PDA

View Full Version : Which way do I go?!?!

xMonro
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
I'm a recent high school graduate and just moved to Las Vegas. I'm really interested in becoming a 3D/Texture Artist and wondering what would be the best route for me to take.

I didn't realize that most schools don't offer degrees related to digital art. I also didn't realize that there aren't very many schools here in Las Vegas to choose from.

The only schools that do anything 3d related here is a community college and an Art Institute. Both offer Animation courses, but no straight-up 3d program. The AI isn't really an option for me because it's too expensive and far away.

Would the best option be to:

Take the two year course for Animation at the community college.

Get a bachelors in Art, and get my 3D education through online courses.

Take a Game Design course at an IT Tech school.

Or is there another option I'm not thinking about?

Thanks for your time!

leigh
07-20-2009, 12:42 PM
Get a bachelors in Art, and get my 3D education through online courses.

This is probably the best option in your list, especially if you're wanting to go into texturing, or modelling. Studios these days are definitely becoming more biased in favour of candidates with a traditional art education or background when hiring for positions in their assets departments. Studying art will really help to develop your sense of colour and how to mix colour correctly, which are essential skills for a texture painter. Drawing will help you too, as will any form of painting training. You can easily learn Photoshop and 3D applications on the side, and develop your skills in those in your own time.

xMonro
07-20-2009, 04:05 PM
Thank you for your response, it's definitely appreciated!!!

I've had some artist friends of mine tell me the same thing, so this really puts that option in the most favor. :]

xMonro
07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
Thank you so much for your response, it's definitely appreciated!!!

Some of my artist friends have suggested the same thing, so this option looks like it has the most potential. :]

CGTalk Moderation
07-20-2009, 04:54 PM
This thread has been automatically closed as it remained inactive for 12 months. If you wish to continue the discussion, please create a new thread in the appropriate forum.