PDA

View Full Version : V-Ray for Maya Countdown Begins!

VisualDynamics
07-20-2009, 07:12 AM
http://www.vray.com/news/media/vray_for_maya_countdown/vray_for_maya_logo.png

The official release of V-Ray for Maya is almost here! The V-Ray Rendering System offers the fastest photo-realistic rendering technology in the world. Coupled with the Maya platform, V-Ray for Maya provides an unprecedented amount of power for your advanced rendering needs.

Click here for the countdown:
http://www.vray.com/vray_for_maya/buy_vray_for_maya.shtml

AJ
07-20-2009, 08:52 AM
"Look! This is nearly news!"

brudney
07-20-2009, 09:08 AM
that's cool... but... any news on vray for xsi? :shrug:

Lone Deranger
07-20-2009, 09:17 AM
Good stuff! 27 days... so no Siggraph release then.
But yeah... what about the SoftImage version?

Werner
07-20-2009, 09:49 AM
you can subscribe here to get notice when it's released

http://www.vray.com/vray_for_xsi/

VisualDynamics
07-20-2009, 10:35 AM
Good stuff! 27 days... so no Siggraph release then.
But yeah... what about the SoftImage version?

There will be a live demonstration of V-Ray for Maya at Chaos Group's presentation on August 6th in New Orleans. The official release however is on August 17.

Not a whole lot of info on V-Ray for XSI at the moment as it is still in Beta. However, as Werner mentioned, we have a free V-Ray for XSI notification service and newsletter available for posting news once more information becomes available.

Sincerely,
Scott

dyei
07-20-2009, 12:11 PM
"The V-Ray Rendering System offers the fastest photo-realistic rendering technology in the world."

i wonder what is mental images and master zap thinking about this....

vfx
07-20-2009, 12:34 PM
Great news!
Will there be a demo version available?

Lone Deranger
07-20-2009, 12:45 PM
No doubt he'll have something to say about that. :)

Personally however, I welcome all these "new generation" rendering engines. And not just Vray. Some very impressive Arnold stuff is being posted on the SoftImage mailing list. Can't wait to get my hands on that and get an alternative to MR. Which I find is getting rather long in the tooth and seems to be struggling to keep up so to speak. I'm not the only one who seems to think this way.

pokoy
07-20-2009, 02:02 PM
...Some very impressive Arnold stuff is being posted on the SoftImage mailing list...

any official link to those examples?

DuttyFoot
07-20-2009, 02:39 PM
aawww man this sounds like good news

Stimpy
07-20-2009, 03:56 PM

its still very much in beta und hush hush, just one user was allowed to post examples and answer some questions on the list... so no, nothing really official...

Lone Deranger
07-20-2009, 04:14 PM
Indeed. However, you can see Arnold at work by clicking on this link (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/cloudywithachanceofmeatballs/). :bounce:

its still very much in beta und hush hush, just one user was allowed to post examples and answer some questions on the list... so no, nothing really official...

pokoy
07-20-2009, 04:34 PM
Indeed. However, you can see Arnold at work by clicking on this link (http://www.apple.com/trailers/sony_pictures/cloudywithachanceofmeatballs/). :bounce:

thanks guys - and sorry for the OT talk...

SheepFactory
07-20-2009, 07:05 PM
This is the duke nukem forever of maya renderers.

oktawu
07-20-2009, 09:50 PM
....that would be brazil

Koogle
07-21-2009, 12:41 AM
....that would be brazil

yes that's what I was thinking...

anyway I can't stand mentalRay or its rubbish maya integration and that is what I though years ago.. shows just how much sweet feck all has really changed or improved... maybe its not entirely mR fault and Maya/Autodesk who haven't bothered to really improve the situation, heck maybe I'm just getting sick of maya and all the areas its left for shit like material tex setups etc etc etc..

really not much info on vray for maya.. but here is hoping vray is upping the bar, helping to speed workflow up with less retardation and quicker rendering setups. Some people just want to get things done to a high quality without spending extra time fagging about with settings and tests.

"i wonder what is mental images and master zap thinking about this...."

couldn't care less.

dyei
07-21-2009, 01:05 AM
"i wonder what is mental images and master zap thinking about this...."

couldn't care less.

hahah you should, because, well i dont know, but will v ray for maya be able to render all kind of stuff? or just geometry for arquitecture renderings? i dont know very much about v ray but is it able to render volumetric shaders, fluids and particles? what about motion blur for animations?

will be able v ray to replace mental ray at 100%?

is it just for architecture or is it capable to render vfx stuff?

