PDA

View Full Version : Why Z-brush/maya split?

isxaari
07-20-2009, 02:15 AM
Is there any real benefit to making your model outside of z-brush? If so what are they and why do people do it? It just seems like Z can already do great models.

Just wanted to know thats all.

Thanks

PhoenixCG
07-20-2009, 07:50 AM
i hate retopoing my work so i like to make my meshes poly by poly, then go to ZB for details, then back to C4D to clothe and render.

retopoing is good for creating quick form fitting armor though, then it's back to ZB to detail the armor.

btw, if you decide you want animation software Cinema 4D is 50% off this month since you own ZB. i just bought the XL Bundle at sharbor.com for $1150.

isxaari
07-20-2009, 12:44 PM
I don't own it yet. I think I am buying it at the end of the tho.

So animation is why models are done outside of z-brush?

PhoenixCG
07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
it's a preference, but you need an animation package to get a better renderer than what ZB offers anyway so you might as well use all the tools you have at you're disposal. for instance i would use Cinema 4D's bones tool because it's much easier and more reliable than what ZB offers, plus i could also then use their muscle tool as well to place realistice looking animatible muscles underniether the skin of my characters. then i can add realistic cloth that has a built in physics set so that clothing moves naturally as my character does. having an animation package makes ZBrush better, it doesn't take the place of it, i do want to stress that though. go to maxon.com and download the free demo for Cinema 4D to see what an animation package is like, you can PM me if you need some help and i'll try to answer your question. good luck!

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2009, 01:47 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.