PDA

View Full Version : Sam Raimi to direct WarCraft Movie!

FabioMSilva
07-22-2009, 09:34 AM
I dont know if im the first to post this, but in the search nothing happened so here it goes:

"Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment®’s award-winning Warcraft® universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.
Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, which has broken box-office records around the world and garnered five Academy Award® nominations. Known for his imaginative filmmaking style, richly drawn characters and offbeat humor, Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic, The Evil Dead and produced 30 Days Of Night. He most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller, Drag Me To Hell.

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen.""

the rest of the text can be read here: http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/090721.html

I'm really glad they've found such a great director for WarCraft movie(I really didn't like spider-man 3, but the other 2 were pretty good...and army of darkness as well :P). Guess we'll have a lot of Good VFX and hopefully as good story with memorable characters(Chris Metzen is writing the script, so i don't know how that can go wrong).

Its really good to see their taking some game franchises seriously (WarCraft Sam, Bioshock Gore Verbinski) but the best treat in my opinion is Battle Angel Alitia with Cameron :D

Phrenzy84
07-22-2009, 10:45 AM
in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing

If people keep using that word inappropriately it will soon have no meaning. :)

But i am glad a good director is gonna be behind this and not.. Uwe Bol.

earwax69
07-22-2009, 11:00 AM
There is a good chance this will be the first good game to movie adaptation.

I hope they'll do something epic on the scale of LOTR.

mushroomgod
07-22-2009, 11:27 AM
If people keep using that word inappropriately it will soon have no meaning. :)

AWESOME!

"Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters"

okay.

j00st81
07-22-2009, 11:40 AM
since its live action I wonder what actors are going to be involved

Pyke
07-22-2009, 01:03 PM
since its live action I wonder what actors are going to be involved

Hopefully no big name actors. I would hate for Warcraft to turn into some star vehicle.

Unless its Gary Oldman. That man can do no wrong.

erilaz
07-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Unless its Gary Oldman. That man can do no wrong.

True, the man is a chameleon.

Lordiego01
07-22-2009, 09:40 PM
I wonder if Leroy Jenkins will make an appearance.

Boone
07-22-2009, 09:50 PM
This ain't going to be live action, is it? I think it should be 100% CG, or better still get Madhouse or Production IG to do it in a Anime style! :cool:

But anyway, yeah Sam Raimi is a welcome choice.

FabioMSilva
07-23-2009, 12:09 AM
its live action. And the producers are the guys from 300's (legendary pictures) i cant see what can go wrong here

Shletten
07-23-2009, 12:35 AM
Well the problem with live-action is that if the CGI isn't nearly as good as Blizzard's cinematics themselves were then it's going to suck. I'm one amongst many who think Blizzard should make animation movies.

Lone Deranger
07-23-2009, 12:36 AM
I was excited when I read "Warcraft movie".
Excitement waned when I read "Sam Raimi" and "live action".
Excitement dissappeared entirely, leaving naught but a vast gaping void when I read this:

...And the producers are the guys from 300's (legendary pictures)...

Shletten
07-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Very rude comment on AICN:
BET ANYONE A HANDJOB THIS GETS SHOT IN NEW ZEALAND
by ChoclateWoman Jul 21st, 2009, 10:51:18 PM
Because new zealand dollar is worth like 1 mexican peso or some shit like and the local's love being treated like servants by foriegners. Plus Raimi's gonna need all the help he can from Peter Jackson and Weta, so he doesn't come across like a total ****ing hack who doesn't know how to make a fantasy film. Plus, any excuse to use and abuse the NZ locals gets most aussies and americans really hard. I understand the urge, Sam, I really do. Now make a non hackey big budgeted fantasy film and you will earn fisting rights. You can even wear an orc mask while you fist.

Dennik
07-23-2009, 01:09 AM
At least we can rest assure that there is one game Owe Boll won't be able to touch.
I'm looking forward to the movie!

Aritz
07-23-2009, 12:54 PM
I hope to see Bruce Campbell as one of the main characters :)

j00st81
07-23-2009, 01:02 PM
when you think about it there's so many things that could go wrong in this movie, only thing we can do is hope blizzard has a big saying in the course this movie is going, I guess not alot right? once the movie rights are sold its all up to the director/producers?

Boone
07-23-2009, 09:14 PM

Definitely! :D

FabioMSilva
07-23-2009, 11:47 PM
I was excited when I read "Warcraft movie".
Excitement waned when I read "Sam Raimi" and "live action".
Excitement dissappeared entirely, leaving naught but a vast gaping void when I read this:

aww c'mon, this is not James Wong or Uwe Boll we're talking here. We're talking about real filmmakers.

Lone Deranger
07-24-2009, 12:07 AM
Sorry... just not a Raimi fan... and don't get me started on 300.

I'd rather Hollywood kept out of this as much as possible and they would let Blizzard go about it all by themselves.
Guess I'm just a purist. :shrug:

aww c'mon, this is not James Wong or Uwe Boll we're talking here. We're talking about real filmmakers.

ragdoll
07-24-2009, 12:15 AM
live action and warcraft? well i guess the average movie goer knows nothing about warcraft...Hopefully they capture the epicness that is wow. :D

hakanpersson
07-24-2009, 05:22 PM
Sorry... just not a Raimi fan... and don't get me started on 300.

I'd rather Hollywood kept out of this as much as possible and they would let Blizzard go about it all by themselves.
Guess I'm just a purist. :shrug:

I agree.
Honestly I think Raimi does pretty good movies, but when looking at the recipe, 100 million dollars budget, (zzz) Sam Raimi (spiderman = ZZzzZ) hollywood production (ZZzzzz..) = whatever random dissapointment I have seen the last few months at the cinema. It's really nothing that truly makes me excited. (If they would have picked Guillermo del Toro as director I would have been really excited:D)

I'm holding my breath, hoping it turns out to something amazing. Thought i'm afraid it will be typical mass market sell out.

SheepFactory
07-24-2009, 05:33 PM

He is playing this character:

http://www.artfulgamer.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/10/wow-jenkins.jpg

paintbox
07-24-2009, 10:05 PM
So is the movie about people who play World of Warcraft, or about the world of...warcraft?

A live action movie where we can see people play World of Warcraft...wow! :

http://www.theonion.com/content/video/warcraft_sequel_lets_gamers_play

Nemoid
07-25-2009, 02:16 PM
Raimi is a good director, this World of Warcraft film could end to be actually awesome, but i'd like him to direct another Evil dead movie. :)

HughBowen
01-14-2010, 03:50 AM
since Avatar shows that studios dont have to focus on just live action and lean toward motion capture....I think they will go in that direction now plus Raimi scrapped Spidey 4 and will most likely focus on this so I expect a 2012 maybe 2013 release

CGTalk Moderation
01-14-2010, 03:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.