Lone Deranger
07-21-2009, 01:18 AM
MentalRay isn't even able to replace the Maya Software renderer entirely. PaintFX, to give an example, still isn't supported. And no, converting to polygons doesn't count.
It boggles my mind that we get served viewcubes instead of useful (and loooong overdue) functionality.
Developers work in mysterious ways it seems. :D

will be able v ray to replace mental ray at 100%?

hanskloss
07-21-2009, 01:53 AM
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Autodesk announced the acquisition of Chaos Group during this years Siggraph...lol:) And as far as shitty MR integration in Maya...well. There is a good story behind that, but it's not for public forums. :)

gashworm
07-21-2009, 03:54 AM
WOW, that`s been a long time coming I though it was dead a buried. If I remember correctly the public beta was around in 2006.

buonnguqua
07-21-2009, 04:33 AM
i dont know very much about v ray but is it able to render volumetric shaders, fluids and particles?
Vray for Maya beta can't render it.
what about motion blur for animations?
Yes, beta can

simonenastasi
07-21-2009, 07:39 AM
....that would be brazil
If you're talking about the maya version you're right. In the meantime Rhino users are pretty happy of it :D

Ptichat
07-21-2009, 07:50 AM
naaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa :)

Actually testing the RC ( Rc mean almost ready in that case !!) it will come and support lot of feature from Maya. Not everythings unfortunately but I switch on it as soon as it's released :)

steveblake
07-21-2009, 10:01 AM
arnold beta renders: http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?p=75690

cheebamonkey
07-21-2009, 10:32 AM

same thing most other companies have thought about it for the past 6 years it's been vaporware? We'll see what happens?

xsitar
07-21-2009, 06:31 PM
And also duke nukem forever for XSI.

I've been waiting for Vray-XSI for ages ever since it was announced years and years ago.

Why are they so slow?

ulb
07-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Why are they so slow?I agree they are slow, but they deliver very good and well-finished products you can rely on. I prefer that A LOT to the delivering of buggy unfinished products.

I use it with 3dsmax, and vray has been the most reliable software I ever used so far in 3d.

I don't know about vray for maya, but I would be surprised if there was a lot of complaints due to stability issues.

brudney
07-21-2009, 07:28 PM
And also duke nukem forever for XSI.

I've been waiting for Vray-XSI for ages ever since it was announced years and years ago.

Why are they so slow?

a bit OT, but the real duke nukem 4ever is 'finalrender for xsi' hands down :curious:
I wish the devs reminded about their work every now and then... well, the last time cebas mentioned anything about fR4xsi was siggraph08. maybe this year they will reveal a couple of new images again... oh well.

sorry fot the OT.

noizFACTORY
07-21-2009, 08:48 PM
arnold beta renders: http://www.cgauiwtalk.com/showthread.php?p=75690

The render times in there are unbelievable!

Sil3
07-21-2009, 09:00 PM
The render times in there are unbelievable!

Not to mention quality, ive seen those some days ago and I was realllllllly impressed :buttrock: :buttrock:

Cygnusrk727
07-21-2009, 09:07 PM
Is this going to be Maya 2009 compatible? Or only for a soon to be released Maya 2010?

hanskloss
07-21-2009, 10:08 PM
My only question is why aren't we seeing any character renders with Vray? Almost every Vray render I've seen is either of cars or architectural interiors/exteriors. Show me environmental effects using Vray. I haven't heard of any major motion picture or animation project using Vray. Am I missing something, perhaps looking at the wrong galleries?

ulb
07-21-2009, 10:59 PM
My only question is why aren't we seeing any character renders with Vray? Almost every Vray render I've seen is either of cars or architectural interiors/exteriors. Show me environmental effects using Vray. I haven't heard of any major motion picture or animation project using Vray. Am I missing something, perhaps looking at the wrong galleries?
some nice vray work there:

http://gjpetch.cgsociety.org/gallery/401742/
or here:
http://canderled.cgsociety.org/gallery/484714/

Even if I admit there are not so many in the galleries, I personnally think Vray is more than suited for any character work, and perfect for vfx.

fahr
07-21-2009, 11:43 PM
Can the v-ray beta render fur/hair?

If not, NO SALE! :)

MrPositive
07-22-2009, 08:32 AM

Well considering Maya is pretty much the VFX film standard software, and Vray is not supported in Maya till August 17th, well there ya go. And as of right now, I don't think anything touches Master Zap's SSS fast skin shader in MR, which is continually being tinkered with and improved. In my opinion, it may be quite a while till something comes even close to MR in character renderings other than Renderman. Beautiful Vray renders of interiors and product renders will be great for the Maya user base however. Especially considering how convoluted and time consuming it can be in setting up lighting for interiors and products in MR.

