PDA

View Full Version : newbie request..tips & help for hard surface modeling

himadrism
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
hello all..i've been trying to learn modeling in maya for the last three months & so far i've realised that i am not very comfortable with hard surface modeling.i seem to be doing fine with organics(not very great,but still improving)...while in inorganics, i am confused everytime i see something new,i especially have trouble modeling objects that have a lot of curvy surfaces with sharp & smooth surfaces together, with lots of details & i can't figure out exactly where to start from...since i am learning everything on my own & the internet is my only teacher, it is sometimes really frustrating. can you guys give me some suggestions to improve my skills in inorganics, so i can visualise a 2d object in 3d space & effectively model it.
thank you.

himadrism
07-21-2009, 04:04 PM
isn't anyone going to help me?

himadrism
07-22-2009, 04:57 AM
18 views & no replies...why??

razeverius
07-22-2009, 02:20 PM
hi there, I'm no professional but I've used maya for a year already and I had the same problem visualizing a 2d object in 3d. Well what I've been doing is whenever I have concept arts that I turn into 3d I like to make a lot of quick sketches of it from different angles so that when I start modeling it out I can visualize it properly. If you're going to model something from movies or in everyday life it's best to have lots of reference pictures in different angles of a certain object that you want to model out. And a decent amount of practice spent on it is what's really best. Hope that helps you man :)

here's a link that I love going thru whenever I need some ideas for modeling something:

http://www.free3dtutorials.com/modeling/maya/?page=2

try out the hailfire droid :)

himadrism
07-22-2009, 05:52 PM
thanx a lot for replying..i've practised the hailfire droid tutorial..its indeed useful..so now my question is- can visualisation & observation skills be mastered through a lot of practice or is it a gift that someone is born with...i have a technical bent of mind & am not very artistically inclined...though i am not very bad either...so is it all practice then?can you offer me some tips to improve my visualisation & observation skills?right now i am trying to model most things in perspective,objects that don't have blueprints or too many references...trying to see what an object will look like in 3d...is this way of practicing correct?

razeverius
07-22-2009, 05:58 PM
I'd have to go with practicing :) since I really sucked at it before. Hhhmm, ok, suppose your modeling a car and you have a lot of reference pix try looking at them again and again and try to get the "feel" of how you think the body of the car is curved. If you want to make like the front bumpers but have a hard time imagining it. Look at reference pictures of the front bumper then a quarter view of it then finally a side view so that you can visualize how it sort of feels I hope you understand what I'm trying to say but that's just the way i do it at times. Like i try to imagine i can touch the object and feel how it curves, bends or is shapd out :)

himadrism
07-22-2009, 08:51 PM
thanx..that cheered me up quite a bit..its definitely going to be a lot of work..but as they say...everything is difficult before they are easy.....

razeverius
07-22-2009, 11:49 PM
Hope what I said will be able to help you out. Yeah everything has to be hard at first I guess. You can also post your works on the 3D WIPs and you'd get comments from artists if you have questions or if they have suggestions to make your model better :)

KThnxBye
07-23-2009, 04:39 AM
An other resource for hard surface subD modeling help :D: http://boards.polycount.net/showthread.php?t=56014

himadrism
07-23-2009, 10:50 AM
thanx..KThnxBye[/url][url="http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=382850"] (http://forums.cgsociety.org/member.php?u=382850)...that link was awesome

CGTalk Moderation
07-23-2009, 10:50 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.