PDA

View Full Version : Cant seem to get an answer on vista 64bit

AlfAlpha
07-18-2009, 08:28 PM
Okay, firstly, let me apologize for posting this ubiquitous, and annoying question, but I am a complete techno-loser, with feable understanding at best. That being said. I currently have Zbrush 3.1 installed on an old worn-out 32bit system. I am going to buy a new pc here soon, and need to know about the whole windows Vista 64 bit issue before I spend the money I dont have.

My questions:

Are there separate versions of Zbrush 3.1, one for a 32 bit system, one for a 64 bit system, or is it the same software for both types of systems?

Is there a version of Vista that 3.1 wont work well with, I.E. home edition, etc?

Is there anything else I need to know before making the leap?

I cant thank you guys enough.

_K

RichardMarklew
07-18-2009, 10:14 PM
From the FAQ (http://www.pixologic.com/docs/index.php/User_FAQ) (old but still covers it):

"Is ZBrush 3 64-Bit software?
ZBrush 3 is compiled for 32 bit, but is 64-Bit compatible.
[edit]
I added more RAM to my machine that had 2GB, but it made no difference. Why?
"Unless your operating system is a 64-bit version of Windows adding that extra GB of RAM did pretty much nothing. 32-bit versions of Windows only make a maximum of 2 GB of RAM available to any application. So you still can't set Compact Mem higher than 2000 and the MaxPolysPerMesh needs to be kept at something appropriate to 2 GB.
The only exception to this is if you use the \3GB switch in Windows, which is actually unsupported by Microsoft because it's known to be problematic.
Believe it or not, I've seen some users have worse performance after adding 3 or 4 GB of RAM" - Aurick"

There should be no problems with any version of Vista.
Version 4 is due out in August but it has not been announced if there will be a separate 64bit version

Richard

AlfAlpha
07-19-2009, 01:34 AM
thanks a lot richard. My worry is that I spend all the money on the pc only to not be able to use it for what i bought it for. :)

gpepper
07-22-2009, 09:51 AM
I use vista 64 bits until 2007 with ZB 3.1 and I have no problems with that.
I have 8 gb of ram and ZB likes them ! So you can buy it !

AlfAlpha
07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Thanks a lot.

Bonjour!

_AA

CGTalk Moderation
07-22-2009, 12:15 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.