PDA

View Full Version : Maya, Mental Ray and Fatal Error crashes

Narfnarf
07-21-2009, 02:07 PM
I have been having problems lately with the FATAL ERROR message and crashes in Maya. I'm using a single texture for a characters entire body which is 3000 x 3000, it crashes every time.

So I looked online and saw that if you change your RenderGlobals settings from MEL (type: select mentalrayGlobals; ) then go to Attributes, you can change the Memory Limits> Physical Memory settings to something higher than 800, if you have 2 or 3 Gb of RAM, and also change Acceleration options> Acceleration method> to 'Large BSP' and BSP size to 15, BSP depth to 35.

It seems to work for now when I changed my texture size down to 2000 x 2000, but when I load it into diffuse colour on the misss Fast skin material and bump up the value to 0.8 it crashes again?? :banghead:

How do people get around this on machines with 2Gb of RAM? Does a 64 bit system make a difference? Mine is Windows XP and 32 bit

Thanks

Ash-Man
07-21-2009, 02:14 PM
that is a big texture file, convert it to map

using imf_copy -r filename.tga newFile.map

Narfnarf
07-21-2009, 02:24 PM
that is a big texture file, convert it to map

using imf_copy -r filename.tga newFile.map

Thanks for the reply, is that a MEL command? I'm still learning Maya, its tough in places

ytsejam1976
07-21-2009, 02:39 PM
no, from command windows:
Example
imf_copy -r c:\textures\myfile.jpg c:\textures\myfile.map

Automatic conversion.
Or search TOI texture tool that is a MEL scripts for maya and work in to maya. With other features as gamma correction node o frameBuffer

Narfnarf
07-21-2009, 03:21 PM
Cool, thanks, I never heard of that one. I've used Magic File renamer for those kind of things before. Is that a similar function?

InfernalDarkness
07-21-2009, 08:10 PM
File Renamer isn't the same as converting a file to .map format, which is a memory-mapped format mental ray uses. The reason MR likes this format better is because it can flush the memory anytime (.map is a memory-mapped file, not a bitmapped file), as opposed to say a large .jpg, .tif, or .bmp file, which it would have to load entirely and keep in RAM, at least long enough to process before flushing.

Photoshop has a .map export script which can be useful.

With WinXP 32-bit, you're looking at Maya using a maximum of 1.5GB of RAM, even if you have the full 4GB addressable by Windows installed into your system.

The jump to 64-bit is just that, a "jump". You won't max out your RAM usage in Maya 64-bit (8GB would be a starting point for RAM installed into a 64-bit machine) at 1.5GB anymore, but it will top out at say 7.3GB or so instead. On a 16GB setup, you'd top out at 15.3-ish.

If you were using Win7 64-bit, with only 4GB of installed RAM, you would be able to top out Maya at 3.3GB, more than double what 32-bit Windows will give you.

Narfnarf
07-21-2009, 08:51 PM
Thanks for all the info, thats great to know. I'll select my next computer with care.
:thumbsup:

File Renamer isn't the same as converting a file to .map format, which is a memory-mapped format mental ray uses. The reason MR likes this format better is because it can flush the memory anytime (.map is a memory-mapped file, not a bitmapped file), as opposed to say a large .jpg, .tif, or .bmp file, which it would have to load entirely and keep in RAM, at least long enough to process before flushing.

Photoshop has a .map export script which can be useful.

With WinXP 32-bit, you're looking at Maya using a maximum of 1.5GB of RAM, even if you have the full 4GB addressable by Windows installed into your system.

The jump to 64-bit is just that, a "jump". You won't max out your RAM usage in Maya 64-bit (8GB would be a starting point for RAM installed into a 64-bit machine) at 1.5GB anymore, but it will top out at say 7.3GB or so instead. On a 16GB setup, you'd top out at 15.3-ish.

If you were using Win7 64-bit, with only 4GB of installed RAM, you would be able to top out Maya at 3.3GB, more than double what 32-bit Windows will give you.

cheebamonkey
07-21-2009, 09:14 PM
http://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/rendering/misc/FileTextureManager-1012.html

You'll love it.

cgbeige
07-22-2009, 08:45 PM
for anyone on the Mac viewing this thread, I made an Automator script for the Finder that does map conversion from a right click.

http://www.3eige.com/ars/automator_workflows.zip

Narfnarf
07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
http://highend3d.com/maya/downloads/mel_scripts/rendering/misc/FileTextureManager-1012.html

You'll love it.

Thanks, some good stuff there

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2009, 12:20 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.