PDA

View Full Version : Shave and a haircut for max...argh!

Werner
07-30-2003, 12:38 PM
I wish Joe would update this for Lightwave. I can just imagine the cool stuff Brazil r/s will push out with this hair plugin.

Shave and a haircut (http://www.splutterfish.com/sf/sf_gen_page.php3?printer=1&page=shave_prod_info/index)

pff
07-30-2003, 01:53 PM
What about Sasquatch then? Isnīt that kewl? Asks a maybe-soon-to-be-former 3ds software user. Think the imagery of some of the work done with Sas is..... astonishing! Of course i have no clue (yet) just wondering?

If itīs any comfort to you you would have to pay like about 4000 (probably 4500) Euros + 25% VAT for 3ds here, then add a bunch of plugs needed... + Shave then. Wich is a bargain tho compared at $485. However then itīs taxes etc.... So you see, Shave for 3ds is an expensive solution in the end. I am sure you wouldnīt wanna swap with any of US ;)

pff

--migrate--but:where2?

Werner
07-30-2003, 03:12 PM
Originally posted by pff
[B]What about Sasquatch then? Isnīt that kewl? Asks a maybe-soon-to-be-former 3ds software user. Think the imagery of some of the work done with Sas is..... astonishing! Of course i have no clue (yet) just wondering?

no, you are right! Sasquatch does give awesome results. The problem with Sasquatch lies on the dynamic side. To get good movement is almost impossible. Also you have to create a sh!t load of 2 point poly guides, to cover a head...Once you're done with all the 2 point poly guides, you wonder why couldn’t just render the guides. It's like creating all the hair strands one by one.

I've seen the old Lightwave version of Shave and a haircut, as well as the XSI version. It's an amazing add-on.

js33
07-30-2003, 03:22 PM
Well now there is the hairspray plugin by Steve Hurley to spray guides on and with the new dynamic in LW making them move should be no problem.:thumbsup:

I played around with S&AHC when it was available and I didn't like the seperate app and it was quite buggy at the time.

Cheers,
JS

Infinity3d4life
07-30-2003, 03:44 PM
I agree with you Werner, i haven't gotten to see just what shave and haircut can do yet, but i have heard so many good things about it.. It seems that lightwave is getting passed by, and that is seriously depressing me..

Sil3
07-30-2003, 04:47 PM
With the new Dynamic tools in LW 8 getting movement from SAS hair should be a breeze (i hope).

SAS renders a LOT faster than Shave, that is one of the main points for SAS, oh and being a completed full product is the other, Shave never really passed the beta stuff while on LW.

Dont forget that Shave on XSI was implemented by XSI programmers and itīs the best Shave implementation out there, with MAX is was Splutterfish who made the implementation, the same to CD4 i think (C4D programmers), Joe Alter is working on MAYAīs implementation, and looking at itīs mailing list, it resembles a lot to the LWīs Shave mailing list when it was available, almost everyday comes out a new version.

pff
07-30-2003, 06:15 PM
Hmmmm i dinīt know all that. Thanx for the info! Pretty sure Splutterfish did a good job on ShaveMax. Itīs just all the rest surrounding 3ds making me think in terms of... migration somewhere... possibly to these forums ;)

Must be great with (hairy)options? Anyone in particular done great hair-doīs with these plugs?

Btw I must say i envy and congratulate the Lightwave Community & Newtek you seem to have had fun over Sig, and LW8 looks to be a major kicka** upgrade :)
I am soooo jelous of you

pff

webfox
07-30-2003, 08:28 PM
It seems that lightwave is getting passed by

Alter got himself into a snit after Sas lite was released with LW and Shave wasn't. I don't know the particulars of it all, but LW didn't get passed by. Shave did. There could be plenty of reasons for this. Worley has a longstanding track record with Newtek, price of the lite version's inclusion with LW... who knows?

Alter is punishing his LW user base in an effort to punish Newtek.

If people bought their 3D apps based on which hair plugin were available, or if people *left* their 3D app to use a hair plugin on another app, then I guess I could see his reasoning. Haven't seen any credible evidence to support that notion, though.

:shrug:

CGTalk Moderation
01-15-2006, 07:00 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.