PDA

View Full Version : Modern Game Character Creation course question

disanski
07-22-2009, 08:06 AM
Hi everybody.
Thank you for the great forum first.
I am so exited about this Modern Game Character Creation course,and I have basic understanding of 3ds Max and Zbrush, but there is something that bothers me. It says that in the first week we will have to "create a concept of how he/she/it would look if subjected to a next gen make over" .......my problem is that I can't draw and not sure if so should I sign up for the class? This is like the only think form everything listed in the course outline that I am not sure how to handle.
The next issue that I have is that I never played games before so it is difficult for me to choose a retro video game character - I actually tried to search in Google but not to many things came up. Could someone point me to few retro video games from which I could choose a character.
Thank you in advance and have a wonderful day

KyronGray
07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
Hey disanski,
Not every modeler is a great conceptual artist (I can't draw to save myself! lol) but there are ways to create concepts by mashing photo reference together as well or by doing simple broad stroke drawings in photoshop to flesh out the major forms you plan to create in 3d.

You never know, doing the course might enlighten you on better techniques for creating your character on the canvas first. As long as you have some good reference images and a clear idea of what you want your final image to look like i'd say the focus of the course would be more on the 3d side of things and you would only really be as limited as your imagination ;)

I'm considering enrolling also, but exchange rates for me bump it to around $615au which seems a little excessive when I could pick up the new gnomon next gen character vid for a fraction of the price. You of course miss the classroom vibe, community and tutor at your disposal though. :( If it was a wee bit cheaper the decision wouldn't be so hard! lol

As for classic game characters try googling for old console games to get a-z lists of game titles you can browse through :)

disanski
07-22-2009, 10:32 AM
Thanks for the encouragement words :)
It is a little expensive for me as well but even if I am not specifically aiming at game character modeling this course will be very helpful for me cause of the topics that will be covered in it. There are a lot of good tutorials for the pipeline for character modeling but so far the only once I have found are representing the workflow between Maya and ZBrush. I am mostly using 3ds Max and this will be great opportunity to learn how to use it together with ZBrush. Also being able to ask questions is ........ well worted. :)
Thank you once again and I guess I am in.

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2009, 10:32 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.