PDA

View Full Version : Think Tank Vancouver

RobertLavigne
07-25-2009, 07:32 AM
Hi there. I'm currently looking to be going to school for animation in the Vancouver area. I see there is already a huge thread on VFS and lots of info on VanArts. Lost Boys is more into VFX and I don't want to get a degree which rules out a few others. One place I'm curious to hear more about is The Think Tank. It seems like an interesting concept, but I want to know how it actually works in reality. I've read the two reviews on the art school reviews site. Both of these people had a fairly positive experience. One thing I'm a tad concerned about from what I've read, is that there is very little time with an instructor in the room. I'm a very self motivate person and don't need some nagging me to work, but I don't want to spend $30,000 to only get a few hours of instruction a week.

If there are any alumni around I would be very interested in hearing about your experience. Either through the thread or, if your willing, I would love to have the chance to have a thorough conversation with someone about their time there. If your willing to do so please P.M me and we'll figure something out. Thanks

Robert

RobertLavigne
07-31-2009, 07:20 AM
So by the looks of things there isn't a lot of alumni from the think tank. Could be because they keep the class sizes at 8 students. Anyways I have managed to get some alumni contact information through the school itself, If anyone is interested I can post my findings here.

Pixanaut
08-05-2009, 07:18 AM
I'm in Vancouver, and I've never heard of The Think Tank.

RobertLavigne
08-05-2009, 07:54 AM
It does exsist http://www.thinktanktrainingcentre.com/ . From what I've read it's a very small school. They only allow about 8 student in per term, and I think they have 3ish terms a year. I think the program kinda runs like AM in that you get a mentor who works in the Vancouver Industry. I have talked with some alumni now that I got hooked up with through the school. It sounds like a decent program. They provided you with top of the line equipment, dual 24 inch monitors, all the software is updated when new stuff comes out. I'm starting to think that it will be my back-up plan if I don't get accepted to Animation Mentor.

Pixanaut
08-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Well the student work looks pretty good to me. Might be worth looking into.

Except that their modeling reels are sooooo slow. They need to pick up the pace in their editing of them. Too much time spent on the 'look at what I made'... I wanna see it, see the important stuff, and get to the next one.

larsmeyer
09-02-2009, 05:38 PM
Hi Robert. I am interested in hearing what you have decided regarding your school choice and what made you make the final decision,... if you have made one. I am researching the schools in Vancouver as a part of a business plan. I have found that Think Tank is one of the best choices as far as student satisfaction and job placement is concerned. their mentorship approach to education is possibly the most efficient model in getting results while in training as well as preparing students for professional life.

RobertLavigne
09-02-2009, 11:48 PM
Hi Robert. I am interested in hearing what you have decided regarding your school choice and what made you make the final decision,... if you have made one. I am researching the schools in Vancouver as a part of a business plan. I have found that Think Tank is one of the best choices as far as student satisfaction and job placement is concerned. their mentorship approach to education is possibly the most efficient model in getting results while in training as well as preparing students for professional life.

Hey there. In the end I decided on going to animation mentor. I am also taking some course through t.d college to learn some advanced rigging. My decision isn't based that much on the quality of any of the Vancouver programs quality. Last year I was in a bad accident and while I had been hoping to be able to attend a school in January 2010 I have realized that I'm just not physically ready at this time. Because of this and the fact the AM has such a sterling reputation I have decided to go the online route. I also decided that I really wanted a animation focused program and not to be a generalist or only spend half my time on the stuff I really want to do. Animation Mentor is also 6 months longer with an optional shorts class afterwords that goes another 3 months, and all this goes for about $12,000 less then any school in Van.

From the 3 alumni and some of the staff that I talked with I got a good feeling about the Think Tank. It likely would have been my first choice of schools had I gone with a brick and mortar program. Although you may get a little less teaching time there then at VFS (of others) I think that through the mentorship program and peer collaboration it would be a place where a hard worker could learn a lot.

Sorry I'm not able to help you too much, but I would be very interested in seeing the results of your research. Good luck.

roderickweise
09-13-2009, 04:34 PM
I will be summiting my application to think tank very soon so I can get into the july class. Talk to the owner hes the one that called me when I summited that I was interested. I think its amazing how the owner of the school will call you and anwser your questions it seems when I talked to him he is more interested in you getting a good education then in the money. When I talked to VFS and got accepted it seems like they only want my money and they have 30 students in there classes. Thank Tank has 8 and they are moving to 12 students in the future thats awesome cause of all the one on one time. I hope the owner is ready if i get accepted to Think Tank cause hes been in the buisness for years I plane on following him around with a note book because I am sure hes full of great information that will help me with my future.

liptrick
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
Hey guys, here are two great reviews about Think Tank Training Center if you're doing some research.

http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/reviews/think-tank-training-centre/3d-modeling-animation/rescued-by-think-tank

http://www.artschoolreviews.ca/reviews/think-tank-training-centre/3d-modeling-animation/these-points-of-data-make-a-beautiful-line

There are a bunch more for other 3d programs in the Vancouver area including AI, VFS, and even Lost Boys Learning.

CGTalk Moderation
10-05-2009, 01:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.