PDA

View Full Version : Batch Render Stuck after 1 Frame

Jadetiger
07-24-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey guys. I'm trying to do a batch render. I have a scene I'm rendering with mental ray and for some reason, it will batch render one frame and then just stop. It sits at 100% on that frame and never progresses. It's strange because the renders don't take that long. I'm hoping I won't have to manually render out and save each frame. Any help on this would save me a lot of tedious work. Thanks!

kuschel33
07-24-2009, 01:07 PM
Do you render with slaves?! Which Maya Version?! If you use 2009, install SP1a

Jadetiger
07-26-2009, 11:14 PM
i believe i found answer, i used instanced geometry. I'm going to clean up the file and see if that fixes it.

anevsky
07-27-2009, 02:26 AM
Ive run into things like that several times. If you have the time to go over everything and find the cause that is the best - however theres a script you can get over at highend3d called FrontBatchRender it renders frames out in the viewer but does your whole sequence automatically - so you dont have to press render and save for every frame.

Of course that is the ugly way out but when under pressure ive used it.

Things that have caused the exact result you describe - various imported models from cad with lots of parts and geometry.

Also you should check out what options are good to use if combining instances with mentalray - like bsp2 for instance.

Jadetiger
07-27-2009, 05:39 AM
Ok, The problem is a combination of animated geometry and Mental ray. I'm going to try to find a way around it.

I have buildings in my scene that I scale or translate. I've tried grouping them, combining all the pieces, so far nothing is working. If I have any key frames on these buildings the batch render will stop after one frame. Any suggestions?

Jadetiger
07-27-2009, 07:28 AM
Ok, new discovery. Its a combination of certain shaders, animated geometry and mental ray. I just threw a lambert on my model and it started batch rendering. I do have shaders with high reflection on them. That may have had something to do with it. I'll keep hunting down the problem... Stay tuned....

what an obscure bug this is...

anevsky
07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
take your animated objects and geometry cache them. Its under animation. For comfort you might have to combine several small objects into bigger ones to save time. then you can remove the animation and connect the geometry cache to an object. See if that fixes it.

If you want you can post a scene I 'll try to take a look.

CGTalk Moderation
07-27-2009, 01:27 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.