PDA

View Full Version : DOF not working in Maya Mental Ray

darrell3d
07-17-2009, 08:57 PM
Using Mental Ray in maya 2008 win xp 64 bit.
4 gb ram.

Well I got DOF started but it isn't working great.

I basically picked my render camera, connected the physical lens shader to the mental ray lens slot in its attr editor.
I turned on heads up display object - then clicked my human head in the scene, and wrote down the distance # and pasted it into the plane box of the phy lens shader.
the tutorial i read said put a negative - in front of the number so i did.

when i render it just blurs everything, tried with default production settings in mental ray.

I also tried rendering with batch render to a folder as a iff (with zdepth checked in the render globals) but it didnt give me a z buffer when i opened the pic in fcheck.

Any ideas>?

cbamber85
07-17-2009, 11:58 PM
the tutorial i read said put a negative - in front of the number so i did.This is wrong, read the Architectural Guide in the help file, it gives a great explanation on all the features.
I also tried rendering with batch render to a folder as a iff (with zdepth checked in the render globals) but it didnt give me a z buffer when i opened the pic in fcheck.Have you set up the near and far clip planes for your render camera?

darrell3d
07-18-2009, 12:00 AM
I just have default clipping planes, do you suggest I set it so the far clip plane is just outside my geometry area?

I actualy got the DOF to work in render, I needed to put a value in the cameras focus distance slot. But, I cant get a zbuffer in an image file (for tweakign in post) that won't work for some reason. This is hard.

darrell3d
07-18-2009, 12:55 AM
I have default near and far clip values.

I'm reading that the physical lens shader in mental ray does not output a seperate zbuffer or z pass.

So I guess I have to wait until my scene is final, then render the whole thing with zdepth on, man that is gonna take some time.

cbamber85
07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
I have default near and far clip values.The clip planes set the min and max values of the zdepth channel, they need to be setup properly otherwise your z channel is meaningless.

I'm reading that the physical lens shader in mental ray does not output a seperate zbuffer or z pass.Why would it? Typically z channel's are used to fake DOF in post, what are you using it for?

CGTalk Moderation
07-18-2009, 11:52 AM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.