PDA

View Full Version : My live action VFX Reel - With Breakdowns

ShaunRoth
07-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Hey all,

I recently just started my third year on the show `Supernatural`as a 3d artist. As such I have updated a demo reel for 2009. This is my first time posting a reel on CG Talk so please any comments and critques, feel free to share them. You can also download a breakdown(pdf) sheet from my website.

Vimeo link - http://www.vimeo.com/5669735

website - www.shaunroth.com

Cheers,

Shaun

jschieck
07-20-2009, 02:28 AM
nice work, i dont remember the scene with dean getting hit that brutal though :cry: haha

ShaunRoth
07-20-2009, 04:01 PM
nice work, i dont remember the scene with dean getting hit that brutal though :cry: haha

ha, yeah I think they cut it half way through the shot in the show. Cut away the instant he was hit.

Silverwing
07-20-2009, 04:27 PM
Wow amazing work... very brutal in most cases but very nice CG integration and amazing FX. I really like your reel. Thumbs up!

Cheers

Silverwing

ShaunRoth
07-20-2009, 09:46 PM
Wow amazing work... very brutal in most cases but very nice CG integration and amazing FX. I really like your reel. Thumbs up!

Cheers

Silverwing

Thanks a lot! Definitely tough working in a tv environment for these kind of shots. Deadlines are so tight, sometimes its painful to just let the shots go as they are. haha

DanMan
07-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey Shaun,

I know it's hard to let shots go given the short schedule at Supernatural but i think your reel looks very polished. Your shots look great!

I'm especially digging that face morph concept at the end of your reel.

MikeRhone
07-27-2009, 05:29 PM
Holy crap dude, I love it! Lot's of tricky stuff in there. Animating ropes can be a huge pain in the ass, how did you do it? Spline IK? wires? How much of the smoke was fumeFX and how much was Maya fluids? Ah... I miss that show.

AngelsThesis
07-28-2009, 02:49 AM
sweet dude,

i always watch the show and admire your work

honour to meet be chattin to u =)

ShaunRoth
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
Holy crap dude, I love it! Lot's of tricky stuff in there. Animating ropes can be a huge pain in the ass, how did you do it? Spline IK? wires? How much of the smoke was fumeFX and how much was Maya fluids? Ah... I miss that show.

Thanks a lot Mike, appreciate the comments.

Yeah the rope was a huge pain. Spline Ik worked really well for this. The noose was a seperate piece parented onto the first bone in the chain with its own set of bones to give it more specific movements. I also used nCloth for the "hanging" part of the noose when necessary.

About half the shots were fumeFX and half were maya fluids. FumeFx smoke has a lot more detail in it. You can see what shots were Fume in my breakdown sheet.

Breakdown (http://www.shaunroth.com/shaunRothBreakdown.pdf)

Cheers,

CGTalk Moderation
07-29-2009, 05:29 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.