PDA

View Full Version : Studio Ghibli Hiring

tjnyc
07-30-2003, 09:53 PM
From Anime News Network:

Studio Ghibli is hiring in the areas of animation, background art, and finishing (digital painting). Gender, school education, experience and nationality are not considered, but it is necessary to have strong Japanese language skills to communicate with the staff.

The announced starting salary is 167,000 yen (US $1,401.13) per month plus travel expenses for a nine-month training period beginning in April 2004 and work hours from 10am to 6pm with overtime and holidays.

Applications close September 8th, 2003, for animation and ten days later for background and finishing. Further details, in Japanese, are available
here.
(http://www.ntv.co.jp/ghibli/bosyu/2004.html)

CGmonkey
07-30-2003, 10:06 PM
Omg! Awesome.. Too bad I got poor 2d animation skills and can't speak japanese! ;)

Array
07-30-2003, 10:10 PM
am I the only one who thinks the salary is just a TAD bit low? :surprised

ZeroNeuro
07-30-2003, 10:10 PM
16,800.00 a year? I know some McD managers making more :o

tjnyc
07-31-2003, 12:10 AM
That is the starting price, it depends on your skill or experience what your actual pay will be and overtime is included. No prior experience is required to apply. If you are excepted, you get to train with the world famous animation staff from Ghibli. Even if you decide to move on after a year, having Studio Ghibli will look great on any resume or reel. Personally, if I was right out of College, I would jump on this in a second.

erilaz
07-31-2003, 12:21 AM
Hell, I saw the documentary on the Spirited Away DVD. I don't think I could be THAT dedicated!:surprised

alphatron
07-31-2003, 12:40 AM
Plus, Japan is one of the most expensive countries to live in the world. i couldn't even live of that in Canada.

tjnyc
07-31-2003, 12:56 AM
A good look at the Studio and it's history

Studio Ghibli - Nausicaa.net (http://www.nausicaa.net/miyazaki/ghibli/index.html)

fasteez
07-31-2003, 09:09 AM
hahaha money is nothing if you can work at ghibli's studio man, these guys are genius !! (like pixar etc)

ZeroNeuro
07-31-2003, 09:16 AM
They certainly are amazing. But I have to say... These people live their work. On call 24 hours, and willing to work from waking to sleeping. Now, I am dedicated... but the reason I want to get a job is so that I can HAVE a life. *grin* (btw Ghibli is one of the influences on my lighting style) If I could speak japanese, I'd be there in a heartbeat. Only to gain the experience of the masters at ghibli. What's a year in absolute immersion compared to a lifetime of bliss? Hehe, why you think I wanna head off to Malaysia if, by the time it comes up, I am still struggling with my own studio? Which I might add... I just had to let my animator and my concept artist go :( I couldnt afford to keep them.

On the bright side, my concept artist just got hired by a larger company :D

Cheers
Ritchie Roberts

Dominique
07-31-2003, 09:55 AM
True, 1400$ ain't a lot,
but now you do learn Japanese and will work on one of the nicest movies in the world, and you'll travel!!

Pitty I only master Dutch, French, English and half German and Spanish.
I do know animation.

Dominique

MCronin
07-31-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
16,800.00 a year? I know some McD managers making more :o

True, but they are saying you only work from 10-6. I'll bet if alot of American artists figured out their salaries vs the time they are actually expected to work (60-80-100 hour weeks sometimes) they probably would come to a similar hourly average.

Besides, I think the pay is just for the training, they probably bum p it upa bit when you go to production.

Gentle Fury
07-31-2003, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by MCronin
True, but they are saying you only work from 10-6. I'll bet if alot of American artists figured out their salaries vs the time they are actually expected to work (60-80-100 hour weeks sometimes) they probably would come to a similar hourly average.

Besides, I think the pay is just for the training, they probably bum p it upa bit when you go to production.

hmmmmm, that is way on the low side........i am currently rebuilding my graphics company (aka i had to get a non-graphics related job) and i'm making ~$3200 a month...........but it would be a great experience :)

ZeroNeuro
07-31-2003, 12:57 PM
Average salary for a computer artist in the industry ranges from 40,000 to 150,000 dollars a year. So even if you made the minimum intern salary of 40k, even working at 100 hours a week youd average 8.50 an hour.

Yan Loong Wong
07-31-2003, 01:16 PM
i just checked out the more detailed japanese descriptions, and there is an age limit of 18-25 on their site. This age limit thing kinda bothers me, as if they don't think u can learn anything new once u passed a certain age.:annoyed:

Chewey
07-31-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Yan Loong Wong
i just checked out the more detailed japanese descriptions, and there is an age limit of 18-25 on their site. This age limit thing kinda bothers me, as if they don't think u can learn anything new once u passed a certain age.:annoyed:

Actually it's quite the opposite. Peeps older than that are usually wise enough to know that they aren't going to put up with being taken advantage of in the workplace. Younger peeps are more compliant and more willing to do whatever they're asked. In Japan you must be compliant and play the subserviant toadie or else you aint gonna last very long.

tjnyc
07-31-2003, 08:31 PM
This application is for entry level position, for talented people new to the field. It is not for the already seasoned pro.

The pay isn't much at all, but look at the value you will be getting in return. Having worked on something like Spirited Away on your resume would probably get you a job almost anywhere, like maybe Pixar or ILM. Studio Ghibli is famous for their workmanship and dedication to perfection. Generally, you have to go to an art school to get animation schooling and you have to pay the institution for your training which isn't real world training in most cases. At Ghibli they are paying you and you are getting real world training from THE best animation studio in the world. Your reel is not on some VHS you made in your school lab it is on commercial DVD with your name in the credits with world recognition and awards.

Look at it this way as well, if Pixar or ILM was offering something like this would you jump on it? A talented artist with no prior or limited experience to be trained and work on a major feature with a MAJOR studio? Hell, I would pay Pixar or ILM $17,000 to get a chance to work there and having that on my resume. The experience and notoriety will definitely help anyone land better pay and better position.

I think this is a rare opportunity not often come by, a real dream come true.

If I only knew enough Japanese and was within the age limit I would not hesitate.

MCronin
07-31-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by ZeroNeuro
Average salary for a computer artist in the industry ranges from 40,000 to 150,000 dollars a year. So even if you made the minimum intern salary of 40k, even working at 100 hours a week youd average 8.50 an hour.

An average is an average, it doesn't have a range and realistcly the average is proabaly around 45k including all industries. Most people I know worked obscene hours for 20-35K for their first job, so I really don't think this salary is bad for training 8 hours a day at one of the most respected studios in the world. Even if a person gets shaken out of the training program, with that on their resume, and the talent probably required to get into training in the first place, they'll probably have no trouble getting a job somewhere else that pays much more money. It's a great opportunity.

ZeroNeuro
07-31-2003, 10:24 PM
Oh I agree that it is a great oppertunity. I am just saying that with the cost of living in japan... that salary is going to get you in trouble. In fact, I think that the best candidate is someone who is a student, who also has other sources of income to suppliment the income from Ghibli. (read that as parents.) I'm too old anyway ;)

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 06:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.