Airflow
07-22-2009, 08:56 AM
Lol, wait till you use it, then you will understand. It can more than deliver.
Hope Richard dont mind.
http://www.richardrosenman.com/animation/
almost exclusively rendered in vray.

thematt
07-22-2009, 09:10 AM
yes you can check Magiclab work in france all render in Vray also, akama studio also render in Vray (both in france) there are hundreed of exemple..so yes I guess Vray can deliver in animation no doubt.

cheers

www.magiclab3d.com (http://www.magiclab3d.com)

www.akamastudio.com/ (http://www.akamastudio.com/)

vfx
07-22-2009, 09:19 AM
Lol, wait till you use it, then you will understand. It can more than deliver.
Hope Richard dont mind.
http://www.richardrosenman.com/animation/
almost exclusively rendered in vray.

Again those are mainly arch, vehicle renders - not characters as discussed above.

For me personally, I learnt Max at Uni along with Vray and loved the setup and ease of use etc etc - it never hampered my workflow. Then I moved over to Maya post uni so that I was working in the fx industry standard. At which point, I was watching Max from the sidelines, and I have to say I feel Maya has been left to rot in comparison to how much stronger Max now is (for example all this talk of Max 2010 and no Maya?), and MR has taken me a HUGE time to learn when you want to do things correctly (this was made easier as more shaders were released). I'm hoping that with the release of Vray for Maya, we'll see some sort of 'kick up the butt' effect with other renderers available for Maya.

Cheesestraws
07-22-2009, 09:25 AM
(for example all this talk of Max 2010 and no Maya?)

Well that would be because Max has its yearly release around April and Maya has its yearly release at Siggraph. :curious:

So in a couple of weeks you will be hearing about Maya 2010.

Airflow
07-22-2009, 09:55 AM
Um, i distinctly saw alot of characters on there be sure to look through, and tbh what is the point of this argument. Sure you can do characters in Vray, as you can in any of the render solutions. Just because some people think its only for vis does not make that a reality.
I find the skin comparable if not better than the mr solution, but thats personal taste.
Anyway back on topic.

vfx
07-22-2009, 11:11 AM
Well that would be because Max has its yearly release around April and Maya has its yearly release at Siggraph. :curious:

So in a couple of weeks you will be hearing about Maya 2010.

Yeah I just remember summer being the time we'd hear some news.. guess I'm jumping the gun then hey.. :surprised

ronaldomiranda
07-22-2009, 11:30 AM
Anyone knows recent hollywood productions that has been using vray as main render?

I am bit curious, cause i am always has been reading the use of mental ray, renderman and 3delight.

and of course, proprietary software :)

^Lele^
07-22-2009, 01:12 PM
Sure do, but am not sure i am at liberty to talk about it.
And likely wouldn't do that here, of all places, where Mr and Maya are apparently the ONLY way to professional movie making. :)

Airflow
07-22-2009, 01:47 PM
Ask Frantic what films its been used on, they use it but I dont know if the used it on any films.
Yeah Lele, its like the sofware war is now vray vs mray, they are both good, and there is enough room for vray to expand. Im sure the new inclusion to maya will speed that up quite a bit. The new finalRender which Im sure is gonna be much faster (its pretty nippy as it is with sp2) and rumblings from Arnold... Rendering just got fashionable.

noizFACTORY
07-22-2009, 05:25 PM
I don't understand the skepticism here.

Though I have never used V-Ray why would it not be able to render organic stuff like human skin or hair? These are things which more or less boil down to a good shader that can handle such stuff and one needs to write these shaders to suit their needs if the out of the box ones are not fast enough or high quality enough for them.

What does count, though, is efficiently rendering these in an acceptable amount of time at a quality that is good enough for you, i.e. production friendly. And if V-Ray does that or not is something we would find out only after it is released.

In any case, I guess we maya users would have more to choose from. And that, usually, is a good thing.

-Sachin

AJ
07-22-2009, 05:45 PM
And as of right now, I don't think anything touches Master Zap's SSS fast skin shader in MR, which is continually being tinkered with and improved.There definitely aren't as many settings/variables but in terms of speed & quality V-Ray's new SSS shader is definitely comparable to the MR fast skin shader imo.

You're right, there aren't a bucketload of v-ray users who use it for character work, but we'll (hopefully) start seeing more & more as it's application & user base expands.

gandhics
07-22-2009, 06:30 PM
Checkout TigarHare Studio all rendered in VRay
http://tigarhare.thetical.com/index.html

We, Encore Hollywood, also use VRay for everything.
We mainly works for TV show, and HOUSE M.D. is our main show.
All inside body render has been rendered in VRay.

