PDA

View Full Version : Mental ray contour rendering questions

Leionaaad
07-24-2009, 09:22 PM
I can't get any good results with mental ray contours. It is almost like the simple contour shader is the only thing that actually works.
Can anyone help me how can I get the contours work like ink outlines? Judging by the name, the shader called contour_shader_curvature looks like is the thing I am looking for, but it isn't really working. Besides, it leaves a lot of artefacts where the surface folds and is close to the edges. Some advice would be greatly apreciated. thanks

Leionaaad
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
I am closer to a solution now, but still not there yet. If I show you an image, I am sure you can help me out a bit.
http://leionaaad.com/wip/questions/conturtest.jpg

This is quick test I made with the contours, to figure out why they don't work as expected. The color of the vase is the same as in the contour, I plugged in the ambience of a lambert shader with a darker diffuse. The big question is: Why is the stepping in the contur? Is the same texture. No matter what I used, the contour is stepped. Of course if I want to control the width with a map or anything, the same stepping occurs. Is there something special for the contours I don't know about?

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.