but it obviously wont render out like that. Someone please de-mystify these commands and provide some insight into how I can really smooth my object so that it renders out but looks the same as when I am smooth previewing. THANK YOU!!!

-J

CGmm
07-27-2009, 07:29 AM
Which version of Maya are you using?
If 2009, try render using Mental Ray.
Or you can always convert it from Modify menu.

polykleitos
07-27-2009, 03:34 PM
I'm using Maya 2008. Will converting to sub-d give me the desired result. Unfortunately 'creasing' in sub-d does not render out with mental ray.

Xestion
07-28-2009, 02:49 PM
pre 2009 does not render out the preview smooth for you if i remember right. we created a little script here at our studio to solve that problem for us. What it does is that it calls out the smooth command when you hit render on the objects you have the smooth preview on. Anyway, here you go!

Just put the scripts in your script folder and in your MEL callbacks in your render settings, simply type

cf_preSmoothSmoothed in Pre Render MEL
cf_postSmoothSmoothed in Post Render MEL

Give me a shout if you cant get this to work, haven't used it for ages now but worked like a charm before.

NitroLiq
07-28-2009, 03:20 PM
pre 2009 does not render out the preview smooth for you if i remember right.
You can render out the smooth preview in 2008 by going to modify > convert > smooth preview to polygons or you can perform a standard smooth by just selecting your mesh and going to Mesh > Smooth. Same results. You can also look into poly proxy modeling, which is a nice way to work as you can put the cage next to the smoothed version while you work...combine that with layers and you can turn off what you need or don't need. It's all in the manual.

ndeboar
07-28-2009, 04:02 PM
My reasoning for the smoothing just being a preview is most people (eg me :) ) use render time smoothing (like mental rays approxmation editor, rendermans subdiv attributes).

dren
07-28-2009, 04:27 PM
I just had the same exact question about a week ago haha... Check this thread out: http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=7&t=788439 There is a great response to it (First response)

Noggy
08-06-2009, 09:20 PM
I ran into the same problem today. If "3" key is suppose to be a smooth preview, why doesn't it look that that when I smooth it? For some reason, the preview is better than the actual smooth...that doesn't make much sense to me.

What if I want to use Maya Software? Can anyone explain what's actually happening when I press 3 or point me to a link? I can't find an explanation. I don't understand how Maya can show me "3" smooth in viewport but not when I render.

Xestion, I'm gonna try your script later tonight, I'll tell you what I find out. Maybe I can reverse engineer the script to find out whats happening when I press 3.

CGmm
08-10-2009, 02:45 AM
I'm not sure why smooth mesh preview is only applied to Mental Ray rendering.

Though under the shape node of each of your poly objects,
there is a smooth mesh attribute you can edit.
So there you can change the subdivision level.
(Just found you can also change by pressing Page Up/Down)
This may fix your quality of the smoothness. Hope this help.

CGTalk Moderation
08-10-2009, 02:45 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.