SanjayChand
07-22-2009, 06:37 PM
I believe Scanline VFX in LA used VRAY quite a bit for 2012.

^Lele^
07-23-2009, 08:39 AM
Ask Frantic what films its been used on, they use it but I dont know if the used it on any films.
I well do, as was TDing in there.
Yeah Lele, its like the sofware war is now vray vs mray, they are both good, and there is enough room for vray to expand. Im sure the new inclusion to maya will speed that up quite a bit. The new finalRender which Im sure is gonna be much faster (its pretty nippy as it is with sp2) and rumblings from Arnold... Rendering just got fashionable.
As far as i am concerned, one more option is jolly good, whatever the brand, whatever the approach to rendering.
Ofc in here sarcasm rather than informed opinion seems to rule of late, so i'd rather zip it :)

Zimod
07-23-2009, 09:49 AM
is cool it's good news

Airflow
07-23-2009, 11:36 AM
This is pretty character based. Think it covers everything vray can do, and Im sure it will handle maya hair.
http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=3099&page=

raymarcher
07-23-2009, 09:19 PM
It wouldn't surprise me one bit if Autodesk announced the acquisition of Chaos Group during this years Siggraph...lol:) And as far as shitty MR integration in Maya...well. There is a good story behind that, but it's not for public forums. :)

tell me more :)

fahr
07-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Sorry to bump an earlier unanswered question but...

Does V-Ray for Maya support hair/fur?

ChaosGroup
07-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Dear all,

Some answers to your questions:

Maya hair/fur is not supported for now, but will be supported in the near future
No fluids are supported currently, but will be supported in the near future as well.
Volumetric shaders - only our original V-Ray ones.
Particles- partially supported - only spherical particles and particle instancer are supported (arbitrary objects can be instanced, including v-ray proxy objects)
PaintFX - they have to be converted to polygons first
For Maya 2010 we use SDK for Maya 2010 accordingly.

Regards,
The Chaos Group Team

hanskloss
07-24-2009, 04:24 PM
Dear all,

Some answers to your questions:

Maya hair/fur is not supported for now, but will be supported in the near future
No fluids are supported currently, but will be supported in the near future as well.
Volumetric shaders - only our original V-Ray ones.
Particles- partially supported - only spherical particles and particle instancer are supported (arbitrary objects can be instanced, including v-ray proxy objects)
PaintFX - they have to be converted to polygons first
For Maya 2010 we use SDK for Maya 2010 accordingly.

Regards,
The Chaos Group Team

Pretty limited support. No sale. I appreciate the effort, but I'll stick to Mental Ray even though it's a tad bit more frustrating to use.

ambient-whisper
07-24-2009, 04:45 PM
Pretty limited support. No sale. I appreciate the effort, but I'll stick to Mental Ray even though it's a tad bit more frustrating to use.

not really limited support imo. theres sooo much crap to cover for all these apps that its more important to get the base done first, and then work your way up from there.

i dont remember the last time any 3rd party renderer supported all of the custom crap that any application has ( hair, post fx, etc. ). Its always base 3d stuff that all apps have in common that comes first, and then the fancy features would come next.

does mental ray support paint fx yet? or any of the fancy stuff? it didnt for the longest time.

hanskloss
07-24-2009, 05:35 PM
Martin I agree, but if I have mentalRay that already comes with Maya and renders fur, why would I spend another $1000 on vRay that doesn't? I really appreciate the effort, and vRay may be the solution people working in architectural visualization have been waiting for, but for me it's not worth the cost. I also agree with you that they need to start with a base, as everyone else does and did in the past. If the price reflects the limitations it may be a viable solution, if not I don't think many people will spend their money on it, especially in the current economic situation when everyone wants the most for their buck.

dyei
07-24-2009, 06:44 PM
why are you arguing about v ray? arnold seems to be a lot lot better.

this gona be a great render engines war!

im very very curious about what master zap have to say about this.

ambient-whisper
07-24-2009, 07:13 PM
Martin I agree, but if I have mentalRay that already comes with Maya and renders fur, why would I spend another $1000 on vRay that doesn't? I really appreciate the effort, and vRay may be the solution people working in architectural visualization have been waiting for, but for me it's not worth the cost. I also agree with you that they need to start with a base, as everyone else does and did in the past. If the price reflects the limitations it may be a viable solution, if not I don't think many people will spend their money on it, especially in the current economic situation when everyone wants the most for their buck.

quick question. does it not support fur at all? or is it able to render fur in the same way that it does for cinema4d, where you can render the fur as geometry instead?! ( which means that it can be affected by GI and such. ) i guess the nice thing is that for the cost of 1000 ( which is quite a bit up front ) would be worth it in the long run because in the past you didnt have to pay very often for upgrades ( if at all ).

hanskloss
07-24-2009, 07:28 PM
quick question. does it not support fur at all? or is it able to render fur in the same way that it does for cinema4d, where you can render the fur as geometry instead?! ( which means that it can be affected by GI and such. ) i guess the nice thing is that for the cost of 1000 ( which is quite a bit up front ) would be worth it in the long run because in the past you didnt have to pay very often for upgrades ( if at all ).

