PDA

View Full Version : John Goodson :: Artist Profile

PaulHellard
07-21-2009, 06:24 AM
Hey there,

John Goodson has centered his career and his life on model making and painting, practical and digital in ILM and everywhere else. His is a story worth checking out.

BREAKING NEWS: John Goodson will be available to answer your questions about his career in model work in our relaunched 'Meet the Artist (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=165&t=788077)' LIVE thread. While he will be logging on later in the week, please post your questions and he will check them out and answer them in the thread as soon as he logs in.

http://features.cgsociety.org//images/plugs/feature/goodson_plugA.jpg (http://features.cgsociety.org/story.php?story_id=5177)

AIR
07-21-2009, 09:56 AM
Cant get tired of these articles. Hats down John Goodson.

Wiz-Wiz-Wiz
07-21-2009, 06:52 PM
A great article, as ever they help to inspire!

hayashiox
07-21-2009, 09:59 PM
By 2003, it had become increasingly difficult to make a living working in the practical model shop; digital visual effects were taking over.

This is sad. But look at the bright side we are still using them.

aesis412
07-22-2009, 03:39 AM
great article and really inspiring, thanks for sharing this.

trevanian
07-22-2009, 01:01 PM
The Woodall stuff about interference paint look sounds like he is talking about the original MOVIE ship, not the series one. On the show, it was pretty 'matte' flat looking, whereas Paul Olsen, assisted by Ron Gress, spent months airbrushing the first movie E with all these special paints (the olsenarts site has the story.)

The shots of the ship in the new movie, at least the ones I saw in the trailer and ads, all seem very gauzy, to me, like there is atmosphere or a screen door between the camera and the ship. Looks very stylized and not all that credible to me, pretty painterly and not terribly photorealistic. Then again, I guess this is a new sensibility (I saw the first 7min on youtube on the weekend and every shot seemed to be ruined with lens flare, inside the ships and out.)

BrettSinclair
07-23-2009, 07:28 AM
Wow, Great read. Very inspiring. The entire process you went through in your life reads like you were actually meant to be at the empire. I'm really jealous. haha.

The terminator motos were awesome. All the little mechanical pieces that were involved in the model made it really believable.

How much mechanical knowledge is applied to your hard surface models? Do you try think of how the models would work in real life first or do you just create a design and work it from there? I often feel like i need a course in mechanical engineering to build something like this. A robot or vehicle without function just looks odd.

The effects in star trek were out of this world and is definitely my effects movie of the year. Everything was just epic! The designs of the ships, robots and bikes were just so damn cool.

Congrats to you and may your career keep getting better with every year. Thank you for taking the time to do this interview.

Cheers,

Brett

PaulHellard
07-23-2009, 07:45 AM
Hi Brett, nice to meet you,

You might just want to re-pose that question to John Goodson direct to him in the 'Meet the Artist' thread here. (http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?f=165&t=788077) He's watching for the week and can answer your queries 'live'-ish.

I'll merge the 'Discuss This' and thr 'Meet the Artist' in future features.

BrettSinclair
07-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Ah gotcha. Thanks Paul. Now I feel like a n00b. hahaha.:blush:

Artbot
07-24-2009, 04:17 AM
Nice to see a feature on John. In the few few times our paths crossed around the Lucas empire, he always seemed thrilled to share what he was working on. I was fortunate enough to run into him once at the Ranch and he showed me the landing ship prototype from Ep1 he was building. As a former model builder myself, I was floored by his skill and attention to detail, and his enthusiasm for his work seemed impossible for him to contain. It's very sad to see the physical model shops disappear, but good to know the immense talent of these modelers is not wasted.

malducin
07-24-2009, 04:36 AM
Nice to see a feature on John. In the few few times our paths crossed around the Lucas empire, he always seemed thrilled to share what he was working on. I was fortunate enough to run into him once at the Ranch and he showed me the landing ship prototype from Ep1 he was building. As a former model builder myself, I was floored by his skill and attention to detail, and his enthusiasm for his work seemed impossible for him to contain. It's very sad to see the physical model shops disappear, but good to know the immense talent of these modelers is not wasted.

Yeah he's a very cool guy, briefly met him when I visited the model shop many years ago.

Well technically the Model Shop hasn't disappeared, it just got spun off to make it more competitive and they still provide model work on a lot of ILM projects

Djampa
08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
Mr. Hellard,

That's another great article, thanks !

Cheers, success !

CGTalk Moderation
08-03-2009, 08:59 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.