PDA

View Full Version : Questions on studying animation

emdean
07-25-2009, 02:44 PM
Hello everyone,
I'm wondering which school to go to for animation. I'm from Australia and I'm looking to branch out. I spoke to the training manager at Animal Logic Studios and he recommended:
1. Gobelins FRANCE
2. Supainfocom FRANCE
3. Calarts USA
4. Bournemouth Uni UK
(I also noticed that NYU Tisch Asia has opened an Animation Dept in Singapore. Has anyone been there/know what it's like?)
I'd really appreciate any thoughts and suggestions.
Regards,
Em

berniebernie
07-25-2009, 05:04 PM
Hey

I study at supinfocom, and I'm content with it, but you won't get the best hands on training and nearly no professional input. It's a do-it-by-yourself school very focused on end-of-the year projects (which I should be working on). It got me an internship at Framestore and in a nice Paris studio so I won't complain, but it has various disadvantages:
-french is required (there are virtually no non-french speaking people)
-the schools are in desolate towns (that maybe why we spend our saturdays and sundays there :rolleyes: )
-animation is simply not taught (at least in our school out of the two in france)

I know various people at Gobelins, and it's a little more international, cheaper by half, in a nice place in paris, but the level required to get in is simply crazy. The school is extremely focused on animation, yet they've reached an amazing 3d level. They share a program with Calarts too.

Hope it helped a tad.

emdean
07-26-2009, 01:03 PM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, very good to know! I see that Gobelins also requires French and I speak English only but I'd be willing to learn. Is there any further advice you can give that would make my portfolio stand out? What kind of knowledge would I need beforehand?
Cheers,
Em

moidphotos
07-26-2009, 11:12 PM
There is a page of information about Gobelins' entry requirements here http://www.gobelins.fr/presentation-anim-gb.htm

I don't know anyone who has studied there, but I have worked with a very talented artist who didn't pass their entry exams; I think it's a very hard school to get into, good luck.

berniebernie
07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
Hi,
Thanks for the reply, very good to know! I see that Gobelins also requires French and I speak English only but I'd be willing to learn. Is there any further advice you can give that would make my portfolio stand out? What kind of knowledge would I need beforehand?
Cheers,
Em

Just a really, really good drawing background. With that comes the knowledge of masters of art.

CGTalk Moderation
07-28-2009, 11:47 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.