It says Maya hair/fur not supported for now. So yes, that is kind of a drawback for me...but I'm willing to take a leap of faith here and wait a few months to see what happens.

ienrdna
07-24-2009, 07:36 PM

In VRay (for Max) Hair&Fur(Shave) can rendered as geometry, and in SP3 through mrHair primitive, duno how works tho.

cheebamonkey
07-24-2009, 08:57 PM
It says Maya hair/fur not supported for now. So yes, that is kind of a drawback for me...but I'm willing to take a leap of faith here and wait a few months to see what happens.

I wouldn't, considering how many years a simple 1.0 release has been in development. It may take a year or more for them to add any additional functionalty.

They're more interested in 3DSMax.

Airflow
07-25-2009, 12:12 AM
Which is why theres a vray solution for nearly every app.

fahr
07-25-2009, 02:10 AM
No hair/fur is disappointing. What is this going to cost? Is it's pricing structure like 3ds max (1 license with unlimited render nodes), or like Mental Ray (1k per cpu)? I, for one, am absolutely appalled that 3ds max users get unlimited net rendering for mental ray, while maya users get completely raped.
For example, i can have 3 copies of Maya, which comes with a maya/mr license for each (I have to render through the maya batch renderer, but so be it). But if I want to render on a 4th machine, I have to either buy another full maya license, or buy EIGHT mental ray standalone licences, which comes to approximately 8 grand. And on top of that, in order to use them, I can no longer use the maya batch renderer, I have to export my scenes to the .MI format before adding them to the farm, which adds an additional layer of complexity to the pipeline that I don't want.
I went round and round with an autodesk rep about how horrible of a deal this was, and his overall attitude was "We don't care if you like it or not, deal with it".
Sorry for the MR rant, but I just want to stress that if VRay is stable and priced well for small studios, then chaosgroup could have a really successful product on their hands... ;)
Maybe chaosgroup can work with Joe Alter and get Shave to support VRay, like, superfast. :)

Airflow
07-25-2009, 02:16 AM
The stuff your on about is already in progress. Vray handled max hair as good as mray did, from the off. They are not a bunch of hacks I assure you.

cheebamonkey
07-25-2009, 06:44 PM
The stuff your on about is already in progress. Vray handled max hair as good as mray did, from the off. They are not a bunch of hacks I assure you.

Yes, but you're talking about Max, which is their main bread and butter. Just because they've been able to do it in Max for years doesn't mean it'll happen soon for Maya. They are pretty much hacking their way through Maya, unfortunately. We'll see what happens over the next year. I'm hoping for a non half-assed release, but we'll see.

tlggungor
07-25-2009, 07:05 PM

:scream::scream::scream: :)exactly I Agree

davijin
07-25-2009, 08:12 PM
agreed lol. i've been waiting for so long to give vray a try on maya, i'm on of the few guys in architecture that use maya and though i've learned to us MR pretty well I wanna have some options for rendering not just photorealistic stuff but 3d diagrams too.

Airflow
07-25-2009, 09:41 PM
Yes, but you're talking about Max, which is their main bread and butter. Just because they've been able to do it in Max for years doesn't mean it'll happen soon for Maya. They are pretty much hacking their way through Maya, unfortunately. We'll see what happens over the next year. I'm hoping for a non half-assed release, but we'll see.

The fact that its taking so long leads me to belive they are doing the same level of work on maya as the did in max and not just chucking out any old bug ridden package.
Its fair to give these guys a chance before shooting them down.

silvia
07-30-2009, 05:47 PM
I would be curious to know if anybody has made any comparison in terms of speed an memory usage between Mental Ray and VRay. Anybody know?

Ptichat
07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
I would be curious to know if anybody has made any comparison in terms of speed an memory usage between Mental Ray and VRay. Anybody know?
Coz of NDA I can't give any kinds of printscreen etc, but...
As far as I test ( didn't push with sss, displace, ect ), the light transport is far better :)

CGTalk Moderation
07-30-2009, 06:30 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.