PDA

View Full Version : Can't delete material layer in Advanced Material Editor - Vue 7.4

HiTekJeff
07-23-2009, 04:32 AM
Hi,

This was posted on another site by me and I wanted to post here as well to see if anyone else has this problem so I can report it on my support ticket to e-on. So far, they have not given me any info on this and it has been just one of several bugs I have ran across. Here goes:

I have come across a rather strange problem in Vue 7.4 (both Mac and PC tested have same results) not wanting to allow a material layer to be deleted in the "Advanced Material Editor". The boxes are grayed out and so is the option to move them up and down in the order. This happens with Simple and also "Mixed" material options. At this time, I am not sure what the issue is or why this is going on. I can add a new layer fine, but it does not allow a layer to be deleted or moved once there.

I have sent in for support help and e-on is looking at the file I sent them. So far they said it seems like something strange may be going on but are not sure at this time until they look into it more.

Has anyone seen this happen on Vue 7.4 and any possible thoughts on what may be going on? It did not seem to be an issue for me as far as I recall before 7.4. but I really was not working much with material layers at that time so I am unsure.

Thanks.

nPellegrino
07-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Is this happening with a specific material? What kind of object is the material on? Could you post a screen shot of the UI when this is happening?

HiTekJeff
07-23-2009, 09:05 AM
Is this happening with a specific material? What kind of object is the material on? Could you post a screen shot of the UI when this is happening?

This is an issue that I have encountered with Vue 7.4 and at least 3 other users, one of which I have been talking to over on another 3D web site has the exact same issue. It does not matter what the object is, rather a primitive or import, nor does it matter what the material is.

The problem is as outlined in my original post. You simply can not delete a material layer or move it up or down in the order. The boxes are grayed out in the Material Editor for doing so. You can add a layer just fine though. So, this means that when building your materials, if you mess up or don't plan your layers out in the right order then you have to reset the material and start over.

I sent a support ticket into e-on and a sample file. One other user found this bug he said in an older version "Vue 6 Pro" as well.

If you have a known working basic .vue file you can email me to try out that works on your end with Vue 7.4 current build (not beta) I would be interested in trying it on my end. That way I can pass it along as well to see what the issue is perhaps. Also, as I said, this is the same problem I am having under both Mac and PC versions of Vue 7.4 so it is not an OS specific build issue it would seem at this time.

Thanks.

nPellegrino
07-23-2009, 12:14 PM
I think i see the problem you are running into.

I recorded my reply, a 10 min vid about working with Vue layers and mixed materials.

(Flash Player 10 recommended, should work with Flash Player 9.)
Sorry audio isn't great.

http://www.asilefx.net/forumposts/vue_material_layers/vue_material_layers.html

If this video doesn't solve your problems, let me know.

Cheers,
Nick

HiTekJeff
07-23-2009, 01:47 PM
I think i see the problem you are running into.

I recorded my reply, a 10 min vid about working with Vue layers and mixed materials.

(Flash Player 10 recommended, should work with Flash Player 9.)
Sorry audio isn't great.

http://www.asilefx.net/forumposts/vue_material_layers/vue_material_layers.html

If this video doesn't solve your problems, let me know.

Cheers,
Nick

Hi,

Thank you so much for this video tutorial. By golly I think you nailed it for me! That is one of the best explanations of what is going on and how editing in the "Advanced Material Editor" I have seen or read. I must have searched every forum, including e-on and even went through many other video tutorials and still did not know what this video showed. The 7:40 mark also hit the nail for my sort of bug in what is going on with "mixed materials" and removing by doing the "ecosystem" trick you did.

I would love to get this as a .mov file or something that I can download for my Mac and keep it as a reference. It had so much in it I will have to go back and watch several times just to get all of it for sure.

Thanks again for the help and figuring out what the issue was. I think it will be OK for me now (I hope).

nPellegrino
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
I've setup a link to download the previously posted video. If anyone would like to have a copy on hand, feel free to download.

Video format is MP4, you can run it through the included HTML page, or there are a few media players that can play them. More information on MP4 can be found here (http://www.asilefx.net/catalog/installation_codecs.php).

This file is around 20MB in an uncompressed zip file.

Click here to download the Vue Material Layering Video. (http://www.asilefx.net/forumposts/vue_materialeditor_layers.zip)

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2009, 03:36 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.