PDA

View Full Version : Question About VFS and Gnomon

JaysonMartinez
07-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Hi,

I still confuse, can someone please tell me which one is better, Gnomon or VFS for 3d modeling?

Thanks in advance

JaysonMartinez

SanjayChand
07-22-2009, 07:04 PM
I cant speak for VFS, but Gnomon has quite a few modeling classes, from intro to maya, poly1, poly2, 3 Zbrush classes, digital sets, environments for games, NURBS classes, plus some more advanced classes.

I took em all and they were all great.

JaysonMartinez
07-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Hi SanjayChand,

Are those the creatures on your cg portfolio pure made after taking gnomon online poly2 course?

Please advance

JaysonMartinez

SanjayChand
07-23-2009, 12:26 AM
Those creatures were mostly created in a higher level class after taking poly 1 and 2, as well as 3 Zbrush classes, all on-site at Gnomon.

eldee
07-23-2009, 09:26 AM
which is better, this or this. the answer is 'this'.

neither school will do you any good if you're not prepared to make personal sacrifices and literally devour the subject matter. If you do that, either school will produce a stellar reel. on the vfs side of things, search google or youtube for jelmer boskma, juliana kolakis, or alvaro buendia. all standout reels, completed in 6 months.

LolaToonHead
07-27-2009, 05:49 PM
Thanks for the links.
All three reels were outstanding.
Now I'm really psyched about starting the advanced character animation program at VFS next year!
Do you know of any student reels that have a more cartoony feel? Think Pixar and Dreamworks. You know, kids stuff.

eldee
07-27-2009, 06:11 PM
Oh yeah, there are plenty.

No Quarter (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDikHLHihj8)
The Switch (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ONqgaVU_XPk)
After Oz (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1lkEgKzix4)
Friends? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXsT7Q43icE)

or A guy named Julian who just graduated made one called Bread in Outer Space (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBwWOs2MVtw) which is absolutely hilarious. quirky, but awesome.

It's a shame VFS doesn't put the graduating class number on the video they post, some of the awesome reels I remember seeing, I can remember what class number it was but not the person who did it, or what it was called. There will be a several really good animation reels coming from 3D76, which graduates in August.

LolaToonHead
07-27-2009, 07:47 PM
Awesome. Thanks for sharing.
I particularly liked After Oz and yes, the ducks were funny.
Nice of you to include reels from folks in the one-year animation and VFX and the 6-month character animation programs.
I was wondering if folks in the program I'm going into actually produce shorts.
I guess the answer is yes.

eldee
07-27-2009, 10:16 PM
Yes, they produce shorts. I don't know a lot about the DCA program, only that the people going into DCA usually have quite a bit of animation experience already (the ones that make really nice looking shorts anyway). Someone once explained to me that the DCA program was put in place for classical animators to switch to 3D, though I'm not sure if it has evolved beyond that in recent years.

All of the reels I posted were actually from the year long 3D program except for The Switch, but even then all reels are created in 6 months (the first 6 months are all classes and whatnot).

julianpetschek
08-09-2009, 07:23 AM
i went to VFS and had a really good experience.

taxguy
08-09-2009, 02:41 PM
My daughter is taking the advanced Maya class during the summer at Gnomon. Let me share her experience with you and share what se things of Gnomon.

When you first see Gnomon, you wonder what you got yourself into. It is located in buildings that comprised an old TV studio. Some of the paint needed a good bit of redo and the steps can be quite small. The bathrooms,which are fairly well maintained, needed some paint too. In fact, the location of the building was located on a street that contained all lot of old studios, many of which were either abandoned or used for some other purpose.

However, the academics were outstanding.All computers used in school were new and had the most up-to-date software. Every professor that my daughter had was an industry professional who not only knew their subject very well but were good teachers.

Most interestingly, her Advanced Maya program was really nine separate weekly classes where new students entered and left from week to week. The average class size was an astonishingly low 6 students! In fact, on one week she had 5 students. From what I know of VFS, their class sizes are much larger.

Moreover, every student that we say seemed driven. No one was fooling around or even looked bored.

In addition, there was a lot of vibrancy that goes on there. For example during the day that I was there visiting, we saw an instructor drawing from a live nude model. Although he was the only one in the room, we were told that other students were free to participate with the instructor. In the evening, there was an event hosted by Gnomon about the making of UP. The director and some of the top animators were in the room discussing all the crafting that went into the movie. It was amazing.

I will admit that I don't know if these experience would be different for other quarters or for other programs. However, from what I saw and from what my daughter experienced, Gnomon seems like an amazing place.

CGTalk Moderation
08-09-2009, 02:41 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.