PDA

View Full Version : Maya Software Render Question

whisperwing
07-23-2009, 07:39 PM
I have a normal scene and I'm rendering using Maya Software Renderer.
( I'm using only the default lighting and the settings for the renderer is the default too )

The camera used for rendering has a far clip plane far too big for the scene and I turned off Auto Render Clip Plane. So when the rendered image comes out, the rgb channel is completely black, but the alpha channel looks fine.
I know it's not necessary for my purpose to turn off the Auto Render Clip plane, but I really want to understand why this is happening. ( the discrepancy between the RGB and alpha channel). Even if this is a problem with the depth map so I'm not getting the RGB, why would I still have the correct alpha channel?

Anyone can shed some light on what's going on here? Thanks!!!

Kev3D
07-24-2009, 12:58 AM
Anyone can shed some light on what's going on here? Thanks!!!

Haha, maybe that's what you need to do... seriously, have you tried putting a light in there?

whisperwing
07-24-2009, 01:32 AM
I know the scene will render because if I change the far clip plane to a smaller value rgb and alpha channels will all be there

Kev3D
07-24-2009, 08:44 AM
Is there a reason you're using the default light? I don't think it's as reliable as a light you put in yourself.

whisperwing
07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Is there a reason you're using the default light? I don't think it's as reliable as a light you put in yourself.

Using the default light is just for convenience. And since I can get the correct rendering by adjusting the far clip plane, doesn't seem like this is a big problem.

CGTalk Moderation
07-24-2009, 04:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.