PDA

View Full Version : Deep doubt of a newbie

thinkinmonkey
07-19-2009, 11:14 PM
Hi all,
I'm Michael and I'd like to feel confident with anatomy drawing.
I've read a lot of threads on this forum about the matter, so I've bought some books and now I've more spare time to spend with anatomy study, so I'm really confused about what book using first.
I've taken a look to Andrew Loomis' Fun With A Pencil, which is really funny and help to construct a comic face step by step, but giving a fast look, it seems the book is more oriented to comic drawing than realistic one.
So I'm trying to find a book that has (possibly) a step by step lessons about anatomy like Loomis' funny book, but about realistic anatomy.
Now, I've got these books:

Burne Hogarth, Dynamic anatomy for artists (and others)
Jack Hamm, Drawing The Head and Figure
Loomis' all books, especially, Figure drawing for all it's worth
Szunyoghy-Feher, Anatomy reference
Reynes, Human anatomy for artists
The last two are just for reference.
So, if you have some suggestion about the right start, even with a book not in the list, I'll appreciate very much.

Frotze
07-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Hey Michael, welcome on these forums! :)

I can only speak for myself here, but I'm reading Figure Drawing for All It's Worth right now and though it was a great book to start with. Andrew teaches basic perspective lessons, useful proportion rules, and goes gradually from drawing a simple mannikin to how muscles and bones are connected to the body. Although I haven't read the other books you've mentioned, I highly recommend this one.

Moon-Dog
07-20-2009, 04:49 PM
I would say do a lot of life drawing, supplemented by books. Although it's the other way around for me (unfortunately :sad: ), do try to get in some figure studies from life (not just short ones though, try and get a few long hours as well). As for books, you've basically nailed it in your original post. Bridgeman, Hogarth, Loomis, Jack Hamm (a bit more basic) all works out pretty well. You should also get anatomy for the artist by Sarah Simblet/John Davis. It's not much of a 'copy and learn' sort of book, but the photography will keep you glued on. It's great for future references. Good luck with your studies ;).

jfrancis
08-20-2009, 02:39 PM
Glenn Vilppu's anatomy videos (http://www.vilppustore.com/anatdvd.htm)

turtlemock
08-28-2009, 01:48 PM
Along with the books and life drawing sessions I also recommend carrying a sketchbook or sketchbooks and draw people in real life. Go to the park and even do quick sketches of people in motion. It will give you an idea how fluid the human body can be or bodies in a pose.

Myself I got a lot of anatomy insight by drawing Tango dancers.

CGTalk Moderation
08-28-2009, 01:48 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.